London Irish v Tigers

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Roly
Super User
Super User

Re: London Irish v Tigers

Post by Roly »

Tomvarndell wrote: Wed Oct 04, 2017 9:34 am I think we are getting a little ahead of ourselves with talk of making wholesale changes. I accept we have some big games coming up but to me this is also a big game. As much as I want Tigers to do well in Europe I see us now at a stage where our league form is more important. Our chances in Europe are extremely slim compared to domestic competitions. We need to win on Saturday. Barring maybe one or two players, Dan Cole springs to mind and the odd position where we have equal quality available I would be leaving the cotton wool treatment out this week and be fielding a side to demolish the Irish. A slip up here and then the pressure is really on us at Newcastle.
100% Agree. From my point of view, Europe is a sideshow when compared to the potential for success in the League this year. If anything, Europe is where the team should be showcasing its young/new talent.
“It is no use saying, ‘We are doing our best.’ You have got to succeed in doing what is necessary.” Sir Winston Churchill.
westwinds31
Super User
Super User

Post by westwinds31 »

Agreed. Irish will come out all guns blazing given their at home and also desperate ! They have some dangerous players, notably Lewington, Treviranus, Tikirotuma and their line out is pretty decent, as you'd expect under Nick Kennedy. Same as last week please in terms of the Tigers 23, unless there were any injuries.
Noddy555
Super User
Super User

Post by Noddy555 »

5 points are a must this Saturday if we want to keep up with the top clubs in the league. After 3 wins on the trot confidence must be high but it is imperative that we knuckle down to the task in hand and produce the goods.
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

Noddy555 wrote: Wed Oct 04, 2017 4:09 pm 5 points are a must this Saturday if we want to keep up with the top clubs in the league. After 3 wins on the trot confidence must be high but it is imperative that we knuckle down to the task in hand and produce the goods.
Agreed. Five points first and then look ahead to Europe. The only player I'd consider resting is Cole but I don't think we can given our options, if Cilliers is fit enough for the bench hopefully he can get thirty minutes.
BG01

Post by BG01 »

I think everyone agrees that we should put out a strong team with no more than half and eye to the coming weeks.

There is a case for that strongest team including fit and fresh players like McGuigan, Tait, and Mapapalangi over their counterparts who have put in a massive shift for the past 5 games.

I expect we'll only see a couple of unenforced changes, and that's probably about right.
Never believe generalisations
Grimlish
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Grimlish »

5 points are a must this Saturday if we want to keep up with the top clubs in the league.
Not really. A win is a must. 5 points is a ‘Nice to have’. As often happens other fixtures between teams who are above us or who could be above us if we don’t win will have the effect of winnowing out the opposition. Strangely that includes Exeter Vs Newcastle and more predictably Sarries Vs Wasps, arguably even Sinners Vs Gloucester.

I know as ‘true fans’ we want to express our fervour but at this stage of the season it’s all about staying in the race. Surely as Tigers fans we should know that is what the history books tell us.
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

Grimlish wrote: Wed Oct 04, 2017 11:37 pm
5 points are a must this Saturday if we want to keep up with the top clubs in the league.
Not really. A win is a must. 5 points is a ‘Nice to have’. As often happens other fixtures between teams who are above us or who could be above us if we don’t win will have the effect of winnowing out the opposition. Strangely that includes Exeter Vs Newcastle and more predictably Sarries Vs Wasps, arguably even Sinners Vs Gloucester.

I know as ‘true fans’ we want to express our fervour but at this stage of the season it’s all about staying in the race. Surely as Tigers fans we should know that is what the history books tell us.
Yes that is true but in the past seasons if we had had got more BPs we would have been in the top 2. I’m sure i’m the 15/16 season only London Irish and Newcastle had less Bonus Points then we did, but please correct me if wrong
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
Roly
Super User
Super User

Post by Roly »

Grimlish wrote: Wed Oct 04, 2017 11:37 pm

To stay in the race, you've GOT to be taking 5 points off teams where you can, because you can be sure, the top teams will do this, not getting bonus points against 'weaker' teams has cost Tigers in recent years.
“It is no use saying, ‘We are doing our best.’ You have got to succeed in doing what is necessary.” Sir Winston Churchill.
Tomvarndell
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by Tomvarndell »

A fact borne out by the league table at present with Exeter being four points ahead of us with the same wins and losses.
Roly
Super User
Super User

Post by Roly »

Tomvarndell wrote: Thu Oct 05, 2017 10:29 am A fact borne out by the league table at present with Exeter being four points ahead of us with the same wins and losses.
I think there was one season where Tigers were the only team in the league who didn't take 5 points off London Welsh home and away...

Not quite sure of my point - but I think its that if Tigers want to be challenging for a home semi-final, taking 5 points off the likes of LI is a MUST.
Mark62
Super User
Super User

Post by Mark62 »

But the opposition must be taken into account. The only bonus point we can say we let slip was the Gloucester match
BFG
Super User
Super User

Post by BFG »

Oh no, here we go again with the try bonus point debate, talk about come full circle!
This debate was one of the founding calls for more expansive rugby which ended up costing more.
Bonus points must be tried to be taken against weaker teams so a full strength Leicester side is a must IMO.
Get the points if and when you can, one week at a time!
Others are not quite doing it as Sarries only took four points against Wuss last week.
Not one club has had a perfect start.
strawclearer
Super User
Super User

Post by strawclearer »

OTY in the Merc...

"...it is hard to find the answer at times. It takes time for a team to gel and when you are getting a lot of changes though injury, it does affect the rhythm of the team. When you can get a 23 going on a roll, it is great if you can keep them fit and keep that continuity."

I suspect minimal changes with early substitutions if all goes well.
Happy days clearing straw from the pitch before the Baa-Baas games! KBO
Wear a Mask>Protect The NHS>Save Lives
doublecarpet

Post by doublecarpet »

Mark62 wrote: Thu Oct 05, 2017 12:51 pm But the opposition must be taken into account. The only bonus point we can say we let slip was the Gloucester match

Indeed, although it could be argued we gifted Exeter one of theirs at the end of last week's game. Getting the bonus point and protecting against the opposition getting one should also be taken into account.
fleabane
Super User
Super User

Post by fleabane »

To those suggesting that European rugby is a bit of a sideshow, consider that a home quarter final can be worth £250k! Not to be sneezed at.
Valhalla I am coming!