Croft retires

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Greenwhiteandred
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Croft retires

Post by Greenwhiteandred »

When he was at his peak he was a top player - 2 Lions tours is testament to that. Saw Tom perform exceptionally on many occasions at Welford Road. Thanks Tom for all you have done for our club and happy retirement.
strawclearer
Super User
Super User

Post by strawclearer »

Good insight into what retirement meant to Crofty.....

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/tom- ... ce1e0b1a3e
Happy days clearing straw from the pitch before the Baa-Baas games! KBO
Wear a Mask>Protect The NHS>Save Lives
ourla
Super User
Super User

Post by ourla »

Great article. Thanks for sharing.
jgriffin
Super User
Super User

Post by jgriffin »

One of our great favourites, and when he was on the field in those last few appearances, made others look very second-rate.
Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95
A game played on grass in the open air by teams of XV.
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

jgriffin wrote: Sat Jan 20, 2018 3:28 pm One of our great favourites, and when he was on the field in those last few appearances, made others look very second-rate.
That's because there were many bigger but not many as quick in thought and action. A great player to watch.

Thanks for sharing the article strawclearer. Good to know Tigers have been looking after Tom with his health and retirement and I'm sure he'll be successful in whatever he does next. Surprised he didn't fancy coaching, he was always a thinking man's forward.
wormus
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by wormus »

strawclearer wrote: Sat Jan 20, 2018 11:12 am Good insight into what retirement meant to Crofty.....

Thankyou Strawclearer for this article this is a too frequent occurrence in todays employment world and is very common to those Ministry of Defence servicemen and women who enter straight from school and are cocooned into a sanitised world within and then leave that environment without a plan.
This is the time for family, friends and quality professional counselling and this article is a good sign from Tom that he needs assistance from those about him. I feel sure that Tigers recognise this and will / must support him in his new ventures outside of professional rugby. Good luck Tom you deserve it. :smt023
strawclearer
Super User
Super User

Post by strawclearer »

wormus wrote: Sat Jan 20, 2018 10:08 pm
strawclearer wrote: Sat Jan 20, 2018 11:12 am Good insight into what retirement meant to Crofty.....

Thankyou Strawclearer for this article this is a too frequent occurrence in todays employment world and is very common to those Ministry of Defence servicemen and women who enter straight from school and are cocooned into a sanitised world within and then leave that environment without a plan.
This is the time for family, friends and quality professional counselling and this article is a good sign from Tom that he needs assistance from those about him. I feel sure that Tigers recognise this and will / must support him in his new ventures outside of professional rugby. Good luck Tom you deserve it. :smt023
This is so important and I sincerely hope it's being provided. In one of my earlier reincarnations, I was professionally involved in such counselling. The stages he'll go through are much the same as bereavement - denial, anger, bargaining, depression and acceptance and are how we learn to live with what we've lost. It's not that simple, of course - he'll go backwards and forwards between the stages, eventually arriving (exhausted) at 'acceptance'. It's a very personal journey - even though he'll have thousands of us willing him on.
wormus
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by wormus »

strawclearer wrote: Sat Jan 20, 2018 10:33 pm
wormus wrote: Sat Jan 20, 2018 10:08 pm

This is so important and I sincerely hope it's being provided. In one of my earlier reincarnations, I was professionally involved in such counselling. The stages he'll go through are much the same as bereavement - denial, anger, bargaining, depression and acceptance and are how we learn to live with what we've lost. It's not that simple, of course - he'll go backwards and forwards between the stages, eventually arriving (exhausted) at 'acceptance'. It's a very personal journey - even though he'll have thousands of us willing him on.
Exactly! :smt023
rocktop51
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by rocktop51 »

Roly wrote: Fri Nov 17, 2017 11:33 am
Robespierre wrote: Fri Nov 17, 2017 11:15 am
biffer wrote: Fri Nov 17, 2017 10:44 am I always thought he was a player unlucky to be playing in the era he did. If he'd been in the amateur days he would have been a truly exceptional back row forward, world class in every way, if he was coming through now he'd be a world class centre. Good luck to him.
Aren't most of us agreed - with the exception of you know who, that he was exceptional?
Why do you say he was unlucky to be playing when he did? Loads of caps for England, two Lions tours and one of Tigers' finest seems to say he did alright.
Could he have played centre? Why not, although at 6'5 or 6, he was tailor made for wing forward.
Its all about what your definition of exceptional is....

