Genge, Lozowski and Kruis sent back to clubs!

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Scott11
Gold Member
Gold Member

Genge, Lozowski and Kruis sent back to clubs!

Post by Scott11 »

Two of those are ridiculous,one is right. I'll let you decide....
Stephen18
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Re: Genge, Lozowski and Kruis sent back to clubs!

Post by Stephen18 »

Absolutely crazy decisions, I would say genge is now 1st choice better than mako in the scrum and better than marlar in every way, he is absolutely England’s future prop so should be getting 2 years experience before the World Cup. It’s hard to argue eddy and his record but there have been a lot of odd choices recently.
BFG
Super User
Super User

Post by BFG »

TW postcode counts for a lot!
I didn't think Kruis had a great game against Argentina but then very few did!
I wouldn't have Marler anywhere near it, he is just a tight head too weak to actually play it!
Cole is more mobile during matches!
Short sighted IMO, Genge has a lot to learn and a couple of years to do it, players like him could be the difference in two years IMO, but they need the exposure in competitive matches!
kpj tiger
Super User
Super User

Post by kpj tiger »

Stephen18 wrote: Tue Nov 14, 2017 4:32 pm Absolutely crazy decisions, I would say genge is now 1st choice better than mako in the scrum and better than marlar in every way, he is absolutely England’s future prop so should be getting 2 years experience before the World Cup. It’s hard to argue eddy and his record but there have been a lot of odd choices recently.
Mako is definitely still ahead of Genge but i'd say he should be ahead of Marler, for me it shows Jones is worried and hes gonna stick with tried and tested
Tiglon
Super User
Super User

Post by Tiglon »

I never understand the accusations of London bias - why would an Australian coach favour players simply because they play in London?

It's obvious that Marler as a person is not everyone's cup of tea, but he is clearly a very good player nonetheless. Of the 3 he is arguably the best at scrum time.
BFG
Super User
Super User

Post by BFG »

Tiglon wrote: Tue Nov 14, 2017 5:28 pm I never understand the accusations of London bias - why would an Australian coach favour players simply because they play in London?

It's obvious that Marler as a person is not everyone's cup of tea, but he is clearly a very good player nonetheless. Of the 3 he is arguably the best at scrum time.
It's not London bias, it's TW bias, been around longer than Eddie and will still be around after.
I don't particularly like Marler and he alone could put me off watching England!
I am no snob but he has no class at all, it's not his actions it's his manner, he has the personality of a house brick in my opinion!
He wouldn't have a single cap were he anything other than Robshaw's mate but that apart yes he can scrummage on the little boys side but not enough to beat the best, we have been there and seen it all before, my word he is so slow it's unreal!
Besides I think kpj is right Eddie is worried and going back to type, which is a shame, still time to change it if it goes wrong, it'll just be a bit closer to crunch time!
wormus
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by wormus »

BFG wrote: Tue Nov 14, 2017 4:44 pm I wouldn't have Marler anywhere near it, he is just a tight head too weak to actually play it!
I always thought that Joe Marler was a loose head prop No.1 not a tight head.
Whilst I believe Eddie Jones is using his options in these games I am pleased to see Gengie back v Sale but wish Eddie had retained Solomona of Sale in the squad.
Let's hope Tonga release some of the Tongan Tigers too.
BFG
Super User
Super User

Post by BFG »

wormus wrote: Tue Nov 14, 2017 6:10 pm
BFG wrote: Tue Nov 14, 2017 4:44 pm I wouldn't have Marler anywhere near it, he is just a tight head too weak to actually play it!
I always thought that Joe Marler was a loose head prop No.1 not a tight head.
Whilst I believe Eddie Jones is using his options in these games I am pleased to see Gengie back v Sale but wish Eddie had retained Solomona of Sale in the squad.
Let's hope Tonga release some of the Tongan Tigers too.
My point about Marler is that he plays at loose head and is slower than a tight head!
I assume he can't cope at tight head otherwise he'd play there!
He doesn't do anywhere near enough around the park to be an international loose head IMO, and his scrummaging isn't that great anyway, folk seem to be under the impression that he is some sort of scrummaging messiah but he gets shamed regularly!
Tiglon
Super User
Super User

Post by Tiglon »

BFG wrote: Tue Nov 14, 2017 6:00 pm
Tiglon wrote: Tue Nov 14, 2017 5:28 pm I never understand the accusations of London bias - why would an Australian coach favour players simply because they play in London?

It's not London bias, it's TW bias, been around longer than Eddie and will still be around after.
I don't particularly like Marler and he alone could put me off watching England!
I am no snob but he has no class at all, it's not his actions it's his manner, he has the personality of a house brick in my opinion!
He wouldn't have a single cap were he anything other than Robshaw's mate but that apart yes he can scrummage on the little boys side but not enough to beat the best, we have been there and seen it all before, my word he is so slow it's unreal!
Besides I think kpj is right Eddie is worried and going back to type, which is a shame, still time to change it if it goes wrong, it'll just be a bit closer to crunch time!
Well now I'm confused - is Marler picked because he plays in TW (a bias which all England coaches automatically adopt when they take the job?), or because he's Robshaw's mate? I think both are ridiculous.

I've never had a conversation with Marler, so I couldn't really comment on his personality. I assume you know him well?

I can understand an argument for saying players like Armand and Genge are better than Robshaw and Marler, even though I might respectfully disagree, what I can't understand is the need to over-criticise Robshaw and Marler in such a hyperbolic and sometimes abusive manner.

I've no doubt Genge will get plenty of game time under Jones, it just won't be this weekend. Perhaps Jones believes there are areas he still needs to work on? He is after all, despite his incredible potential, still very young and inexperienced.
Mark62
Super User
Super User

Post by Mark62 »

Wouldn’t surprise me to see all 3 back in the match day 23 for the Samoa game
BFG
Super User
Super User

Post by BFG »

Tiglon wrote: Tue Nov 14, 2017 8:45 pm
BFG wrote: Tue Nov 14, 2017 6:00 pm

Well now I'm confused - is Marler picked because he plays in TW (a bias which all England coaches automatically adopt when they take the job?), or because he's Robshaw's mate? I think both are ridiculous.

I've never had a conversation with Marler, so I couldn't really comment on his personality. I assume you know him well?

I can understand an argument for saying players like Armand and Genge are better than Robshaw and Marler, even though I might respectfully disagree, what I can't understand is the need to over-criticise Robshaw and Marler in such a hyperbolic and sometimes abusive manner.

I've no doubt Genge will get plenty of game time under Jones, it just won't be this weekend. Perhaps Jones believes there are areas he still needs to work on? He is after all, despite his incredible potential, still very young and inexperienced.
It's pretty funny but you ridicule me and suggest I'm abusive in the same post, thanks by the way it made me laugh! :smt005
You are being pedantic in my opinion but that's nothing new, I don't know Marler nor do I ever wish to, my opinion on him is as a player, obviously! :smt015
Robshaw I can accept even if I might pick another, gives his all, leads by example and is a great example!
Marler, sorry no, not a very good player, not a great recent record of behaviour and what's with the silly hair, has been around too long IMO and who can forget the poor scrummaging at the last World Cup, time to move on!
The Quins are lucky to be there, Brown and Robshaw I can see why even if I'd go for others but Marler and Care, sorry no, in by association IMO!
Genge and Dan Robson easily better for me!
Bateman is a better loose head prop than Marler, but I suppose you will call that ridiculous if you disagree!
voice of the crumbie
Super User
Super User

Post by voice of the crumbie »

For the record Marler has attempted to play tight head.

I remember a game a few seasons ago when he came up against Marcos Ayerza. From memory Marcos stuffed him in the scrum so at a subsequent breakdown he pulled at Marcos's scrum cap and the resultant fracas led to them both being carded.

I've always considered him a thug with a stupid haircut and disciplinary issues.
Tigers for the premiership and European Cup. Get behind the team and make some noise!!
voice of the crumbie
Super User
Super User

Post by voice of the crumbie »

voice of the crumbie wrote: Tue Nov 14, 2017 10:58 pm For the record Marler has attempted to play tight head.

I remember a game a few seasons ago when he came up against Marcos Ayerza. From memory Marcos stuffed him in the scrum so at a subsequent breakdown he pulled at Marcos's scrum cap and the resultant fracas led to them both being carded.

I've always considered him a thug with a stupid haircut and disciplinary issues.
Just reviewed the incident on you tube. It seems my memory was inaccurate. Marler was playing loosehead that day. Both players were red carded.

I do however remember Marler playing tighthead against Ayerza at some time in the past. I must have mixed up two different matches.
Tigers for the premiership and European Cup. Get behind the team and make some noise!!
Roly
Super User
Super User

Post by Roly »

Stephen18 wrote: Tue Nov 14, 2017 4:32 pm Absolutely crazy decisions, I would say genge is now 1st choice better than mako in the scrum and better than marlar in every way, he is absolutely England’s future prop so should be getting 2 years experience before the World Cup. It’s hard to argue eddy and his record but there have been a lot of odd choices recently.
If you think Genge is 1st choice better than Mako in the scrum, then I'm really glad you aren't picking the team for England.

In a toss up between Genge and Marler, I'd take EJ's decision every time.
“It is no use saying, ‘We are doing our best.’ You have got to succeed in doing what is necessary.” Sir Winston Churchill.
Roly
Super User
Super User

Post by Roly »

voice of the crumbie wrote: Tue Nov 14, 2017 10:58 pm .
So when was he last yellow carded?

When was he last red carded? (nearly 60 matches ago is the answer).

There's always going to be niggle in the front row and the perception can be that thuggery is prevalent. Marler is no angel, and I personally don't find his on-pitch persona agreeable, but he does the job for Eddie, there's no point getting rid of him because some on here think the golden child Genge is now somehow a shoe-in for the position after less than 5 appearances for his country.
“It is no use saying, ‘We are doing our best.’ You have got to succeed in doing what is necessary.” Sir Winston Churchill.