Croft retires

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Rizzo, Tigerbeat, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

biffer
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 1517
Joined: Thu Sep 15, 2011 4:35 pm

Re: Croft retires

Post by biffer » Fri Nov 17, 2017 10:44 am

I always thought he was a player unlucky to be playing in the era he did. If he'd been in the amateur days he would have been a truly exceptional back row forward, world class in every way, if he was coming through now he'd be a world class centre. Good luck to him.

Roly
Super User
Super User
Posts: 2351
Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 4:02 pm

Re: Croft retires

Post by Roly » Fri Nov 17, 2017 10:53 am

biffer wrote:
Fri Nov 17, 2017 10:44 am
I always thought he was a player unlucky to be playing in the era he did. If he'd been in the amateur days he would have been a truly exceptional back row forward, world class in every way, if he was coming through now he'd be a world class centre. Good luck to him.
Hey, there's a thought - perhaps Tigers should re-sign him as a centre, he's no less crook then the two first choice centres they have at the moment? :smt016
“It is no use saying, ‘We are doing our best.’ You have got to succeed in doing what is necessary.” Sir Winston Churchill.

biffer
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 1517
Joined: Thu Sep 15, 2011 4:35 pm

Re: Croft retires

Post by biffer » Fri Nov 17, 2017 11:11 am

Roly wrote:
Fri Nov 17, 2017 10:53 am
biffer wrote:
Fri Nov 17, 2017 10:44 am
I always thought he was a player unlucky to be playing in the era he did. If he'd been in the amateur days he would have been a truly exceptional back row forward, world class in every way, if he was coming through now he'd be a world class centre. Good luck to him.
Hey, there's a thought - perhaps Tigers should re-sign him as a centre, he's no less crook then the two first choice centres they have at the moment? :smt016
So long as he visits a witch doctor first that should be fine.

Robespierre
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 885
Joined: Mon Feb 01, 2010 6:36 am
Location: Toulouse

Re: Croft retires

Post by Robespierre » Fri Nov 17, 2017 11:15 am

biffer wrote:
Fri Nov 17, 2017 10:44 am
I always thought he was a player unlucky to be playing in the era he did. If he'd been in the amateur days he would have been a truly exceptional back row forward, world class in every way, if he was coming through now he'd be a world class centre. Good luck to him.
Aren't most of us agreed - with the exception of you know who, that he was exceptional?
Why do you say he was unlucky to be playing when he did? Loads of caps for England, two Lions tours and one of Tigers' finest seems to say he did alright.
Could he have played centre? Why not, although at 6'5 or 6, he was tailor made for wing forward.
Semper in excreta

Roly
Super User
Super User
Posts: 2351
Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 4:02 pm

Re: Croft retires

Post by Roly » Fri Nov 17, 2017 11:33 am

Robespierre wrote:
Fri Nov 17, 2017 11:15 am
biffer wrote:
Fri Nov 17, 2017 10:44 am
I always thought he was a player unlucky to be playing in the era he did. If he'd been in the amateur days he would have been a truly exceptional back row forward, world class in every way, if he was coming through now he'd be a world class centre. Good luck to him.
Aren't most of us agreed - with the exception of you know who, that he was exceptional?
Why do you say he was unlucky to be playing when he did? Loads of caps for England, two Lions tours and one of Tigers' finest seems to say he did alright.
Could he have played centre? Why not, although at 6'5 or 6, he was tailor made for wing forward.
Its all about what your definition of exceptional is....

Personally, I don't think he was - but I do think he was a very good player (you'll have to forgive me, my memory is only so long) and Tigers were lucky to have him. Sorry to see that he has decided to retire.

Its like the definition of 'developmental', your definition might differ from mine, except I'd be right.
“It is no use saying, ‘We are doing our best.’ You have got to succeed in doing what is necessary.” Sir Winston Churchill.

mol2
Super User
Super User
Posts: 3041
Joined: Wed May 02, 2007 5:48 pm
Location: Cosby

Re: Croft retires

Post by mol2 » Fri Nov 17, 2017 12:58 pm

Fastest back row player I’ve seen.
Achieved a lot considering the series of major injuries he suffered.

A wing forward in the old sense and a quality line out jumper. Perhaps enevitable that his body would eventually call time on him in an era where back rows are more 6/8 brick outhouses.

biffer
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 1517
Joined: Thu Sep 15, 2011 4:35 pm

Re: Croft retires

Post by biffer » Fri Nov 17, 2017 3:02 pm

Robespierre wrote:
Fri Nov 17, 2017 11:15 am
biffer wrote:
Fri Nov 17, 2017 10:44 am
I always thought he was a player unlucky to be playing in the era he did. If he'd been in the amateur days he would have been a truly exceptional back row forward, world class in every way, if he was coming through now he'd be a world class centre. Good luck to him.
Aren't most of us agreed - with the exception of you know who, that he was exceptional?
Why do you say he was unlucky to be playing when he did? Loads of caps for England, two Lions tours and one of Tigers' finest seems to say he did alright.
Could he have played centre? Why not, although at 6'5 or 6, he was tailor made for wing forward.
I think as Mol says, it's because his style is the classic wing forward, which isn't quite the same thing as what's desired in the modern game. He was the style of back row you expected to turn up amongst the outside backs and create the extra man (and extra panic) rather than doing the dirty stuff at every breakdown, which is what's expected of a Robshaw type.