Personally, I don't think he was - but I do think he was a very good player (you'll have to forgive me, my memory is only so long) and Tigers were lucky to have him. Sorry to see that he has decided to retire.

Its like the definition of 'developmental', your definition might differ from mine, except I'd be right.
Unbelievably arrogant attitude. Must remember to disregard any of your future posts. :smt017

He was/is a class player and a great servant to the club. One of the best back row players I have seen and who knows what he could have achieved had he been injury free. Had he been a Kiwi he certainly would be classed as a legend. Thanks Tom - one of the best :smt023
Hambo :- He was with England when he was injured, but he was a Tigers player, our player. He is still our player.”
Roly
Super User
Super User

Post by Roly »

rocktop51 wrote: Sun Jan 21, 2018 5:05 pm
Robespierre wrote: Fri Nov 17, 2017 11:15 am

Aren't most of us agreed - with the exception of you know who, that he was exceptional?
Why do you say he was unlucky to be playing when he did? Loads of caps for England, two Lions tours and one of Tigers' finest seems to say he did alright.
Could he have played centre? Why not, although at 6'5 or 6, he was tailor made for wing forward.

Personally, I don't think he was - but I do think he was a very good player (you'll have to forgive me, my memory is only so long) and Tigers were lucky to have him. Sorry to see that he has decided to retire.

Its like the definition of 'developmental', your definition might differ from mine, except I'd be right.
He was/is a class player and a great servant to the club. One of the best back row players I have seen and who knows what he could have achieved had he been injury free. Had he been a Kiwi he certainly would be classed as a legend.
Unbelievably arrogant attitude. Must remember to disregard any of your future posts.

See what I did there?

Probably not.
“It is no use saying, ‘We are doing our best.’ You have got to succeed in doing what is necessary.” Sir Winston Churchill.
rocktop51
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by rocktop51 »

Roly wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2018 7:38 am
rocktop51 wrote: Sun Jan 21, 2018 5:05 pm

He was/is a class player and a great servant to the club. One of the best back row players I have seen and who knows what he could have achieved had he been injury free. Had he been a Kiwi he certainly would be classed as a legend.
Unbelievably arrogant attitude. Must remember to disregard any of your future posts.

See what I did there?

Probably not.

Oh yes I did
Hambo :- He was with England when he was injured, but he was a Tigers player, our player. He is still our player.”
strawclearer
Super User
Super User

Post by strawclearer »

Jamie George already setting up a business with an eye on his 'post-rugby' future...

https://www.ruck.co.uk/england-saracens ... -business/

“I’ll still be playing for my club and hopefully at an international level, but Saracens are extremely supportive of their players taking the time to develop their personal profile by branching out into business, and I’m looking forward to doing the team proud with this one!”

Hopefully, Tigers are just as encouraging and supportive. It clearly benefits current players but it also makes the Club more attractive to potential signings.
LE18
Super User
Super User

Post by LE18 »

It's very sad that Croft had to retire, he was a great player who suffered a horrendous neck injury. Its a very sad report really, he could not forget about the institutionalised life of a professional rugby player and still turned up. I really feel for him, its the only working life he knew. I have to say that I am just a little bit surprised that he hadn't really contemplated life after rugby, especially with that horrendous injury. Very sad, wish him well, hope he finds something in rugby.
NONAME
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by NONAME »

Fully agree with Roly...Anyone who didn't think he was a Great Player should have gone to Spec Savers. His line out work was nothing less that brilliant and at his peak his speed would rival any winger in the Premiership.

As far as I Know he is going into events, outdoor activities such as Shooting etc. I know Matt Poole has been helping him so I'm sure he will do well.

Should always be welcome at the Tigers.
G.K
Super User
Super User

Post by G.K »

Well, Tigers don't have a forwards coach and Tom's not busy at the moment, I wonder.......
Nowadays referees decide matches, players by how much.