Tigers v Castres

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

drc_007
Super User
Super User

Re: Tigers v Castres

Post by drc_007 »

ourla wrote: Fri Oct 20, 2017 12:07 pm Personally I am liking the consistency of selection.

With Owen and Mapapalangi in the team our attacking threat goes up a small notch.
Agreed, discussions are now only about the fine tuning of the team.
Stephen18
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by Stephen18 »

neilf wrote: Fri Oct 20, 2017 12:04 pm Leicester Tigers (v Castres Olympique, Welford Road, Saturday 5.30pm)
15 Telusa Veainu       
14 Nick Malouf
13 Gareth Owen
12 Matt Toomua        
11 Jonny May            
10 George Ford         
9 Ben Youngs
1 Ellis Genge  
2 Tom Youngs (c)      
3 Dan Cole     
4 Dom Barrow
5 Graham Kitchener
6 Valentino Mapapalangi
7 Luke Hamilton
8 Sione Kalamafoni   
Replacements
16 George McGuigan
17 Greg Bateman
18 Pat Cilliers 
19 Dan Tuohy
20 Brendon O’Connor
21 Sam Harrison
22 Joe Ford
23 Mathew Tait          

Team up !!!!

Not a bad team still think Kitchener needs to earn his place, and think mcgugian's the best line out throw we've but youngs does give everything just think he'd make more impact agains a tired team second half, for me wells should be there also would like to see Evans getting some game time, as both of them would if they went else where, hopefully there just resting thompstone making sure he's 100%, but all in all I think it's a strong enough team to get the bonus point win
L Smith
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by L Smith »

Decent 15 but not much impact on the bench (notwithstanding Shazzam's quick ball and BOC's breakdown ability).
I hope we're well up before we get into the last 25 mins
I refuse to have a battle of wits with an unarmed man
TigerCam
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerCam »

Good to see Owen get a start, he'll add that bit more grit to the outside channel tho' I hope he leaves the 'red-mist' at home? 2nd row needs a good game. Looking forward to WR on Sat :smt027 :smt027 :smt026
Whoever said "one person cannot change the world' never ate undercooked bat
strawclearer
Super User
Super User

Post by strawclearer »

Yes - with a more 'normal' amount of injuries, MO'C can indulge in 'fine tuning' which he's done here. A bit surprised to see Kitch starting - he needs a strong performance. I'd have preferred O'Connor or Evans to start but Hamilton is due a cracker and Mapapalangi/Kalamafoni at 6/8 is exciting! Good to see Owen starting against decent opposition. With Toomua covering 10, I'm not sure whether Joe Ford is preferable to Dosser's lad on the bench.

All said and done - quality side which should provide exciting rugby and a full complement of points!
Happy days clearing straw from the pitch before the Baa-Baas games! KBO
Wear a Mask>Protect The NHS>Save Lives
Brianf

Post by Brianf »

Here is the Castres team; missing a couple of star players, such as Urdapilleta, but great to see Mafi back at Welford Road.

15 Armand Batlle
14 Taylor Paris
13 Thomas Combezou
12 Afusipa Taumoepau
11 David Smith
10 Yohan Le Bourhis
9 Rory Kockott
1 Mihaïta Lazar
2 Marc Antoine Rallier
3 Damian Tussac
4 Steve Mafi
5 Rodrego Capo Ortega
6 Yannick Caballero
7 Anthony Jelonch
8 Alex Tulou

16 Jody Jenneker
17 Tudor Stroe
18 Eric Sione
19 Christophe Samson
20 Baptiste Delaporte
21 Ludovic Radosavljevic
22 Florian Vialelle
23 Killian Jaminet
BFG
Super User
Super User

Post by BFG »

Should have enough to beat Castres.
I get the feeling that this competition is not their priority.
I hope the line out calls have changed since Mafi left! :smt003
Brianf

Post by Brianf »

BFG wrote: Fri Oct 20, 2017 12:50 pm I get the feeling that this competition is not their priority.
Interesting comment from one of Castres' Coaches, Joe El Abd, on their website...he says (loosely translated!) 'For them (Tigers), the Champions Cup is the biggest competition in the world, that's their benchmark.' Maybe suggests that it isn't for Castres?
Robespierre
Super User
Super User

Post by Robespierre »

The Top14 has always been the priority for the average French clubs - with all due respect to Castres who were French champions a couple or so years ago. The likes of Toulon and Clermont quite rightly set their expectations higher. Tigers could and should win with something to spare and get the much needed bonus, and in my opinion need to have a significant lead by half time when les Castrais may start to crack (wishful thinking- maybe!!)
Semper in excretia
MrPartridge
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by MrPartridge »

Happy with that team. Owen in the centres is fine. Val at 6 and K at 8 is probably preferable to the other way round. Seems a determination to stick with experience in the second-row.

Not sure about Joe Ford on the bench. Anyone know how many minutes he has played this season off the bench. I'd guess less than 30!

Read their team sheet a bit quick and had to do a double take at their 9's surname.. somehow my brain added in an extra U! :smt002
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

Hopefully MOC will have a chat to Big Steve about coming back..... :smt002
LE18
Super User
Super User

Post by LE18 »

MrPartridge wrote: Fri Oct 20, 2017 1:21 pm Happy with that team. Owen in the centres is fine. Val at 6 and K at 8 is probably preferable to the other way round. Seems a determination to stick with experience in the second-row.

Not sure about Joe Ford on the bench. Anyone know how many minutes he has played this season off the bench. I'd guess less than 30!

Read their team sheet a bit quick and had to do a double take at their 9's surname.. somehow my brain added in an extra U! :smt002
Naughty! :smt046
Chobbsy
Super User
Super User

Post by Chobbsy »

JP14 wrote: Fri Oct 20, 2017 12:08 pm Great to see Tino and Owen but disappointed that Kitchener is starting over Tuohy and that Wells isn't the squad, expect to see us squander opportunities on the 5m line. Back row great but I wanted BOC/Evans there to balance it and be a nuisance at the breakdown
My thoughts exactly over Kitchener, has quickly gone from being one of my favourites to being a bit of an annoyance very quickly
God created rugby so footballers have heros too
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

RagingBull wrote: Fri Oct 20, 2017 1:33 pm Hopefully MOC will have a chat to Big Steve about coming back..... :smt002
Oh that could be good, A pack with Mafi at lock, Sione & Tino in the back row would be a very menacing pack however maybe he has moved on from Leicester cos I think Tigers must have approached him a couple of times now when he was in talks to move to Castres and probably over the Summer before Tino was signed
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

Brianf wrote: Fri Oct 20, 2017 12:55 pm
BFG wrote: Fri Oct 20, 2017 12:50 pm I get the feeling that this competition is not their priority.
Interesting comment from one of Castres' Coaches, Joe El Abd, on their website...he says (loosely translated!) 'For them (Tigers), the Champions Cup is the biggest competition in the world, that's their benchmark.' Maybe suggests that it isn't for Castres?
I wouldn't get passive though, Tigers need to be hungry and in for this one and have a killer attitude similar to Sarries vs Saints so that they don't get upset by Castres. Look what happened to Quins at home against La Rochelle.
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni