Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

TheRock

Re: London Irish v Tigers

Post by TheRock »

Roly wrote: Fri Oct 06, 2017 10:53 am
TheRock wrote: Fri Oct 06, 2017 10:32 am
Roly wrote: Fri Oct 06, 2017 10:23 am

Are you sure? Who are Saracens?
At what point did I say it was impossible to win both. I simply said being able to win the premiership doesn't automatically make you capable of winning the champions Cup.
And at what point did I say that you said it was impossible to win both?

I understand that to win both a team needs different qualities/skill sets. However, it seems fairly obvious to me that Tigers are capable of winning the league this year, but are a way short of the cohesion and consistency required to compete for a European Trophy at the moment.
The point I was originally making was the fact that we beat Exeter doesn't make us capable of winning Europe despite the fact that they won the premiership. I was agreeing with your point about tigers ability to win in Europe not sure how the example of sarries disproves that.
Robespierre
Super User
Super User

Post by Robespierre »

I would be surprised (pleasantly!) if Tigers were to win the Premiership this season, but I'd be astonished if they were to win the Champions' Cup.
Their priority has to be the Premiership, and to secure a win tomorrow. As far as the Champions' Cup is concerned, they clearly hope to do well and if they manage to get out of their pool then expectations could be raised a notch or two. We'll re-assess their chances at Christmas after the first four matches.
With regard to tomorrow's match at London Irish, I expect to see a couple of first choice players rested or have a seat on the bench . They should come back with a win, although maybe not with a bonus.
Semper in excretia
ourla
Super User
Super User

Post by ourla »

Leicester Tigers (v London Irish, away, Saturday 3.00pm)

15 Telusa Veainu
14 Nick Malouf
13 Gareth Owen
12 Matt Toomua
11 Jonny May
10 George Ford (c)
9 Sam Harrison
1 Greg Bateman
2 George McGuigan
3 Dan Cole
4 Dan Tuohy
5 Dom Barrow
6 Sione Kalamafoni
7 Will Evans
8 Valentino Mapapalangi

Replacements
16 Tom Youngs
17 Ellis Genge
18 Patrick Cilliers
19 Harry Wells
20 Luke Hamilton
21 Ben Youngs
22 Joe Ford
23 Mathew Tait

London Irish: 15 Tommy Bell, 14 Alex Lewington, 13 Aseli Tikoirotuma, 12 Greig Tonks, 11 Topsy Ojo, 10 James Marshall, 9 Ben Meehan; 1 Ben Franks, 2 David Paice (c), 3 Petrus Du Plessis, 4 Franco van der Merwe, 5 Sebastian de Chaves, 6 Josh McNally, 7 Blair Cowan, 8 Jake Schatz

Replacements: 16 Todd Gleave, 17 Harry Elrington, 18 Ollie Hoskins, 19 Teofilo Paulo, 20 Lasha Lomidze, 21 Scott Steele, 22 Theo Brophy Clews, 23 Tom Fowlie
watsonjm
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by watsonjm »

Like the looks of that team, only concern is Kalamafoni at 6
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

watsonjm wrote: Fri Oct 06, 2017 12:13 pm Like the looks of that team, only concern is Kalamafoni at 6
for me he is more of a 6 than a 8.
strawclearer
Super User
Super User

Post by strawclearer »

I quite like that 23. Good to see Evans get a start, looking forward to seeing what Gareth Owen is made of. Deserved rest for Dosser's lad and pleased to see Cilliers back. Be interesting to see how the lineout goes with McGuigan throwing to Tuohy, Barrow and Mapapalangi and I like Kalamafoni at 6. Still no Thacker.
Happy days clearing straw from the pitch before the Baa-Baas games! KBO
Wear a Mask>Protect The NHS>Save Lives
TigerCam
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerCam »

ourla wrote: Fri Oct 06, 2017 12:05 pm Leicester Tigers (v London Irish, away, Saturday 3.00pm)

15 Telusa Veainu
14 Nick Malouf
13 Gareth Owen
12 Matt Toomua
11 Jonny May
10 George Ford (c)
9 Sam Harrison
1 Greg Bateman
2 George McGuigan
3 Dan Cole
4 Dan Tuohy
5 Dom Barrow
6 Sione Kalamafoni
7 Will Evans
8 Valentino Mapapalangi

