Tigers v Glaws

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

BFG
Super User
Super User

Re: Tigers v Glaws

Post by BFG »

LE18 wrote: Sat Nov 04, 2017 5:54 pm For what its worth, Blodwyn and Stevie thought Tuilagi Jnr had a good game.
In the context of that game today I think he did alright, playing at 8 is not an easy position for a rookie and an armchair ride it was not!
He is not a Premiership standard player but this wasn't a Premiership game, it was some way off in intensity and decision making of the Premiership but he did no worse than anyone else up front IMO but obviously the expectations are high and a lot for anyone to live up to.
He took some moving off the ruck I could see that much!
Despite the regular name bashing I can see why he is being developed as a potential forward and time will tell!
kpj tiger
Super User
Super User

Post by kpj tiger »

BFG wrote: Sat Nov 04, 2017 7:29 pm
kpj tiger wrote: Sat Nov 04, 2017 6:47 pm
BFG wrote: Sat Nov 04, 2017 6:08 pm I think Worth is a better centre prospect at the top level than Thacker who lacks gas in defence and showboats too much IMO
Your probably right but I think we might see Worth take on Taits role of utility back once he retires which keeps the door for Thacker open a bit
Worth looks a very good player, may not appear quite as flash as some but transitioning into the top level where mistakes are punished I think his game is very solid and he can get better.
Agreed, aren't many people his age that can play 10, 12, 13, 15 at a good level
wormus
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by wormus »

LE18 wrote: Sat Nov 04, 2017 5:54 pm For what its worth, Blodwyn and Stevie thought Tuilagi Jnr had a good game.
Well Glous. No. 8 Gareth Evans saw the "Stars quality! of Fred Tuilagi as he was peeled from the pitch, fortunately not seriously injured. Tuilagi did some good tackles, several charges but like many others the passes went wild but he did the full 80 mins and all will benefit from the game today and dispel the obvious rustiness.
However the Referee Craig Evans WRU looked out of his depth and will retain his L plates for eternity given his lack of forward passes and high tackle decisions.
ourla
Super User
Super User

Post by ourla »

Mmmm... not sure what people were expecting from such an inexperienced/rusty team.

We were fortunate to win but the game was largely not about the result.
fortysix
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by fortysix »

Some very competent individual performances.
Sarries bring on their kiddos, we have missed out
But some here definitely will make the grade.
Question is----will it be with the Tigers !!??
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

If Geordan keeps giving the opportunities and the players don’t get too far of themselves (like Jack Roberts) then we should keep quite a few but we will always have players moving on that’s just how rugby works.
I was disappointed we didn’t see Hardwick who in my opinion is a better kicker than both Ford brothers but lacks the general abaility and control of the game that the Ford brothers are masters of. I was also disappointed to not see Reffell or Olowofela brought out.
I should expect a very similar team next week but maybe Thacker instead of McGuigan with Kerr still on the bench, Williams instead of Lewis and move Worth to fullback and have someone like Catchpole or Owen if he’s fit.
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

I was impressed with Evans, absolutely everywhere at the breakdown, made some good carries and carried on despite an injury.
He’s a top notch player and I will be very disappointed if he moves to another club because he’s such a promising open side and is definitely England quality.
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
MikeR
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by MikeR »

I'm not convinced that young Freddie T will make the grade but he put in a decent show yesterday . I doubt that he'd ever played 80 mins before and worked hard throughout . Simmons was impressive and I thought Ford and Holmes did well .
trendylfj
Super User
Super User

Post by trendylfj »

MikeR wrote: Sun Nov 05, 2017 8:25 am I'm not convinced that young Freddie T will make the grade but he put in a decent show yesterday . I doubt that he'd ever played 80 mins before and worked hard throughout . Simmons was impressive and I thought Ford and Holmes did well .
Totally agree re FT - put in a decent shift but has a very long way to go. I was also pleased with Thacker's performance but not so impressed with Pakalani but accept it is early days for him. If Gareth Owen is fit I would definitely not start with him next week and would probably not even have him in the squad. He will be needed the following week v Sale.
Hehehehehehehehe
BFG
Super User
Super User

