Racing 92 vs. Tigers

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Mark62
Super User
Super User

Re: Racing 92 vs. Tigers

Post by Mark62 »

Having just watched their game against La Rochelle neither team were great but weren’t helped by a whistle happy ref.
They are unlikely to have a proper 10, unsure if their medical joker Lambie is registered for Europe. Some of their big names are past their best and they appear disorganised.

Tempo will be key to the game and a win is possible. That said they will be a different beast at home and we will need to be right on our game to get anything
Chobbsy
Super User
Super User

Post by Chobbsy »

TigerCam wrote: Mon Oct 09, 2017 12:19 pm
drc_007 wrote: Mon Oct 09, 2017 6:57 am French clubs at home are never easy.
Maybe, but as R92 are 8th and struggled against La Rochelle, no time like the present to get a win? Maybe, as some clubs are, they are more interested in the Top 14 league? If the Tigers are defensively patience then they can come home with 4 pts? While home game are a 'must win' to sneak one in Paris takes the pressure off a bit.
Didn't we think the same about Stadt last year?
God created rugby so footballers have heros too
MrPartridge
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by MrPartridge »

Yep French teams are hard to beat at home, but I think Saturday is a MASSIVE opportunity. They have certainly dropped off from where they were 18 months ago. Lost their last home game to Lyon. Tigers on a 4 game win streak and able to bring some players back after a rest: Genge, Youngs brothers, Veainu, Smith, O'Connor, etc, all had time off last 2 weeks. Best chance of an away win in this group in my opinion. We play at or near our best and I fancy we'll take 4 points.

Out of interest.. anyone know. Is this May's first ever 'tier-one' European club match?
BG01

Post by BG01 »

I think the comment about Ford being a better captain than Youngs is a bit weird. It's easy to look like a good captain against an abysmal LI team who have been thrashed in the first half by every team so far. It was only the week before that Youngs captained us (to a bigger victory!) against the champions.

I would go the below. Mike Williams on the bench as he has never had a good first game back from injury and can cover lock (as can Tino). No fly half on the bench as we are well covered with Toomua, Owen, and Harrison who can all play there. Owen should add some good impetus after Smith has put in 60 minutes of solid defence. I'm assuming Thacker, Kithchener, and Thommo are all still out (even if not, this isn't the game to bring them back for!):

15. Telusa Veainu
14. Nick Malouf
13. Matt Smith
12. Matt Toomua
11. Jonny May
10. George Ford
9. Ben Youngs
1. Ellis Genge
2. Tom Youngs
3. Dan Cole
4. Dom Barrow
5. Harry Wells
6. Luke Hamilton
7. Brendan O'Connor
8. Sione Kalamafoni

16. George McGuigan
17. Greg Bateman
18. Pat Cilliers
19. Mike Williams
20. Valentino Mapapalangi
21. Sam Harrison
22. Gareth Owen
23. Matthew Tait
Never believe generalisations
Roly
Super User
Super User

Post by Roly »

BG01 wrote: Mon Oct 09, 2017 2:46 pm It's easy to look like a good captain against an abysmal LI team who have been thrashed in the first half by every team so far.
And yet still tigers didn't get the try bonus point. But, apparently it doesn't matter.
“It is no use saying, ‘We are doing our best.’ You have got to succeed in doing what is necessary.” Sir Winston Churchill.
wormus
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by wormus »

Wormus you have Harry Wells listed as 80kgs 12st 8lb same as Ben White. A typo I assume.
[/quote]
Fortunately I did not type up the table but copied it from the EPRC Champions Cup website as of today.
However looking at the team you select and Tigers Tongans etc I am not sure of the exact interpretation of "Non European players" the rule state - 3.7 Each club is permitted a maximum of two 'non-European players' in each match squad.
I seek you guidance as this could influence the overall team selection or the players on the field. :smt017
voice of the crumbie
Super User
Super User

Post by voice of the crumbie »

wormus wrote: Mon Oct 09, 2017 3:20 pm Wormus you have Harry Wells listed as 80kgs 12st 8lb same as Ben White. A typo I assume.
Fortunately I did not type up the table but copied it from the EPRC Champions Cup website as of today.
However looking at the team you select and Tigers Tongans etc I am not sure of the exact interpretation of "Non European players" the rule state - 3.7 Each club is permitted a maximum of two 'non-European players' in each match squad.
I seek you guidance as this could influence the overall team selection or the players on the field. :smt017
[/quote]

Not 100% sure on this but don't they get round this because of the Kolpak ruling (similar to Bosman ruling in Wendyball).

