Croft retires

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

ginge

Re: Croft Retires

Post by ginge »

One of the best wingers we have had... no better sights in rugby than seeing Crofty soaring above the opposition in a line out or galloping down a wing. He will be missed, Good Luck Tom :smt041
strawclearer
Super User
Super User

Post by strawclearer »

Roly wrote: Thu Nov 16, 2017 1:41 pm Good luck to him and all, but how is this guy a 'Tigers legend'?

He was a very good player for the club (and some might say should have featured more for England) when he was fit - but 'A legend'?

Really?
A legend is defined as someone very famous and admired, usually because of their ability in a particular area. I think Crofty qualifies for many who live and breathe rugby, Tigers, Leicester and Leicestershire/Rutland. Admired by what he did, when he did it, how he did it and for whom!

Back in 2014 when grandson #1 was born, we didn't know if he'd be tall and quick like Tom Croft or a bit shorter and built like a wrecking ball like Tom Youngs . So we decided to just call him Thomas and let nature take its course!
Happy days clearing straw from the pitch before the Baa-Baas games! KBO
Wear a Mask>Protect The NHS>Save Lives
Flash

Post by Flash »

Not that anyone really uses the term wing forward anymore but if you did you couldn't go far wrong with the definition being Crofty.
Grimlish
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Grimlish »

Mark62 wrote: Thu Nov 16, 2017 1:13 pm
Re coaching the old adage that the best players don’t make the best coaches, look at Neil Back for instance. You can’t coach the X factor these players have
He was doing quite a bit of coaching while carrying all those water bottles 😏
Roly
Super User
Super User

Post by Roly »

strawclearer wrote: Thu Nov 16, 2017 1:51 pm
Roly wrote: Thu Nov 16, 2017 1:41 pm Good luck to him and all, but how is this guy a 'Tigers legend'?

He was a very good player for the club (and some might say should have featured more for England) when he was fit - but 'A legend'?

Really?
A legend is defined as someone very famous and admired, usually because of their ability in a particular area. I think Crofty qualifies for many who live and breathe rugby, Tigers, Leicester and Leicestershire/Rutland. Admired by what he did, when he did it, how he did it and for whom!

Back in 2014 when grandson #1 was born, we didn't know if he'd be tall and quick like Tom Croft or a bit shorter and built like a wrecking ball like Tom Youngs . So we decided to just call him Thomas and let nature take its course!
Well, I'm not going to argue with that, maybe he was after all.

I'll remember him more for his line-out prowess than anything else.
“It is no use saying, ‘We are doing our best.’ You have got to succeed in doing what is necessary.” Sir Winston Churchill.
Hot_Charlie
Super User
Super User

Post by Hot_Charlie »

Flash wrote: Thu Nov 16, 2017 1:54 pm Not that anyone really uses the term wing forward anymore but if you did you couldn't go far wrong with the definition being Crofty.
He did spend a lot of time out wide, with good reason too. I remember going up to Headingly to watch an away match when he was a tyro and Goodey was dropping cross kicks left and right to him.

OTY was playing 12 that day too. :smt001 Seems a lifetime ago.
drc_007
Super User
Super User

Post by drc_007 »

Scott11
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Croft retires

Post by Scott11 »

All the best Tom,a genuine world class player in his peak and England's best ever back row lineout forward. Mafi coming in to replace him?.
voice of the crumbie
Super User
Super User

Post by voice of the crumbie »

Really?
Yes really. I think you might find yourself in a very small group if you don't afford him that accolade. How else would you describe someone who in addition to his loyal service at Tigers has the number of England and Lions caps he has, has played the way he has played the game, had his lineout abilities and scored the memorable tries he has. I echo all the sentiments expressed by others who have posted with the exception of your posts in this thread.

Good luck Crofty whatever you decide to do next and thanks for the memories!
Tigers for the premiership and European Cup. Get behind the team and make some noise!!
johnthegriff
Super User
Super User

Post by johnthegriff »

Tom Croft was a great player for Tigers, England and the Lions. A brave but rushed slightly clumsy tackle at the Stoop set in train the series of injuries that have led to his early retirement. This season we saw Tom as Captain lead from the front in our pre-season victory in Bridgend and also cameo performance at home v Ospreys where a brilliant run and off load to set up a try showed the class was still there even if the durability was not. I am relieved that Tom has decided to call it a day whilst still in relative good health and avoided life changing injury.
Thank you Tom for the many exciting performances and good luck with whatever future path you take. :smt006
Maximus66

Post by Maximus66 »

Not posted on here for quite a while...

Tom Croft, an exceptional talent and my favourite player from when I first started going to Welford Road.
The better part of me always hoped to see him in full flight for Tigers again, but I guess it wasn't to be.
Superior line-out technician; who along with Deacs and Parling, made our line-out the one to be feared.

Hang up your boots with pride Crofty.
Tiger. England. Lion :smt038
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

A sad, sad day but I had a feeling this was inevitable.
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

Roly wrote: Thu Nov 16, 2017 12:44 pm Can anyone actually remember the last time he even played professional rugby?
Against Harlequins at home last season?
And also captained the preseason victory at Bridgend whilst set up a try versus the Ospreys at WR
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
Robespierre
Super User
Super User

Post by Robespierre »

JP14 wrote: Thu Nov 16, 2017 3:41 pm A sad, sad day but I had a feeling this was inevitable.
Yes, we've been expecting this announcement for a while now. At his best, his name was one of the first on the team sheet, be it for Tigers, England or Lions. He's without question one Tigers' best wing forwards (yes, I still say wing forward!) ever and for me is a legend of the club. All the best , Tom.
Semper in excretia
tigerburnie
Super User
Super User

Post by tigerburnie »

Great player and a great Tiger, all the best Tom
"If you want entertainment, go to the theatre," says Edinburgh head coach Richard Cockerill. "Rugby players play the game to win.15/1/21.