Tigers v Castres

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Chobbsy
Super User
Super User

Re: Tigers v Castres

Post by Chobbsy »

Stephen18 wrote: Wed Oct 18, 2017 9:16 pm With Williams out, I would like to see a team of
Genge
mcguigan
Cole
Wells
Barrow
Hamilton
Kalamafoni
mapapalangi
Youngs
Ford
May
Tooma
Smith
Malouf
Veainu
Sub:
Cilliers
Youngs
Bateman
Tuohy
Evans
Harrison
Owen
Thompstone (tait if not fit)
Beat them up early doors with our big ball carriers, I think mcguigan is our best line out thrower and Kitchener need maybe some a league games to try and gain some form. Tough call between Evans and o Connor just like to see Evans get more game time as I like his work rate around the part. introduced Harrison, youngs, evens and Owen as the games breaking up and hopefully give thompstone a good 25-30mins. Tooma as cover for 10. I think that team should get us the 5points and hopefully a big performance going back into the premiership.
Genge
mcguigan
Cole
Tuohy
Barrow
Hamilton
Kalamafoni
mapapalangi
Youngs
Ford
May
Tooma
Owen
Malouf
Veainu
Sub:
Cilliers
Youngs
Bateman
Wells
Evans
Harrison
Smith
God created rugby so footballers have heros too
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

With Williams out switch Hamilton back to blindside and have Thompstone instead of Tait on the bench
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
Stephen18
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by Stephen18 »

Chobbsy wrote: Thu Oct 19, 2017 12:41 pm
Stephen18 wrote: Wed Oct 18, 2017 9:16 pm With Williams out, I would like to see a team of
Genge
mcguigan
Cole
Wells
Barrow
Hamilton
Kalamafoni
mapapalangi
Youngs
Ford
May
Tooma
Smith
Malouf
Veainu
Sub:
Cilliers
Youngs
Bateman
Tuohy
Evans
Harrison
Owen
Beat them up early doors with our big ball carriers, I think mcguigan is our best line out thrower and Kitchener need maybe some a league games to try and gain some form. Tough call between Evans and o Connor just like to see Evans get more game time as I like his work rate around the part. introduced Harrison, youngs, evens and Owen as the games breaking up and hopefully give thompstone a good 25-30mins. Tooma as cover for 10. I think that team should get us the 5points and hopefully a big performance going back into the premiership.
Genge
mcguigan
Cole
Tuohy
Barrow
Hamilton
Kalamafoni
mapapalangi
Youngs
Ford
May
Tooma
Owen
Malouf
Veainu
Sub:
Cilliers
Youngs
Bateman
Wells
Evans
Harrison
Smith
I get why you swap wells and tuohy my only train of thought on that was that wells is a long term tigers player, so to just get him as much experience at the top level as possible as where tuohys only a short term loan. As for smith and Owen the reason I went with smith to start was as reliable as he is I don't think he'd offer much impact off the bench, and I didn't want it to be like last week where they seemed to stagnate once the subs came on. But I could still live with that team.
Chobbsy
Super User
Super User

Post by Chobbsy »

I get both your points, but we want to win and win well (need to actually), I think the 2 changes will help us get off to a much better start in the game.
MrPartridge
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by MrPartridge »

Thompstone instead of Tait on the bench
Not for me. I think Tait has looked good coming on and he gives you options at centre and 15. I'd prefer to ease Thompstone back into the first XV via the muppet cup and subsequent league games in Nov. Make no mistake, for me he is an important part of the jigsaw and I'd have him in well ahead of Malouf (despite how well he has done) for the Munster double-header.

A few are suggesting a back 3 of Hamilton, Kalamafoni and Val but I'd put O'Connor (or Evans) in. As well as Hamilton did last week stealing ball, I think O'Connor or Evans make us more competitive and quicker at the breakdown.

Looking forward to it. Win vital and expected. Bookies have us 1/7 favourites and +13 on the handicap. 5 points please.
mol2
Super User
Super User

Post by mol2 »

An interesting one with Thompstone - certainly needs game time before being chucked into the big European games, and was our best wing over the past couple of seasons, but the presence of May and Malouf has shown the impact of having real gas on the wings.

Clearly May is international class but Malouf has shown real promise so far and will provide real competition for the wing berth when all are fit.
Tomvarndell
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by Tomvarndell »

Mr P is bang on for me. Thompstone is needed for Munster. We know for sure Munster will be testing our back three with kicks all game. Malouf has done great but he's not in Thommos class yet when it comes to being under a high ball. He can get to match fitness playing in the top competition that everyone wants to win, the Anglo Welsh!
ourla
Super User
Super User

Post by ourla »

MrPartridge wrote: Fri Oct 20, 2017 9:09 am
Thompstone instead of Tait on the bench
Looking forward to it. Win vital and expected. Bookies have us 1/7 favourites and +13 on the handicap. 5 points please.
Wow. I'd definitely be backing Castres on that handicap but I hope I'm wrong. I won't be betting though.
loretta
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by loretta »

Just realised that it's Trafalgar Day tomorrow, if that's not a good omen for beating the French, I don't know what is!

A few rounds of "Rule Brittannia", anyone? :smt002
In my defence, I was left unsupervised….
Chobbsy
Super User
Super User

Post by Chobbsy »

loretta wrote: Fri Oct 20, 2017 10:57 am Just realised that it's Trafalgar Day tomorrow, if that's not a good omen for beating the French, I don't know what is!

well lets hope HMS Pickle sets sail at full speed with a good result at the final whistle
Roly
Super User
Super User

Post by Roly »

loretta wrote: Fri Oct 20, 2017 10:57 am Just realised that it's Trafalgar Day tomorrow, if that's not a good omen for beating the French, I don't know what is!

The French fleet was defeated at Trafalgar by the use of innovative tactics. The British Navy also executed the basics well and kept their discipline in close quarter battle.
“It is no use saying, ‘We are doing our best.’ You have got to succeed in doing what is necessary.” Sir Winston Churchill.
neilf
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by neilf »

Leicester Tigers (v Castres Olympique, Welford Road, Saturday 5.30pm)
15 Telusa Veainu       
14 Nick Malouf
13 Gareth Owen
12 Matt Toomua        
11 Jonny May            
10 George Ford         
9 Ben Youngs
1 Ellis Genge  
2 Tom Youngs (c)      
3 Dan Cole     
4 Dom Barrow
5 Graham Kitchener
6 Valentino Mapapalangi
7 Luke Hamilton
8 Sione Kalamafoni   
Replacements
16 George McGuigan
17 Greg Bateman
18 Pat Cilliers 
19 Dan Tuohy
20 Brendon O’Connor
21 Sam Harrison
22 Joe Ford
23 Mathew Tait          

Team up !!!!

ourla
Super User
Super User

Post by ourla »

Personally I am liking the consistency of selection.

With Owen and Mapapalangi in the team our attacking threat goes up a small notch.
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

Great to see Tino and Owen but disappointed that Kitchener is starting over Tuohy and that Wells isn't the squad, expect to see us squander opportunities on the 5m line. Back row great but I wanted BOC/Evans there to balance it and be a nuisance at the breakdown
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
Soggypitch
Super User
Super User

Post by Soggypitch »

Good side, very happy with that!

Pleased to see Owen at 13. Also good to have Shazam back on the bench.
Soggypitch