England Team v Los Pumas

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

123HEAVE

England Team v Los Pumas

Post by 123HEAVE »

Thoughts???

I actually think it's a very exciting team. Glad to see Genge on the bench and hope he gets a good 20/30 mins to show what he's made of. Great to see Henry Slade get his chance too, in my opinion he has been the 'in form' centre this season.

Although Los Pumas will put up a good fight I can't see us losing and think we will put a few tries past them!
Chobbsy
Super User
Super User

Re: England Team v Los Pumas

Post by Chobbsy »

123HEAVE wrote: Thu Nov 09, 2017 1:29 pm Thoughts???

I actually think it's a very exciting team. Glad to see Genge on the bench and hope he gets a good 20/30 mins to show what he's made of. Great to see Henry Slade get his chance too, in my opinion he has been the 'in form' centre this season.

Although Los Pumas will put up a good fight I can't see us losing and think we will put a few tries past them!
Exciting until you get to 2
God created rugby so footballers have heros too
tigerburnie
Super User
Super User

Post by tigerburnie »

Ideal time to experiment, but players playing out of position is not really telling you anything, a couple of players past their use by date too, would have liked to see a couple of young guns in their, but with the likes of Itoje rested, not too bad a side.
"If you want entertainment, go to the theatre," says Edinburgh head coach Richard Cockerill. "Rugby players play the game to win.15/1/21.
Roly
Super User
Super User

Post by Roly »

Chobbsy wrote: Thu Nov 09, 2017 3:15 pm
123HEAVE wrote: Thu Nov 09, 2017 1:29 pm Thoughts???

Exciting until you get to 2
Haters gotta hate.

Eddie Jones is a top coach, as proved by his record with England and in previous jobs.

Hartley has proven his quality at international level, whether he is better than George is just a matter of opinion.
“It is no use saying, ‘We are doing our best.’ You have got to succeed in doing what is necessary.” Sir Winston Churchill.
Will S
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Will S »

I don't have a problem between Hartley and George. Both will play a significant part and if you assume both will play then most will agree Hartley is probably better to start as he offers leadership, experience and will get stuck in. George coming off the bench against a more tired team will offer him more opportunity to showcase his dynamism.
Roly
Super User
Super User

Post by Roly »

Will S wrote: Fri Nov 10, 2017 11:07 am I don't have a problem between Hartley and George. Both will play a significant part and if you assume both will play then most will agree Hartley is probably better to start as he offers leadership, experience and will get stuck in. George coming off the bench against a more tired team will offer him more opportunity to showcase his dynamism.
I think that come the WC, George will be the incumbent - and you've got the likes of Cowan-Dickie coming through. So will Hartley even be around? The haters would like to think not.
“It is no use saying, ‘We are doing our best.’ You have got to succeed in doing what is necessary.” Sir Winston Churchill.
baz1664
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by baz1664 »

Have to say what a flat performance and atmosphere in the stadium, like a training match, England lacking intensity, missing Farrell in the midfield, Slade is not in his class, pack wobbling at the scrum, surely George has to be the number one hooker, Joseph and Roko look ineffective, only real positive is the tackling machine Underhill, outstanding talent!!
drc_007
Super User
Super User

Post by drc_007 »

baz1664 wrote: Sat Nov 11, 2017 4:32 pm Have to say what a flat performance and atmosphere in the stadium, like a training match, England lacking intensity, missing Farrell in the midfield, Slade is not in his class, pack wobbling at the scrum, surely George has to be the number one hooker, Joseph and Roko look ineffective, only real positive is the tackling machine Underhill, outstanding talent!!
Joseph looks really out of form and it is having an impact on those around him. Slade looks good one minute then makes an error the next.

Underhill is a very destructive tackler but seems to do little else.

et's hope they can get their game together for the next match against Australia.
Robespierre
Super User
Super User

Post by Robespierre »

What a dire match! Pity the Twickenham spectators who would have paid an arm and a leg to watch that.
Unless there's more fire in their bellies, England could be taken to the cleaners next week. The only plus for me was Underhill.
Semper in excretia
Mark62
Super User
Super User

Post by Mark62 »

Underhill is a tackling machine but at the moment doesn’t offer much elsewhere and gave away a couple of stupid penalties.
If he is to play 7 England need a bigger ball carrier than Robshaw at 6, possibly Lawes.
Next week midfield needs to be Ford, Farrell and Slade
Scott11
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Scott11 »

Slade has the touch of the 36 about him,genius one minute awful the next. I thought the scrum was ok,see Cole got a nudge on at times then Mako would fold or pop up,a scrummaging LH he isn't,great everywhere else though! Very poor game but a first run out since March while the Argies have been together a while. Nice little cameo by Genge a meaty carry,couple of big tackles and a nice counter ruck which wasn't supported. Kruis and Daly very poor and could be casualties next week.
Leicestertinytiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Leicestertinytiger »

Thought the centres offered nothing, and for all the hype Slade was poor with his passing. Robshaw too didn’t have a great game. Would have liked Haskell at 6 but he isn’t in the squad so for the next game would like to see:

Vunipola Hartley Cole
Itoje Kruis
Robshaw Underhill Hughes
Youngs Ford
Farrell Daly
May Brown Watson
Mark62
Super User
Super User

Post by Mark62 »

Leicestertinytiger wrote: Sat Nov 11, 2017 8:33 pm Thought the centres offered nothing, and for all the hype Slade was poor with his passing. Robshaw too didn’t have a great game. Would have liked Haskell at 6 but he isn’t in the squad so for the next game would like to see:

Vunipola Hartley Cole
Itoje Kruis
Robshaw Underhill Hughes
Youngs Ford
Farrell Daly
May Brown Watson
Haskell form is not good enough to be Wasps first choice let alone be in the England team.
You could never play him and Underhill in the same back row
Tiglon
Super User
Super User

Post by Tiglon »

I liked the energy and intent in attack from England, but far too many errors and failed to capitalise on too many opportunities. Need to be a lot more clinical next weekend.

I'm not sure how many more chances Slade will get for England, he simply isn't showing any kind of consistency and despite his undoubted talent I wouldn't feel comfortable relying on him to execute correctly in a crunch moment.

Ford did a great impression of Toomua with his pass for Hughes' try.

Underhill is indeed a tackling machine, and will be a useful player for England - as part of the right back row. Will maybe become a Joe Worsley "horses for courses" kind of player at international level. Hopefully the silly penalties were a result of trying too hard to make an impact, and will disappear with time.

Nathan Hughes looked more effective than I've seen him for England, some good carries.

Joseph looks like a man who peaked a year or two ago, but I'm hoping he'll prove me wrong soon!

Work to do, but it is another win. The England fixture list needs looking at too - what was the benefit of playing Argentina so many times recently?

Looking forward to a better encounter with the Aussies after their strong showing in Wales.
BFG
Super User
Super User

Post by BFG »

Argentina are physical, there were good aspects to England but they struggled to break Argentina down.
England lacked bulk up front, Hughes showed that up, and to be honest a bit of fight later on, George does not impress me at international level when it's tough.
England also lacked pace in midfield and are trying to fit in names again IMO, Lozowski made an instant impact, Daly surely has to play at 13 for now, May and Roko on the wings and Watson at full back, Ford and Farrell at 10 and 12!
Rokodoguni wasn't given enough ball to use and given how tight it was he looked like England's best threat, but they just couldn't work it to him enough, Argentina mostly had it covered!
Big question, when all fit can Billy V and Hughes play on the same starting back row?
I'd have the young flanker Willis in from Wasps to develop up to 2019, Underhill got MoM, no way!