London Irish v Tigers

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Mark62
Super User
Super User

London Irish v Tigers

Post by Mark62 »

I know some discussion is already on the Time for a rest thread, but noticed that sir is going to be J P Doyle
strawclearer
Super User
Super User

Re: London Irish v Tigers

Post by strawclearer »

Mark62 wrote: Tue Oct 03, 2017 7:12 pm I know some discussion is already on the Time for a rest thread, but noticed that sir is going to be J P Doyle
One of the better ones.....
Happy days clearing straw from the pitch before the Baa-Baas games! KBO
Wear a Mask>Protect The NHS>Save Lives
Knightonian

Post by Knightonian »

So my team picks are for the squad players to get first team action and to have a high quality bench to ensure we get the 5 points.

I'd start Bateman and McGuigan, Valentino, Harrison, Joe Ford and someone like Holmes at Full Back.

We can't to swap the locks or the centres as they need time to keep playing together.

Malouf needs game time and if one of the other wingers were fit I'd rest May.
Knightonian

Post by Knightonian »

This should give them the replacements some game time to get used to each other before the autumn internationals
Leicestertinytiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Leicestertinytiger »

Definitely thinks Evans needs to start this one, he deserves a start in the premiership to show what he can do!

Based on the Mercury article, I would pick

Bateman McGuigan Cole
Wells, Barrow
Hamilton Mapapalangi Evans
Harrison J Ford
Toomua Smith
May, Tait, Pakalani

Bateman, Youngs, Cilliers, Williams, O’Connor, White, G Ford, Holmes
Robespierre
Super User
Super User

Post by Robespierre »

This match against the Irish raises a dilemma.
Tigers need a bonus point victory to move further up the table, so the temptation is there to field the strongest side.

However, there are then two extremely tough European matches against Racing and Castres that will also demand the best available team.
Can Irish be considered weak enough to risk fielding less experienced players? True, they are far from the strongest team in the Premiership but can also be considered as a possible "banana skin" for Tigers.
I'd like to think that some regular first choice players could be rested and expect their replacements to raise their game accordingly and come back with the win, although possibly not with a bonus.
Leicestertinytiger's suggested side ain't bad but I'd be inclined to rest Toomua and May and bring in maybe Catchpole and Holmes.
The Irish shouldn't be underestimated and I'll be very interested to hear other posters' comments and of course the eventual side that MOC selects.
Semper in excretia
Mark62
Super User
Super User

Post by Mark62 »

Having just read MOC comments in the Mercury I wouldn’t expect too many changes, but wholesale changes on around 50 minutes if the game is secure
mol2
Super User
Super User

Post by mol2 »

It's a potential banana skin game so too many changes may be unwise.
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

Bateman, McGuigan, Cole
Barrow, Tuohy
Hamilton, Mapapalangi, Evans
Harrison
J Ford
Afa Pakalani
Matt Toomua
Matt Smith/Gareth Owen
Nick Malouf
Jonah Holmes

16 Harry Thacker if fit 17 Kyle Traynor 18 Pat Cilliers 🤞 19 Harry Wells 20 Sione Kalamafoni 21 Ben White
22. G Ford 23. Mat Tait

I want so see Pakalani, Tuohy, J Ford, Jonah Holmes and Gareth Owen in action and tho this game shouldn’t be taken for granted we’d need to try new players before Champions Cup. I’d love to see Mapapalangi for the whole game he looks really destructive and I want B Youngs completely rested because I want to see Ben White play.
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

According to MOC, Cilliers could be available for the Irish game which is great news, I thought he was really good for us last season during the international periods.

Also, when are we expecting Rizzo back?
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
Roly
Super User
Super User

Post by Roly »

Starting an inexperienced side v LI would be a big mistake - they have shown they can be a handful for at least the first 40 minutes. Any complacency shown by Tigers could easily be punished. The days of 5 point 'gimmes' in this league are gone (pretty much) so I would expect MoC to start with as strong as squad as possible to maintain continuity. If the 5 points are secure at 60 minutes, then that's the time to start subbing.
“It is no use saying, ‘We are doing our best.’ You have got to succeed in doing what is necessary.” Sir Winston Churchill.
Cardiff Tig
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Cardiff Tig »

Roly wrote: Wed Oct 04, 2017 7:46 am Starting an inexperienced side v LI would be a big mistake - they have shown they can be a handful for at least the first 40 minutes. Any complacency shown by Tigers could easily be punished. The days of 5 point 'gimmes' in this league are gone (pretty much) so I would expect MoC to start with as strong as squad as possible to maintain continuity. If the 5 points are secure at 60 minutes, then that's the time to start subbing.
Exactly. This Tigers team isn't at a stage where it can make wholesale changes yet - earn the win then roll out the subs after the 4th try has been scored.
Leicestertinytiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Leicestertinytiger »

Maybe not wholesale changes, but considering Mapapalangi and Pakalani are international players, they should be brought in for some game time!
Roly
Super User
Super User

Post by Roly »

Cardiff Tig wrote: Wed Oct 04, 2017 8:27 am
Roly wrote: Wed Oct 04, 2017 7:46 am Starting an inexperienced side v LI would be a big mistake - they have shown they can be a handful for at least the first 40 minutes. Any complacency shown by Tigers could easily be punished. The days of 5 point 'gimmes' in this league are gone (pretty much) so I would expect MoC to start with as strong as squad as possible to maintain continuity. If the 5 points are secure at 60 minutes, then that's the time to start subbing.
Exactly. This Tigers team isn't at a stage where it can make wholesale changes yet - earn the win then roll out the subs after the 4th try has been scored.
Its not like Tigers have exactly steamrollered LI in the past.
“It is no use saying, ‘We are doing our best.’ You have got to succeed in doing what is necessary.” Sir Winston Churchill.
Tomvarndell
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by Tomvarndell »

I think we are getting a little ahead of ourselves with talk of making wholesale changes. I accept we have some big games coming up but to me this is also a big game. As much as I want Tigers to do well in Europe I see us now at a stage where our league form is more important. Our chances in Europe are extremely slim compared to domestic competitions. We need to win on Saturday. Barring maybe one or two players, Dan Cole springs to mind and the odd position where we have equal quality available I would be leaving the cotton wool treatment out this week and be fielding a side to demolish the Irish. A slip up here and then the pressure is really on us at Newcastle.