What's wrong with WR

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

trendylfj
Super User
Super User

What's wrong with WR

Post by trendylfj »

I would love someone from the higher echelons of the game to explain to me what is wrong with WR. We all know about the pitch size reason for not getting a world cup fixture, but why do we never get representative games or a competition final. It was announced yesterday that Kingsholm would be the venue of the final of the Anglo-Welsh cup. Franklin's Garden get England Saxon's (I think) and lower age group games as do other clubs. Surely there is not a minimum pitch size for these matches which exclude WR from hosting these games? How can it be ok for group matches but not for the final? Bemused!!!!
Hehehehehehehehe
JP14
Super User
Super User

Re: What's wrong with WR

Post by JP14 »

I think the RFU didn’t select WR as a World Cup venue because it apparently access wasn’t as good as the King Power Stadium, pathetic excuse in my opinion. Personally I think the real reason was because Cohen and the RFU had a falling out or something like that.
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
TigersAdminPudz

Post by TigersAdminPudz »

Hi Trendy,

One of the problems with Welford Road, would you believe, is that we’re too big. On a couple of occasions we’ve not been selected as the expected crowds were low and there are concerns as to the look of that in a larger stadium. The Anglo-Welsh final had a crowd of 5-6k last year for instance.

Also the costs are relatively high for us to open the stadium and the financial return relatively low for these types of game so there’s not a great case for hosting.

We recently pitched for a ladies 6 nations match, to run alongside a first XV match as we felt that was a great showcase, and a guaranteed rugby crowd but the RFU were worried about the external facilities we would have used for this to work.

So...I guess what we’re saying is that there’s no problem with Tigers HQ....particularly in our opinion.
Hot_Charlie
Super User
Super User

Post by Hot_Charlie »

TigersAdminPudz wrote: Sun Nov 05, 2017 1:33 pm Hi Trendy,

One of the problems with Welford Road, would you believe, is that we’re too big.
Exactly. They won't hold a final at WR where they'll be lucky to get 10k tickets sold. The only time it could work is if the right teams got to the final. So Tigers really.
trendylfj
Super User
Super User

Post by trendylfj »

One of the problems with Welford Road, would you believe, is that we’re too big. On a couple of occasions we’ve not been selected as the expected crowds were low and there are concerns as to the look of that in a larger stadium. The Anglo-Welsh final had a crowd of 5-6k last year for instance.

Also the costs are relatively high for us to open the stadium and the financial return relatively low for these types of game so there’s not a great case for hosting.

We recently pitched for a ladies 6 nations match, to run alongside a first XV match as we felt that was a great showcase, and a guaranteed rugby crowd but the RFU were worried about the external facilities we would have used for this to work.

So...I guess what we’re saying is that there’s no problem with Tigers HQ....particularly in our opinion.
Thanks for the explanation - only 6834 at the Stoop last years so I now understand.
Hehehehehehehehe
wormus
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by wormus »

*** Last night @ 21:00hrs having returned from the game I clicked Webcam accidently rather than Messageboard only to see the full floodlights still on at that time, no wonder costs are high! drop them down to 25% to clear up them don't forget to switch them off - simple cost reductions.... *****

*** It would be great to see and encourage the advancement of the Ladies game here at Tigers, yes we all know the present changing rooms are probably the worst in the league and separate portacabin facilities would be needed but this would move the game and hopefully our facilities forward for the future :smt023
Tigerbeat

Post by Tigerbeat »

Wormus, the floodlights would have bern on so that the groundstaff could complete the after match work required on the pitch. They are their for several hours after the game ends. There was also some Prima rugby which took place after the 1st Team game so not sure what time that finished.
SUPPORT THE MATT HAMPSON TRUST
www.matthampson.co.uk
wormus
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by wormus »

Tigerbeat wrote: Sun Nov 05, 2017 4:17 pm Wormus, the floodlights would have bern on so that the groundstaff could complete the after match work required on the pitch. They are their for several hours after the game ends. There was also some Prima rugby which took place after the 1st Team game so not sure what time that finished.
Thanks Tigerbeat, I will let you research what time the after match events finished but not to "notch down" the light levels and save valuable monies whilst servicing the grounds is bad management, why "bern!" more electricity than necessary, not the first time - once left on until 23:00hrs so I was told.
Tiglon
Super User
Super User

Post by Tiglon »

Just to play devil's advocate...