Summary from Wikipedia (my bold type):

The Kolpak ruling is a European Court of Justice ruling handed down on 8 May 2003 in favour of Maroš Kolpak, a Slovak handball player. It declared that citizens of countries which have signed European Union Association Agreements have the same right to freedom of work and movement within the EU as EU citizens. Thus any restrictions placed on their right to work (such as quotas setting maximum numbers of such foreign players in sports teams) are deemed illegal under EU law. The legal actions in Germany set a precedent for professional sports in Europe, which have had a wide-ranging effect, especially in regard to English county cricket and European professional rugby.

A Kolpak player, or Kolpak, is a term used in the United Kingdom for players in the domestic leagues in cricket and both rugby codes from overseas, subject to the Kolpak ruling.
Last edited by voice of the crumbie on Mon Oct 09, 2017 3:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tigers for the premiership and European Cup. Get behind the team and make some noise!!
wormus
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by wormus »

[quote=Mark62 post_id=675444 time=1507549138 user_id=11593
They are unlikely to have a proper 10, unsure if their medical joker Lambie is registered for Europe.
Tempo will be key to the game and a win is possible.
[/quote]
Lambie is not at present registered for Racing 92 squad and neither is Tempo! :smt002
strawclearer
Super User
Super User

Post by strawclearer »

Mark62 wrote: Mon Oct 09, 2017 12:38 pm Tempo will be key to the game and a win is possible.
wormus wrote: Mon Oct 09, 2017 3:32 pm Lambie is not at present registered for Racing 92 squad and neither is Tempo! :smt002
Damn, Wormus...I was right on the point of googling 'Tempo' then... :smt023
Happy days clearing straw from the pitch before the Baa-Baas games! KBO
Wear a Mask>Protect The NHS>Save Lives
Mark62
Super User
Super User

Post by Mark62 »

Very good re Tempo :smt026

Why are people so keen to have Thacker back in the squad and who would you drop instead of him.

Must admit when it was mentioned yesterday that Wasps were looking at a hooker as injury cover his name did cross my mind
ourla
Super User
Super User

Post by ourla »

I think more than any other week we will have to wait and see on the various illnesses and injuries. If we don't have too many missing and don't lose too many on the day we've got more than a punchers shot.

That said iirc our record in France is nearly as :censored: as the French over here.

But let's see how things go on the treatment table this week.
BFG
Super User
Super User

Post by BFG »

Mark62 wrote: Mon Oct 09, 2017 3:50 pm Very good re Tempo :smt026

Why are people so keen to have Thacker back in the squad and who would you drop instead of him.

Must admit when it was mentioned yesterday that Wasps were looking at a hooker as injury cover his name did cross my mind
LOL, don't you think that they have enough problems already than to fill the cracks of the dam with Play Doh!
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

Tigers should definitely not take anything for granted considering Racing’s mediocre form and should be really hungry, play with determination and passion andy ben really in for this game and pay back for the drubbing we got last year.

Shame Tuohy not named as I was going to name him in my 23 for his experience in Europe in his Ulster days,
My 23 would be:

1 - Genge
2 - Youngs
3 - Cole
4 - Barrow
5 - Wells
6 - Williams
7 - O’Connor
8 - Mapapalangi
9 - Youngs
10 - Ford
11 - May
12 - Toomua
13 - Smith
14 - Malouf
15 - Vieanu
16 - McGuigan
17 - Bateman
18 - Cilliers
19 - Evans
20 - Kalamafoni
21 - Harrison
22 - Ford
23 - Owen
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
trendylfj
Super User
Super User

Post by trendylfj »

Wouldn't bet on Tempo not being registered at the last minute - they have until 12pm tomorrow to register him.
" Each club may register up to three additional players during the pool stage, each to replace a player previously registered. If a club registers three additional players, one such player must be a front row player. Additional players must have a three-month contract with the club and must not have played for another club in the tournament. Additional player registrations must be submitted by 12 noon (GMT) on the Tuesday before the match. De-registered players may be re-registered (in place of the relevant additional players) during the pool stage."
Hehehehehehehehe
Robespierre
Super User
Super User

Post by Robespierre »

Racing will be the bookies' favourites, make no mistake. They are at home and will fancy their chances. However, Tigers have an opportunity to get their European campaign off to winning start, providing they pressurize Racing into conceding penalties, which they have been doing of late. I am cautiously optimistic!
Semper in excretia