Post by BFG »

trendylfj wrote: Sun Nov 05, 2017 9:50 am
MikeR wrote: Sun Nov 05, 2017 8:25 am I'm not convinced that young Freddie T will make the grade but he put in a decent show yesterday . I doubt that he'd ever played 80 mins before and worked hard throughout . Simmons was impressive and I thought Ford and Holmes did well .
Totally agree re FT - put in a decent shift but has a very long way to go. I was also pleased with Thacker's performance but not so impressed with Pakalani but accept it is early days for him. If Gareth Owen is fit I would definitely not start with him next week and would probably not even have him in the squad. He will be needed the following week v Sale.
I didn't think anyone was that impressive apart from some of Ford's management when considering his lack of game time, Holmes showed that he could mix it up, and Worth the ability to move into the centres was quite impressive!
It's difficult, obviously they are all good players but how good is debatable!
I thought Thacker made errors that'll need cleaning up at Premiership level, his passing was risky too often IMO, I'm reminded of the error at Wasps which was very costly!
Anyone can throw a bucketload of flicks out the back and spin passes to look good but IMO he made several teammates look rather silly yesterday with his passing!
Thacker was very busy!
And I'm really put off by parents whipping it up on the faceplant groups!
Worth looked potential high class!
I hoped to see more from Simmons but he did alright, I've seen he has a lot of talent before and he obviously put the team responsibility first and kept control quite well!
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

I prefer Worth in the centres than at 15 personally.
He is safe at 15 but lacks the top end speed IMO for what MOC prob wants, and with Jordan Olowofela looking promising at 15 might be best to focus him at 15.
Worth's distribution was very slick and being in the midfield would allow him to use his tactical kicking game, think he could develop into a very smart centre. His inside flick to Holmes for his try and the long pass to Thacker for his try showed great awareness.
Tyzot
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Tyzot »

A bit surprised that the ref / TMO didn't look at the moment Holmes scored as he was pretty much scythed down buy a Glaws forward sliding in feet first. Luckily he wasn't hurt but very dangerous. However given that the TMO / Ref wasted over two minutes looking at the Glaws try - we could've been there all night!

I guess it will be ingored but would have been an interesting decision had it resulted in injury or stopped Holmes grounding the ball - red card and penalty try.
BFG
Super User
Super User

Post by BFG »

RagingBull wrote: Sun Nov 05, 2017 11:55 am I prefer Worth in the centres than at 15 personally.
He is safe at 15 but lacks the top end speed IMO for what MOC prob wants, and with Jordan Olowofela looking promising at 15 might be best to focus him at 15.
Worth's distribution was very slick and being in the midfield would allow him to use his tactical kicking game, think he could develop into a very smart centre. His inside flick to Holmes for his try and the long pass to Thacker for his try showed great awareness.
Funny you should also mention Olowofela, if I had to pick three backs out to develop into high level players from what I have seen it'd be Worth, Olowofela and Simmons, three very different but very talented players, and all able to play multiple positions, they just look like they belong!
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

BFG wrote: Sun Nov 05, 2017 12:12 pm
RagingBull wrote: Sun Nov 05, 2017 11:55 am I prefer Worth in the centres than at 15 personally.
Funny you should also mention Olowofela, if I had to pick three backs out to develop into high level players from what I have seen it'd be Worth, Olowofela and Simmons, three very different but very talented players, and all able to play multiple positions, they just look like they belong!
Agree with those 3.

I think Thacker played well today and think if he tightens up some aspects of his game he would make a fine Prem player.
I like Hardwick aswell his defensive and Kicking game (Both from the tee and out of hand) is very good BUT hasn't show the attacking X factor the likes of Ford and Smith have shown at this level but can see him developing well,

But those 3 all have the ability to create something Simmons especially (Although he demonstrated more control and showed off his kicking game yesterday he has a very big skill set and is :censored: quick for a 9 off the mark), I really hope we keep Olowofela because we seem to be letting every academy winger go recently (Odogwu, Yayawaya, Davis), he has some filling out to do still but he is very quick and has an excellent eye for the gap.

Just a shame we don't seem to have the high quality in the development forwards currently IMO some solid players who could do the job and become good prem players (which is what you need in a squad) but none that make me think they will be international class although Tom Reffell gets a very very good report from what i have heard and must be well respected by wales to be made U18 Captain but i haven't seen him get a proper run out so can't comment.
drc_007
Super User
Super User

Post by drc_007 »

RagingBull wrote: Sun Nov 05, 2017 12:30 pm
Just a shame we don't seem to have the high quality in the development forwards currently IMO some solid players who could do the job and become good prem players (which is what you need in a squad) but none that make me think they will be international class although Tom Reffell gets a very very good report from what i have heard and must be well respected by wales to be made U18 Captain but i haven't seen him get a proper run out so can't comment.
Forwards sometimes develop a bit later so I would not give up on the current crop yet.