Tigers v Castres

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Stephen18
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Re: Tigers v Castres

Post by Stephen18 »

I think it's a case of taking your foot off the peddle cause you've taken a bonus point so easily. I don't think the subs came on and put their hands up for a starting place much like last week the tempo dropped, although Matt tait proved me wrong he had a great game and Hamilton again showing he's a starter in fact the whole back row got great go forward ball mapapalangi with some amazing off loads looking forward to that team moving back into the premiership hopefully more try bonus points to come.
Stephen18
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by Stephen18 »

Also is Ellis genge now classed as one of the best props in the world strong in the scrum, amazing around the park, strong, fast and only 22. Got to start for England ahead of mako, so much better in the scrum and as good around the park.
Mark62
Super User
Super User

Post by Mark62 »

Stephen18 wrote: Sat Oct 21, 2017 8:11 pm Also is Ellis genge now classed as one of the best props in the world strong in the scrum, amazing around the park, strong, fast and only 22. Got to start for England ahead of mako, so much better in the scrum and as good around the park.
He’s not ahead of Mako yet but must have leap frogged Marler.

Toomua going off was a worry and just shows how important he is to the side particularly as defensive leader.
His importance to the side is such that with such a long season I can see him being rested next week on Newcastle’s plastic pitch

Top of the group ahead of Munster on points difference before the head to heads. I can see no reason why we can’t go there and get at least a lbp and then beat them at Welford road
markharbtiger
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by markharbtiger »

teds wrote: Sat Oct 21, 2017 7:32 pm And didn't old man Tait play well in attack and defence.
Absolutely.

Always thought he plays better there than at full back...
kpj tiger
Super User
Super User

Post by kpj tiger »

Would also add that the ref was decent overall although I felt the fact we got a yellow and Castres didn't was a bit harsh, especially considering the amount of penalties they gave away
Mark62
Super User
Super User

Post by Mark62 »

kpj tiger wrote: Sat Oct 21, 2017 9:21 pm Would also add that the ref was decent overall although I felt the fact we got a yellow and Castres didn't was a bit harsh, especially considering the amount of penalties they gave away
Agreed
jgriffin
Super User
Super User

Post by jgriffin »

Apart from the odd yellow he didn't give for throttling tackles and forward passes galore Clancy was not worse than Wiggly and a lot better than Lacey.
Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95
A game played on grass in the open air by teams of XV.
Spicer
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Spicer »

Great for 55 minutes. Complacent for the remainder. But I don't hold that against them for what was the best 55 minutes I can remember us playing. Oddly it was a game dominated by the backs I thought.
longlivethecrumbie
Super User
Super User

Post by longlivethecrumbie »

jgriffin wrote: Sat Oct 21, 2017 9:34 pm Apart from the odd yellow he didn't give for throttling tackles and forward passes galore Clancy was not worse than Wiggly and a lot better than Lacey.
Our cat could ref better than Lacey!

Castres deserved at least one yellow, maybe more, but the difference was that we scored from the offences where the yellows would normally have come and they didn't.

The assistant referees don't appear to do a great deal when you're in the stands - yet when you watch the games on TV they appear to be communicating. How they, as a team, missed all of the forward passes, I have absolutely no idea.

I'm happy with the 5 points but there was little dynamism from the bench and the raft of changes helped the momemtum swing in Castres direction in the second half. MT going off didn't help either as he organises the defence expertly. Let's just hope that this bonus point doesn't come back to bite us.....

Anyway, Genge was MOM by a mile. Let's just hope he's not crocked.
CJ
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by CJ »

Fabulous match. Where did that team come from? Wonderful, flowing rugby - well, for most of the match. Shame we let them get a TBP , but, hey, we were superb. Just got home to a glass of wine and perhaps some Remy later!
Robespierre
Super User
Super User

Post by Robespierre »

Overall, a very satisfactory performance by Tigers and I was delighted to have been at the game. Now. One away win, either in Munster or Castres should see us in the QFs.
Semper in excretia
technologus
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by technologus »

I'm not expecting Castres to feature in the mix for quarter-final qualification so, unless I'm missing something, the concession of the bonus point shouldn't hurt us.
Greenwhiteandred
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Greenwhiteandred »

Line out is still shocking ...... I don't think you can win anything with a malfunctioning line out but maybe MOC has a master plan. Kick off return was poor , Malouf seems to have an issue with judging the trajectory of kicks IMHO. Yet we still put 35 points on Castres in the first half - handling was tremendous and running lines + vision/sense of adventure was breathtaking at times. Something of a muddle. Scratches head and pours glass of wine.
ellis9
Super User
Super User

Post by ellis9 »

Tigers played some excellent rugby tonight. Everything was sticking. Offloads in the tackles, passing in general, fast paced, highly energetic and high scoring.

It's a shame Castres got the 4 tries but fair play to them. They came out in the second half to do one thing and one thing only, score 4 tries to get a bonus point and you have to give them credit for that. The last two tries were conceded too easily though but we can't complain too much.

We now just need to learn to play in the right areas. We had 54 points on the scoreboard, 5 points in the bag and we are running it from inside our 22 which led to a Castres penalty on the half way line, which led to a try in the corner. Had we kicked the ball from our 22 and into touch in their half, I believe that 4th try wouldn't have been conceded. Once we get that cracked, not many teams will be able to cope with us.

Fantastic effort, display and result from Tigers tonight though. :smt023
Jimmy Skitz
Super User
Super User

Post by Jimmy Skitz »

If they can offload like that most weeks this season will be very fun to watch