Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

westwinds31
Super User
Super User

Re: Racing 92 vs. Tigers

Post by westwinds31 »

ellis9 wrote: Sat Oct 14, 2017 11:54 pm
Mark62 wrote: Sat Oct 14, 2017 9:10 pm
strawclearer wrote: Sat Oct 14, 2017 8:15 pm Our front row did well - all 6 of them - Barrow and Kitch not so good. I wanted Tuohy to start and he came on too late. Hamilton played well but I still like O'Connor or Evans at 7. Williams looked good as did Kalamafoni - both natural 6's for me. 9 to 15 very good although Dosser's lad and Tait are weak links at 13 - prefer Owen.

I think you enjoy the game more if you don't know the rules - which puts you on the same wavelength as John Lacey and the TMO. Both were awful. As soon as a ref sees play-acting and time-wasting, he should set a few examples or he'll end up getting treated like a wendyball ref.

Racing were good compared to what their form suggested but we could have won that. Lacey should have spotted the knock-on for their try and we should have sorted our attacking lineouts by now. A Losing BP is ok - just - but I can see Munster winning there.
Munster play there in the 5th round of fixtures. If Racing do the double over Castres in December then they will still be in the hunt. They will be in their new stadium by then too on a 4g pitch
Another 4G pitch?! :smt013 :smt013
I bet the Racing massive forwards are really looking forward to ac4G pitch !
voice of the crumbie
Super User
Super User

Post by voice of the crumbie »

G.K wrote: Sun Oct 15, 2017 7:19 am As far Lacey - awful as usual - has there ever been a decent Irish ref, I'm not aware of any?
Not among the current crop. Maybe Alain Rolland in the past but then again he was half French.
Tigers for the premiership and European Cup. Get behind the team and make some noise!!
MrPartridge
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by MrPartridge »

In a word 'frustrating'. Played some really good stuff at times. But the lineout creaked. Seriously, when did we last have a 5m lineout and dominate to score a try via forwards grunt?

I don't understand the kick to goal with 5 mins left when the score was 15-22. We turned that option down and kicked to the corner 10 mins earlier at the same score. We should have been looking for the draw at that point. Ironically the decision almost cost us as the restart gave them territory and almost a try at the end that would have left R92 with 5 points and us with 0.

The question is can we get out of this group with 4 wins and a few bonus points? All eyes on Munster today. Realistically we want a Castres win with no BPs. I can't see us winning in Ireland so we don't want an Irish win today.
Mark62
Super User
Super User

Post by Mark62 »

The kick at the post with 5 minutes to go was to secure the losing bonus point, in case they got a kickable penalty.
ellis9
Super User
Super User

Post by ellis9 »

MrPartridge wrote: Sun Oct 15, 2017 9:19 am In a word 'frustrating'. Played some really good stuff at times. But the lineout creaked. Seriously, when did we last have a 5m lineout and dominate to score a try via forwards grunt?

I don't understand the kick to goal with 5 mins left when the score was 15-22. We turned that option down and kicked to the corner 10 mins earlier at the same score. We should have been looking for the draw at that point. Ironically the decision almost cost us as the restart gave them territory and almost a try at the end that would have left R92 with 5 points and us with 0.

The question is can we get out of this group with 4 wins and a few bonus points? All eyes on Munster today. Realistically we want a Castres win with no BPs. I can't see us winning in Ireland so we don't want an Irish win today.
Apparently people don't want to see a rolling maul from 5 or 10 metres out as this is boring.

Going for the 3 points was the correct decision. Had we gone for the corner and not scored anything, it meant Racing could get into our half, which they did and only need 3 points to make sure we left with nothing. By us getting the 3 points, it meant they had to score a try to make sure we left with nothing. It also meant that by us getting 3 points, we still had a few minutes (plus however much time after 80 minutes) to get the ball back from the kick off and score an unconverted try to win.
We definitely made the right decision in going for the 3 points.
Soggypitch
Super User
Super User

Post by Soggypitch »

I agree with Ourla - we will never win anything with a dysfunctional line out. I cannot remember the last time we set up a try scoring rolling maul, and yes ellis we would all like to see that, Sarries and Exeter do it regularly. We either don't have the players or they are not being coached properly.

The forwards let us down, only Hamilton of the starters had a good game. Too many missed tackles and turnovers conceded.

Having said that, it is better than last year!

