Tigers v Glaws

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Re: Tigers v Glaws

Post by sam16111986 »

RagingBull wrote: Sun Nov 05, 2017 12:30 pm But those 3 all have the ability to create something Simmons especially (Although he demonstrated more control and showed off his kicking game yesterday he has a very big skill set and is :censored: quick for a 9 off the mark), I really hope we keep Olowofela because we seem to be letting every academy winger go recently (Odogwu, Yayawaya, Davis), he has some filling out to do still but he is very quick and has an excellent eye for the gap.
Simmons was very impressive yesterday. He looked like an experienced 9 with a couple of AP seasons under his belt and not like an academy player making a rare start. Really liked how he didn't over play and try to prove a point to MOC. Just made good decisions and varied his play. White looked good when he came off the bench as well, really nice pass from the base. One thing our academy seems to be excellent at is producing scrum halfs.
FrontRowUnionMember
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by FrontRowUnionMember »

Finally caught up with the game today.
Simmons, did not look raw at all, ran the game well against an opposite number who has been in and around a fair bit of AP gametime.
Holmes, looked very good I thought, picked a nice line for his try, finished it well, looked at rangy runner like May, but also showed real ability in defence, made smart decisions and executed.
Thacker and Pakalani, I thought both showed glimpses of real spark in attack, but perhaps became guilty of trying too many offloads when at times holding on was the right decision. Can't fault the enthusiasm, but maybe trying too hard to stand out and win a shot at the AP starting lineup.
Worth just looks a tidy all round player, not sure he has that extra gear to go further, but definitely has a real rounded skillet, and seems to see the bigger picture rather than just what's directly infront of him.
As for the pack, front row, steady, no more than that. Wells continues to impress with his intensity, plus I've been impressed with the work ethic Tuohy brings. Lewis I saw less of, Evans was his usual effective self, and as for Tuilagi, I thought he was actually quite busy, not just carrying but around the breakdown, however I would like to see him concentrate more on being like his Uncle Henry, and being more of a wrecking ball than breakdown work.
Roly
Super User
Super User

Post by Roly »

ourla wrote: Sat Nov 04, 2017 9:49 pm Mmmm... not sure what people were expecting from such an inexperienced/rusty team.

We were fortunate to win but the game was largely not about the result.
So it is a developmental tournament?
“It is no use saying, ‘We are doing our best.’ You have got to succeed in doing what is necessary.” Sir Winston Churchill.
Chobbsy
Super User
Super User

Post by Chobbsy »

I didn't see the match but did Cowboy Chris Baumann get any time and if he did how did he get on?
God created rugby so footballers have heros too
kpj tiger
Super User
Super User

Post by kpj tiger »

Chobbsy wrote: Mon Nov 06, 2017 8:07 am I didn't see the match but did Cowboy Chris Baumann get any time and if he did how did he get on?
he did come on and didn't look great IMO, he held his own in a couple scrums but got beasted in a couple too and that Gloucester front row wasn't anything crazy
ourla
Super User
Super User

Post by ourla »

Roly wrote: Mon Nov 06, 2017 7:41 am
ourla wrote: Sat Nov 04, 2017 9:49 pm Mmmm... not sure what people were expecting from such an inexperienced/rusty team.

What is your definition of a "developmental tournament"?
Chobbsy
Super User
Super User

Post by Chobbsy »

kpj tiger wrote: Mon Nov 06, 2017 11:07 am
Chobbsy wrote: Mon Nov 06, 2017 8:07 am I didn't see the match but did Cowboy Chris Baumann get any time and if he did how did he get on?
he did come on and didn't look great IMO, he held his own in a couple scrums but got beasted in a couple too and that Gloucester front row wasn't anything crazy
Not what you expect from a seasoned International, needs to get his Cowboy grit back
God created rugby so footballers have heros too
Roly
Super User
Super User