Replacements
16 Tom Youngs
17 Ellis Genge
18 Patrick Cilliers
19 Harry Wells
20 Luke Hamilton
21 Ben Youngs
22 Joe Ford
23 Mathew Tait

London Irish: 15 Tommy Bell, 14 Alex Lewington, 13 Aseli Tikoirotuma, 12 Greig Tonks, 11 Topsy Ojo, 10 James Marshall, 9 Ben Meehan; 1 Ben Franks, 2 David Paice (c), 3 Petrus Du Plessis, 4 Franco van der Merwe, 5 Sebastian de Chaves, 6 Josh McNally, 7 Blair Cowan, 8 Jake Schatz

Replacements: 16 Todd Gleave, 17 Harry Elrington, 18 Ollie Hoskins, 19 Teofilo Paulo, 20 Lasha Lomidze, 21 Scott Steele, 22 Theo Brophy Clews, 23 Tom Fowlie
My only concern there is that Alex Lewington may give Nick Malouf the run-around? He has always been, for me, one of the young guys the Tigers should have kept an nurtured. Sione at 6 will be interesting as will Papa at 8?
Whoever said "one person cannot change the world' never ate undercooked bat
TTRITH
Super User
Super User

Post by TTRITH »

Why did we sign Joe Ford? I thought Irish away would be a perfect opportunity for him to get some game time.

We can't just rely on George for 80 minutes, every game because he will burn out. Not to mention he's off on England duty soon, or Johnno forbid he gets injured, we are going to up a certain creek without a paddle.

Other than that excited to see Owen fit and playing. And that back row. :smt007

Also would have preferred to seen Dom Barrow sit out than Harry Wells, who IMO has forced himself into the reckoning to be one of the two starters.

Five points is a must.
Richard Burnett
:axe: :smt100
Mark62
Super User
Super User

Post by Mark62 »

Good team thought they might split the 1st choice half backs, expect wholesale changes on the 55 minute mark.
Surprised BOC not getting more game time, though he may be one of those that doesn’t need it. Wouldn’t worry too much about numbers on shirts for 6 and 8, they will interchange, Salvi was packing at 8 sometimes for the chiefs last week.
No worries re Malouf one on one defensively
Noddy555
Super User
Super User

Post by Noddy555 »

I Like the team as constituted as it gives opportunity whilst resting others. I thought that the acquisition of Dan Tuohy was excellent he's a player I have long admired, and it will be interesting to see if Owen lives up to the hype about him. But once again 5 points are a must so this team has to deliver.
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

What hype about Owen?
BG01

Post by BG01 »

I think players are different and BOC has always been one of those who can turn it on straight away without needing gametime (unlike someone like Mike Williams who needs a few games to get going).

It's hard to have any complaints about this team. I personally would have liked to see Tait and Cilliers start, but it's all much of a muchness.
Never believe generalisations
tigerburnie
Super User
Super User

Post by tigerburnie »

5 points would be exactly what it is, a bonus, the win we do need.

COME ON YOU TIGERRRrrrrsssss

:smt027 :smt027 :smt027
"If you want entertainment, go to the theatre," says Edinburgh head coach Richard Cockerill. "Rugby players play the game to win.15/1/21.
Hot_Charlie
Super User
Super User

Post by Hot_Charlie »

TTRITH wrote: Fri Oct 06, 2017 12:24 pm Why did we sign Joe Ford? I thought Irish away would be a perfect opportunity for him to get some game time.

We can't just rely on George for 80 minutes, every game because he will burn out. Not to mention he's off on England duty soon, or Johnno forbid he gets injured, we are going to up a certain creek without a paddle.
I suspect if George is injured then it could actually be Toomua first in line to play 10.
Also would have preferred to seen Dom Barrow sit out than Harry Wells, who IMO has forced himself into the reckoning to be one of the two starters.
Wells took the knock last week and by his standards has played two very intense games in a row. Sensible rotation with the experience of Tuohy coming in to the side before Europe starts.
Five points is a must.
4 points needed first. :smt001
strawclearer
Super User
Super User

Post by strawclearer »

So - after 6 rounds, I'd expect to see Saints and Sarries on Played 6 Won 5 with Newcastle, Exeter, Bath and ourselves on Played 6 Won 4. All to play for!
Happy days clearing straw from the pitch before the Baa-Baas games! KBO
Wear a Mask>Protect The NHS>Save Lives