I am still incredulous that Owen was not in the 23, he showed real class and pace v LI, he must start next week.

Agree we really could do with 5 points next week and it should be doable.
Soggypitch
ellis9
Super User
Super User

Post by ellis9 »

I am well aware Exeter and Sarries do it regularly. My tongue in cheek comment was made because some people only want to see "exciting, running" rugby. A rolling maul would be boring for them, even if successful.

I'd be happy to see it as I appreciate all aspects of rugby and don't turn up just to see Harlem globe trotter stuff.
LJS

Post by LJS »

Interesting refereeing of the maul yesterday both in open play and from set piece.

A number of times commentators and TV pictures suggested Tigers player had successfully got knees/body to ground when ref deemed otherwise.

Additionally ref seemed oblivious to groups of RM92 players dislodging from lineout mauls whilst still bound to their own team mates in an offside position and obstructing tackles. Thought this practice had been outlawed long ago? Perhaps we should try it if not...

I thought the above coupled with the strange one off in at the side call against tigers robbed us of significant field position and possession.

I may watch again and try to be a little more impartial but would be interested in others thoughts on this.

Nonetheless I thought both teams played well and the result seemed about right. A real shame Smithy and may could not convert those chances to the end of first and second half, I could not fault the effort of the players it was a point well earned.
Tomvarndell
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by Tomvarndell »

Although losing bonus points are useful results in Europe usually, I can't help feeling that was a game we let get away. You'd imagine we will need an away win to proceed out of the group and it's unlikely we will get a better chance. A massive improvement on last year's European adventures but one I fear we may look back at as the game that costs us.
L Smith
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by L Smith »

TigerMac3 wrote: Sat Oct 14, 2017 7:25 pm Can someone please tell Dom Barrow that he doesn't play fly-half.... His positional play at times is shocking; & poor hands a number of times turned over good field positions
Good point. I think you should tell him :smt003
I refuse to have a battle of wits with an unarmed man
MrPartridge
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by MrPartridge »

Yes but by that logic, why did we kick to the corner when we had a penalty with 15 mins to go? What's the difference getting it back to 18-22 with 15 mins as opposed to 5 left?

Last 20 mins they couldn't get out of their half. Even if we'd kicked to the corner and they had regained the ball they would have been camped in their 22. They got in our half at the end because of the restart that followed the penalty.

Others here are right. We don't get out of this group without an away win. And even if we did it would inevitably result in an away QF.
baz1664
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by baz1664 »

As settled as the backs are we don’t seem to have much spark off the bench, Jonah Holmes seems to have dropped off the radar, top try scorer in the championship last year, surely he needs a run or is he injured? Think O’Connor at 7 is a must next week with Kal at 8 and Mappa on the bench for impact. Strange there was no Evans, if he is injured then would have Tait at centre with Toomua, the line out and lock situation is a massive problem, for me Tuohy and Barrow are the best bet, also forgot about the new lad Afa Pakalani, an unknown but so
Was Mappa and look what an impact he has made!!
ellis9
Super User
Super User

Post by ellis9 »

MrPartridge wrote: Sun Oct 15, 2017 10:43 am Yes but by that logic, why did we kick to the corner when we had a penalty with 15 mins to go? What's the difference getting it back to 18-22 with 15 mins as opposed to 5 left?

Last 20 mins they couldn't get out of their half. Even if we'd kicked to the corner and they had regained the ball they would have been camped in their 22. They got in our half at the end because of the restart that followed the penalty.

Others here are right. We don't get out of this group without an away win. And even if we did it would inevitably result in an away QF.
Wasn't that penalty just inside Racings half? The kick was probably too far for Ford to get.
MikeR
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by MikeR »

I tend to agree with Soggypitch - forwards were pretty average with the exception of Hamilton . Barrow does need to improve his ball handling skills - far too many knock ons but Cole is even worse . Matt Smith does well for has age but is very limited at this level and he should have easily scored that try - Owen must replace him next week . Our bench backs are terribly weak but until Thompstone & Harrison are fit I suspect little can be done .
MrPartridge
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by MrPartridge »

Worrying if an international 10 like Ford doesn't fancy a kick bang in from of goal from inside the oppositions half...

Haven't checked back if it gained a lot of comments but Toomua's awful drop out in the first half gave them great field position and led to a try for them shortly after.

Agree with others. Evans should be in the 23.