I'm pretty sure risk assessments done on groundsmen carrying carrying out work on the pitch after dark would specify the need for full lighting. Just imagine if one of them hurt themselves because the lights were dimmed and visibility was impaired. Proceed directly to court, give said groundsman big chunk of cash.

Penny pinching isn't always the best way to save money, and the welfare of employees should always come before cost efficiency.
strawclearer
Super User
Super User

Post by strawclearer »

Tiglon wrote: Sun Nov 05, 2017 4:58 pm Just to play devil's advocate...

I'm pretty sure risk assessments done on groundsmen carrying carrying out work on the pitch after dark would specify the need for full lighting. Just imagine if one of them hurt themselves because the lights were dimmed and visibility was impaired. Proceed directly to court, give said groundsman big chunk of cash.

Penny pinching isn't always the best way to save money, and the welfare of employees should always come before cost efficiency.
Quite right - although most of my past employers left me in the dark! (Didn't change much when I was self-employed!)
Happy days clearing straw from the pitch before the Baa-Baas games! KBO
Wear a Mask>Protect The NHS>Save Lives
BigDan50
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by BigDan50 »

I think another problem with WR is that on the TV the stadium is not aesthetically pleasing, although it's the second largest rugby ground in the premiership it's a mishmash of four very individual stands two of which are not very pleasant to look at.
I think the most attractive ground on the TV in the premiership is The Saints ground followed by Gloucesters stadium and maybe that's why WR doesn't get given any finals.
Personally I think the powers that be would find Baths ground a more attractive arena to play finals, we all know its in the most stunning city to visit and the stadium is situated in the the most attractive setting, having seen the plans for the Bath stadium for when they get planning permission I think they will be given a vast majority of finals in the future.
johnthegriff
Super User
Super User

Post by johnthegriff »

Northampton; Good enough stadium.
Bath; Awful facilities. and very poor viewing from the sides. Difficult to get to.
Gloucester; I enjoy but the shed is just that and makes our Crumbie stand look good. The modern stand was built with support post to mar viewing.
Harlequins; Good enough stadium.
Exeter; Good enough stadium with large in goal area,
Saracens; Rubbish facilities and rubber pitch.
London Irish; A football ground and too big.
Newcastle; Doing a great job of improving stadium and facilities, still a little way to go, geographical location inconvenient.
Sale; Good enough stadium, not easy to get in and out of.
Worcester; Good enough stadium but not a grass pitch although it looks ok to play on.
Wasps. A football ground and too big, good facilities though.
Tigers; A good enough stadium with three modern stands and one traditional old stand. Changing rooms a bit limited now there are 23 players in a match day squad but it is the largest custom built dedicated Rugby Union Ground in the country outside of Twickenham, and I love it!
Cardiff Tig
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Cardiff Tig »

The facilities in the Crumbie stand are the issue. There aren't enough individual rooms for drug testing, HIA's etc, which all need specific rooms in order for WR to hold internationals & cup finals. Plus the changing rooms aren't big enough either.

Once that stand is updated we might stand a chance of getting more games.
mol2
Super User
Super User

Post by mol2 »

Wasn’t one of the reasons was that the pitch was too short for international matches?
strawclearer
Super User
Super User

Post by strawclearer »

mol2 wrote: Mon Nov 06, 2017 7:45 pm Wasn’t one of the reasons was that the pitch was too short for international matches?
...which also resulted in the 'in goal' area being too shallow?
Happy days clearing straw from the pitch before the Baa-Baas games! KBO
Wear a Mask>Protect The NHS>Save Lives