He only played 4 times for England after 2012, so that's only 4 times after the age of 27, which is when a back row should be at his peak. That was due to injury obviously, but in the same way there's what most people think of skill and talent (good hands, speed, etc) some of which can be coached but a lot of which is down to natural endowment, durability is something that con only be coached to a certain extent; there are people who are more naturally resistant to injury than others imo. But that's an aside, I just feel that if he was 17/18 right now, he would get coached into the backs and do the fourth back rower from the backs role, rather than the extra back from the forwards.

Don't get me wrong, I'd rather watch Croft in the back row than Robshaw any day of the week, it's just a comment on the modern game.

Scott11
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 829
Joined: Tue Mar 21, 2017 12:54 pm

Re: Croft retires

Post by Scott11 » Fri Nov 17, 2017 3:06 pm

And to be a tad more controversial, imagine if Crofty hadve been a Kiwi with his skillset and their coaching! He could've been the original Kieron Read!

Nailsworthstiger
Bronze Member
Bronze Member
Posts: 495
Joined: Tue Jan 20, 2009 8:44 am
Location: Out in the sticks

Re: Croft retires

Post by Nailsworthstiger » Fri Nov 17, 2017 6:05 pm

I remember that tackle he made at The Stoop. Everyone could see it was serious at the time but very sad to think it was the beginning of the end for what I have always thought was a genuine great player.

It is also no surprise that since that day we haven't been quite the same as a team either. Coincidence or not?

Happy retirement TC, but we need you to put something back into our line out. Surely there must be a job there for you.

POSTIGER
Super User
Super User
Posts: 2838
Joined: Wed Dec 21, 2005 10:48 am
Location: In the office pretending to work

Re: Croft retires

Post by POSTIGER » Fri Nov 17, 2017 6:06 pm

Might he fill the vacancy left by Richard Blaze do we think? Not sure he's a lineout guru though as obviously he was predominantly a back row forward.

I've probably answered my own question there actually! :smt001
I saw Marika Vunibaka play

Nailsworthstiger
Bronze Member
Bronze Member
Posts: 495
Joined: Tue Jan 20, 2009 8:44 am
Location: Out in the sticks

Re: Croft retires

Post by Nailsworthstiger » Fri Nov 17, 2017 6:09 pm

Maybe so, but he was always good at catching the ball when it came to him!

I also think we should all give him around of applause on Sunday

strawclearer
Super User
Super User
Posts: 3520
Joined: Thu Feb 07, 2013 11:13 am

Re: Croft retires

Post by strawclearer » Fri Nov 17, 2017 6:28 pm

Nailsworthstiger wrote:
Fri Nov 17, 2017 6:09 pm
Maybe so, but he was always good at catching the ball when it came to him!

I also think we should all give him around of applause on Sunday
I'd heard the club had decided not to do anything this weekend so - maybe the Worcs match?
Happy days clearing straw from the pitch before the Baa-Baas games! KBO
Help save the Oceans - #RefuseTheStraw!

mol2
Super User
Super User
Posts: 3041
Joined: Wed May 02, 2007 5:48 pm
Location: Cosby

Re: Croft retires

Post by mol2 » Fri Nov 17, 2017 9:03 pm

POSTIGER wrote:
Fri Nov 17, 2017 6:06 pm
Might he fill the vacancy left by Richard Blaze do we think? Not sure he's a lineout guru though as obviously he was predominantly a back row forward.

I've probably answered my own question there actually! :smt001
Yes he was a good line out jumper.

That qualifies him no more as a coach than my abilities drinking ale make me a brewer.

G.K
Super User
Super User
Posts: 5645
Joined: Tue Apr 19, 2005 10:19 am
Location: See SatNav

Re: Croft retires

Post by G.K » Sat Nov 18, 2017 9:35 am

Great player, I allways rated hime highly, a real Tigers legend. So thanks toTom and all the best for the future. :smt023
Nowadays referees decide matches, players by how much.

L Smith
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 1750
Joined: Mon May 04, 2009 6:22 pm

Re: Croft retires

Post by L Smith » Sat Nov 18, 2017 10:40 am

In his pomp, he was a joy to watch. Tom made a massive contribution to this club and, before anyone else has the temerity to look negatively upon his injury record, this is a player who effectively destroyed his body, playing for us.
In my book, he is a nailed-on legend.
Thanks for the memories, Tom and enjoy the next chapter.
I refuse to have a battle of wits with an unarmed man

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], Flash, kpj tiger, RichG, Wayne Richardson Fan Club and 2 guests