Time for a rest?

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

animalnitrate
Tiger Cub

Time for a rest?

Post by animalnitrate »

With quite a few of our star players having started in every single game so far this season, is the Exiles game time to rest a few players i.e. Toomua, Youngs, May etc.

In theory the game against the Irish should at least be a four-point win, although they do look dangerous occasionally and will pounce on any errors we make. But with European fixtures around the corner we should we be looking at starting the game with the likes of Harrison, Mcquigan, Tait and Mapapalangi?
Stephen18
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Re: Time for a rest?

Post by Stephen18 »

I completely agree it a long season and you have to use your squad wisely specially now with injuries seeming more and more common this year across the league. Especially want to see cole rested played another 80mins at the weekend props just don't do that nowadays.
ourla
Super User
Super User

Post by ourla »

You would have thought there would be some squad rotation.

I've always favoured the idea of blasting the oppo out the water the first 40 and then make the changes rather than field a weakened line up and bring the big guns on if it goes tits up.

Genge, Logo, Ryan of course were rested this week so should start. And maybe Thompstone/Brady are back? Would have thought McGuigan would get a start.

Genge and Logo were withdrawn with injuries so may not be avialable this weekend. It is important that we retain a settled back line going into the European games and keep the momentum going. The Anglo Welsh cup is the ideal time to give some players some rest.
Mark62
Super User
Super User

Post by Mark62 »

Agree we need a win not to loose momentum as much as anything else, but depending on fitness would like to see something like

Bateman, Mcguigan, Logo, Wells, Tuhoy(spelling), Hamilton, OConner, Mapalanga, Harrison, Joe Ford, Thompstone, Tait, Evans, Malouf, Brady
Bench of T Youngs, Genge, Cole, Barrow, Williams, B Youngs, G Ford and Veianu

O'Connor and Thompstone because they need the match time to be right for Europe
BG01

Post by BG01 »

I think London Irish will be a tougher challenge than you might expect, and will feel they have a point to prove.

While generally I think consistency is good as a team builds, there are a few tough weeks coming up, some players are bound to be tired already, some players are putting their hands up, and some players need a bit of fitness as they'll be playing a role in the next four weeks.

I'd go for a similar team as Mark 62 (depending on injuries [assume Thacker is still out?] and training).

1 Bateman
2 McGuigan
3 Baumann
4 Wells
5 Barrow
6 Williams
7 BOC
8 Mapapalangi
9 Youngs
10 Ford
11 May
12 Smith
13 Tait
14 Malouf
15 Veainu

16 Youngs/Thacker (if fit)
17 Genge
18 Logo
19 Tuohy
20 Ryan/Evans (if fit)
21 Harrison
22 J Ford
23 Owen/Thompstone (if fit)
Never believe generalisations
Will S
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Will S »

We are entering a period where we can really make a push and claim some points. Dropping points over the next few games would be a real waste. I agree we need to rest players but I don't think it would be great to suddenly change two thirds of our team. Rest a couple of players each game. Keep the continuity up and bring fringe players into a winning unit.
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

1. Bateman
2. Youngs
3. Logo
4. Wells
5. Tuohy
6. Hamilton
7. Evans
8. Mapapalangi
9. Harrison
10. J Ford
11. Holmes
12. Toomua
13. Smith/Owen
14. Malouf
15. Vieanu
16. George Mcguigan
17. Ellis Genge
18. Ben Betts/ Baumman
19. Barrow
20. Kalamafoni
21. Ben Youngs
22. George Ford
23. Mat Tait
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
strawclearer
Super User
Super User

Post by strawclearer »

I guess there's a difference between 'Time for a Rest' and 'Time to Protect'. Matt Toomua may be full of running but as our best/only 12 and a key influence on our performances to date, I'd be keen to protect him. Dan Coles fits into both categories.
Happy days clearing straw from the pitch before the Baa-Baas games! KBO
Wear a Mask>Protect The NHS>Save Lives
Mark62
Super User
Super User

Post by Mark62 »

strawclearer wrote: Mon Oct 02, 2017 4:32 pm I guess there's a difference between 'Time for a Rest' and 'Time to Protect'. Matt Toomua may be full of running but as our best/only 12 and a key influence on our performances to date, I'd be keen to protect him. Dan Coles fits into both categories.
Agreed from the past 3 games, I would add Genge, if fit, Khalamafoni, May and Veianu.

My other concern is that Joe Ford, unlike Sam Harrison , has had no game time, so we may see the half backs split, with Ben starting with Joe and Sam coming on after around 50 with George, or vice versa
Stephen18
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by Stephen18 »

strawclearer wrote: Mon Oct 02, 2017 4:32 pm I guess there's a difference between 'Time for a Rest' and 'Time to Protect'. Matt Toomua may be full of running but as our best/only 12 and a key influence on our performances to date, I'd be keen to protect him. Dan Coles fits into both categories.

Completely agree with this also the fact that the modern game is a squad game and players have to be able to drop in and be straight up to speed, so we need to be giving games time to the players who are replacing the England player for November and six nations, so joe ford needs game time with Harrison and props you can see already they step forward Bateman has made by getting game time and in order for the others to get up to top 4 premiership standard they need game time especially props not 1-2minutes at the end of the game.
voice of the crumbie
Super User
Super User

Post by voice of the crumbie »

With all due respect to Irish we should be targeting this game as a five pointer. The teams ahead of us already have several bonus points (e.g. Exeter 5, Saints and Falcons 3 ) compared to our 1 LBP against Bath. We're already playing catch up and need to take opportunities to narrow the gap. I'd like to think we could secure a home premiership semi rather than chasing 4th place again.

We have just started building momentum and getting key combinations working well and the wholesale changes suggested by some might disrupt that. An odd change might work ok especially if we put the usual 1st choice player on the bench just in case things don't go to plan. Winning becomes a habit - I know that's a cliche but the fact it is a cliche indicates that it has some degree of truth about it. Also as others have pointed out European games are on the horizon and I would prefer to send out battle hardened troops who are in a winning groove especially as this will be another step up in intensity and quality of opposition.

I'm all for squad rotation and resting players when appropriate however as others have pointed out the AWC is our opportunity to do this.
Tigers for the premiership and European Cup. Get behind the team and make some noise!!