Post by Roly »

ourla wrote: Mon Nov 06, 2017 11:49 am

A tournament that allows the development of players through exposure to matches that they would not normally experience. I'm not sure what else 'developmental' could mean within context.
“It is no use saying, ‘We are doing our best.’ You have got to succeed in doing what is necessary.” Sir Winston Churchill.
kpj tiger
Super User
Super User

Post by kpj tiger »

Chobbsy wrote: Mon Nov 06, 2017 12:34 pm
kpj tiger wrote: Mon Nov 06, 2017 11:07 am
Not what you expect from a seasoned International, needs to get his Cowboy grit back
Traynor wasn't spectacular either (although did slightly better than Baumann) and he is an international
BFG
Super User
Super User

Post by BFG »

Roly wrote: Mon Nov 06, 2017 12:57 pm
ourla wrote: Mon Nov 06, 2017 11:49 am

A tournament that allows the development of players through exposure to matches that they would not normally experience. I'm not sure what else 'developmental' could mean within context.
Strange as if sides are filled with young players then they will pretty much face the same old new faces!
It's a very interesting debate to be had around the AWC!
I see AWC matches more as a test of where unestablished players are, it's not the exposure in matches where you learn, that's where you find out what you have learned.
Learning is in training with senior players and coaches and then in matches try and translate that learning onto the pitch in a pressure situation if able, that's where winning comes into the equation.
What some might view as a good performance might also be viewed as a rather immature performance in terms of senior rugby transition.
You could also tell when players have been listening to coaches or completely ignored a coaches influence and listened to their parents instead, a sort of win the crowd mentality instead of win the match.
It can be a very complex situation for coaches as what fits at one level doesn't always fit at another level which is why listening to what their coaches want and seeing if they can translate it is so important!
I'm always interested in what coaches say about these matches, and sometimes what they don't say!
ellis9
Super User
Super User

Post by ellis9 »

I couldn't care less if it's a developmental tournament or not. It is still a tournament that we are capable of winning and I certainly don't turn my nose up when another trophy goes into our already large and well loaded cabinet.
BFG
Super User
Super User

Post by BFG »

ellis9 wrote: Mon Nov 06, 2017 1:34 pm I couldn't care less if it's a developmental tournament or not. It is still a tournament that we are capable of winning and I certainly don't turn my nose up when another trophy goes into our already large and well loaded cabinet.
So you only care if they win it?
Fair play, that's true fan talk! :smt038
Roly
Super User
Super User

Post by Roly »

ellis9 wrote: Mon Nov 06, 2017 1:34 pm I couldn't care less if it's a developmental tournament or not. It is still a tournament that we are capable of winning and I certainly don't turn my nose up when another trophy goes into our already large and well loaded cabinet.
Er, yeah. Thanks for that.
Scott11
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Scott11 »

I enjoy the AWC but don't put too much emphasis on it. It's for up and comers and rehabbing players imo. Its at a level between the A league and the AP so you can guage players potential ability. It gets my back up when other teams start sneaking the big guns in as the comp progresses,I do believe last season we were very consistent in our selections.
Roly
Super User
Super User

Post by Roly »

Scott11 wrote: Mon Nov 06, 2017 2:01 pm I enjoy the AWC but don't put too much emphasis on it. It's for up and comers and rehabbing players imo. Its at a level between the A league and the AP so you can guage players potential ability. It gets my back up when other teams start sneaking the big guns in as the comp progresses,I do believe last season we were very consistent in our selections.
Certainly, the English teams appeared to make team selections which were 'in the spirit' of the competition this weekend - indeed, I was only able to recognise Tim Visser from the Quins line-up yesterday from both teams - maybe Tomkins for Sarries actually. Visser was a late replacement and had been on holiday overseas until Wednesday.

My point I think was that by giving these young men a game, they are surely being developed - ergo, it must therefore be a developmental tournament - others have disagreed. But when you start talking about the result not being the be all and end all of these matches, then surely you're conceding the 'developmental' nature of this competition?