Line out cheating

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Big Dai
Super User
Super User

Re: Line out cheating

Post by Big Dai »

Normalisation of deviance. Refs ping it....it stops. Refs ignore it, it at least remains as bad a problem or gets worse.

Offside. Once upon a time the scrum half dummied, the forward crossed the offside line he was pinged. Now, no dummy, the forward crosses the line at the ruck, waves his arms in the air, retreats, gets away with it. Next time he doesn't retreat quite as quickly, play carries on and he advances from an offside position to tackle and some twit yells "great line speed".

IMHO the laws are being diluted because the television and the paying public want to see a fast aggressive game. (I could harrumph and mention that the intelligence of the average crowd is dropping.....but then I would just be being a "grumpy old man, reactionary and out of step with developments in the game.")

The laws are (were) there to help create competition both for space and for the ball. Apply them!
Exile Wigstonite living in Wales.
Poet laureate of the "One Eyed Turk".
Bar stool philosopher in the "Wilted Daffodil"
BengalTiger

Re: Line out cheating

Post by BengalTiger »

Tiglon wrote: Tue Oct 03, 2017 11:40 am
BengalTiger wrote: Mon Oct 02, 2017 7:22 pm Thanks for the offer but I will carry on watching Rugby, the the ref should say no and award a free kick to the opposition problem solved, it need not become a penalty fest, that is the point of a penalty, to deter offending as well as punishing the offence, that is where some people who do not understand the big words like deterrent get confused!!
Our difference of opinion is not because I "do not understand big words like deterrent". It is because I disagree that there is a problem that needs to be solved, because in my opinion what happens in the situation describ on theed has little or no material influence on a match. It's ok that we disagree on this, and we don't need to resort to personal attacks on each other's understanding of the human language in order to "win" the disagreement.
My unreserved apologies, the point I was trying to make was that enforcing the laws does not necessarily make it a penalty fest as you suggested, my view is that if a team / players know they will give away possession or a penalty they stop doing it, or at least do it less, the reluctance to apply the law is a pox game and reduces competition in many areas for no good purpose, premeditated infringements that I raised are easy to stamp out if the refs want to, I just cannot understand why they do not, it is the same with defending teams creeping up offside, it is easy to stop but there is a reluctance to enforce the law but to do so would make he game a better spectacle.