London Irish v Tigers

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

voice of the crumbie
Super User
Super User

Re: London Irish v Tigers

Post by voice of the crumbie »

fleabane wrote: Thu Oct 05, 2017 2:25 pm To those suggesting that European rugby is a bit of a sideshow, consider that a home quarter final can be worth £250k! Not to be sneezed at.
:smt023

Consider also that the players view it as a step up from the premiership and that a number of signings have been attracted by the chance to play in the competition. It's another factor that offsets the fact that Tigers cannot always pay top wages. Incidentally I don't believe that the double winning teams of the early 2000's or the spectators who cheered them on viewed it as a sideshow either.
Tigers for the premiership and European Cup. Get behind the team and make some noise!!
Noddy555
Super User
Super User

Post by Noddy555 »

I deplore anyone who says that the European competitions are a bit of a sideshow, Anyone who knows anything about the game will tell you that Rugby's profile has never been higher in World sport since the inclusion of 7's rugby into the Olympic programme and that may possibly have never happened until a top Olympic Official on the Olympic council i.e the body who's responsibility it is to nominate sports for inclusion in the Olympic programme, went to a European final about 10 years ago and was so impressed by the spirit of the game and the friendly behaviour of the opposing fans that he pursued it's inclusion vigorously. :smt041
Downsouth

Post by Downsouth »

Clearly we need to pick the team best able to beat Irish. At the same time, if Logo is not 100% don't play him and if Thompstone is fit, he needs to play. I might also be tempted to include Owen (probably from the bench) and give bring on the likes of Joe Ford immediately, if we manage to secure all the points. We can and should win comfortably.
Tiglon
Super User
Super User

Post by Tiglon »

I got the impression that European rugby was described as a sideshow because we have so little chance of winning it this season. Clearly European rugby is the pinnacle of the club game, I doubt many would disagree with that.

I certainly don't think we should take London Irish lightly and field a 2nd string team with one eye on Europe. If we do that sort of thing we may find that qualification for Europe is far from secure, again. The Premiership is a big competition too and we need to be rather more competitive at the top end of the domestic league before we have reason to believe European glory is in any way likely.

Yes, the squad needs to be rotated, and players need to be rested, but that has to be done 1 or 2 at a time. A strong team needs to be put out, with a couple of players rested depending on condition, and 5 points collected.
mol2
Super User
Super User

Post by mol2 »

European rugby a sideshow? Only for those who don't get to the latter stages of the tournament.

It's just that we have been out of it in recent years come the important stages.
Roly
Super User
Super User

Post by Roly »

fleabane wrote: Thu Oct 05, 2017 2:25 pm To those suggesting that European rugby is a bit of a sideshow, consider that a home quarter final can be worth £250k! Not to be sneezed at.
Yeah, they could pay for Tuilagi to sit on the bench for another year with that kind of money.
“It is no use saying, ‘We are doing our best.’ You have got to succeed in doing what is necessary.” Sir Winston Churchill.
Roly
Super User
Super User

Post by Roly »

Tiglon wrote: Thu Oct 05, 2017 7:51 pm I got the impression that European rugby was described as a sideshow because we have so little chance of winning it this season. Clearly European rugby is the pinnacle of the club game, I doubt many would disagree with that.
Absolutely. I think some people should try reading between the lines of what others have written before they go off on one and wet their pants.
“It is no use saying, ‘We are doing our best.’ You have got to succeed in doing what is necessary.” Sir Winston Churchill.
dunc
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by dunc »

Why don't we have a chance of winning the champions cup?

We proved on Saturday our ability to compete with Europe's best. There should be more to come from this group of players too. I'm not saying we will win it but can't see how you can dismiss our chances at this stage.
tigerburnie
Super User
Super User

Post by tigerburnie »

I would promote Cockers old philosophy of one game at a time and do everything we can to win it.
"If you want entertainment, go to the theatre," says Edinburgh head coach Richard Cockerill. "Rugby players play the game to win.15/1/21.
Roly
Super User
Super User

Post by Roly »

dunc wrote: Fri Oct 06, 2017 8:51 am Why don't we have a chance of winning the champions cup?

We proved on Saturday our ability to compete with Europe's best.
There should be more to come from this group of players too. I'm not saying we will win it but can't see how you can dismiss our chances at this stage.

Tigers are a good team, better than average in the league - but you really don't have to have that much pedigree in watching the competition and knowing what it takes, to realise that Tigers are simply not good enough to lift the European Cup again - yet.

Tigers did not beat Saracens on Saturday.
Robespierre
Super User
Super User

Post by Robespierre »

Noddy555 wrote: Thu Oct 05, 2017 4:58 pm I deplore anyone who says that the European competitions are a bit of a sideshow, Anyone who knows anything about the game will tell you that Rugby's profile has never been higher in World sport since the inclusion of 7's rugby into the Olympic programme and that may possibly have never happened until a top Olympic Official on the Olympic council i.e the body who's responsibility it is to nominate sports for inclusion in the Olympic programme, went to a European final about 10 years ago and was so impressed by the spirit of the game and the friendly behaviour of the opposing fans that he pursued it's inclusion vigorously. :smt041
Good point, Noddy, but a bit more punctuation please, because I was nearly out of breath when I got to the end!!!! :smt002
Semper in excretia
TheRock

Post by TheRock »

Roly wrote: Fri Oct 06, 2017 9:12 am
dunc wrote: Fri Oct 06, 2017 8:51 am Why don't we have a chance of winning the champions cup?

There should be more to come from this group of players too. I'm not saying we will win it but can't see how you can dismiss our chances at this stage.

Tigers are a good team, better than average in the league - but you really don't have to have that much pedigree in watching the competition and knowing what it takes, to realise that Tigers are simply not good enough to lift the European Cup again - yet.

That Exeter team that won the premiership last season got battered twice in Europe by Clermont and didn't make it out the group. We won the premiership in 2013 and didn't get past the quarters. Having the ability to win in Europe is very different from winning the premiership
Roly
Super User
Super User

Post by Roly »

TheRock wrote: Fri Oct 06, 2017 10:18 am

That Exeter team that won the premiership last season got battered twice in Europe by Clermont and didn't make it out the group. We won the premiership in 2013 and didn't get past the quarters. Having the ability to win in Europe is very different from winning the premiership
Are you sure? Who are Saracens?
TheRock

Post by TheRock »

Roly wrote: Fri Oct 06, 2017 10:23 am

At what point did I say it was impossible to win both. I simply said being able to win the premiership doesn't automatically make you capable of winning the champions Cup.
Roly
Super User
Super User

Post by Roly »

TheRock wrote: Fri Oct 06, 2017 10:32 am
Roly wrote: Fri Oct 06, 2017 10:23 am

At what point did I say it was impossible to win both. I simply said being able to win the premiership doesn't automatically make you capable of winning the champions Cup.
And at what point did I say that you said it was impossible to win both?

I understand that to win both a team needs different qualities/skill sets and I used Saracens as an example of that. However, it seems fairly obvious to me that Tigers are capable of winning the league this year, but are a way short of the cohesion and consistency required to compete for a European Trophy at the moment. Tigers are also only a couple (at most) of injuries to key players away from struggling. Its a long season, I just wonder whether it isn't worth concentrating on one competition over the other.