LEICESTER TIGERS 2017/18 SQUAD/TRANSFERS/CONTRACT THREAD PART 2!!

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Tiger93

Re: LEICESTER TIGERS 2017/18 SQUAD/TRANSFERS/CONTRACT THREAD PART 2!!

Post by Tiger93 »

Foundations laid over the past few seasons by Paul Walsh. Doing a great job though.
Leicestertinytiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Leicestertinytiger »

So basically everything said by RugbyInsideLine was b*llocks and he’s a wind up merchant.

Hoping for the Cordero and Gigena anouncement soon to brighten up our week.
strawclearer
Super User
Super User

Post by strawclearer »

Leicestertinytiger wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2018 12:49 pm So basically everything said by RugbyInsideLine was b*llocks and he’s a wind up merchant.
He's a Saints 'supporter' and rugby troll - best ignored imho.
Happy days clearing straw from the pitch before the Baa-Baas games! KBO
Wear a Mask>Protect The NHS>Save Lives
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

LE18 wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2018 12:45 pm
JP14 wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2018 12:05 pm Correction Trendy, Chuter is currently DOR at Hinckley RFC
And look how well they are doing in league, top!
I know right at least some club in the East Mids is doing well
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

Gigena could be announced anytime soon I believe.
Tiger93

Post by Tiger93 »

JP14 wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2018 1:04 pm
JP14 wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2018 12:05 pm Correction Trendy, Chuter is currently DOR at Hinckley RFC
Given Wasps interference in schools in that area and the club itself, Hinckley is no longer a solid outpost for Tigers, even with Chutes in charge.
kpj tiger
Super User
Super User

Post by kpj tiger »

Tiger93 wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2018 1:33 pm

Given Wasps interference in schools in that area and the club itself, Hinckley is no longer a solid outpost for Tigers, even with Chutes in charge.
Unfortunately this is true, as somebody who grew up playing for Hinckley mini's and juniors I always used to see the Tuilagi family down there as well as other Tigers players and staff, was exactly the same at John Cleveland College too, now there are posters around Hinckley for get fit rugby classes ran by Hinckley in co-ordination with Wasps.

I don't understand how Tigers have let this rugby hotbed simply fall into Wasps lap, another case of the "#Tigersfamily" not living up to those values? :smt012
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

As far as I believe, Tigers only involvement in Hinckley now is because it’s still used as DPP ground
Tiger93

Post by Tiger93 »

kpj tiger wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2018 1:49 pm

Unfortunately this is true, as somebody who grew up playing for Hinckley mini's and juniors I always used to see the Tuilagi family down there as well as other Tigers players and staff, was exactly the same at John Cleveland College too, now there are posters around Hinckley for get fit rugby classes ran by Hinckley in co-ordination with Wasps.

I don't understand how Tigers have let this rugby hotbed simply fall into Wasps lap, another case of the "#Tigersfamily" not living up to those values? :smt012
Its a serious issue. Sickens me what's happening to my hometown. It does make a major mockery of the #TigersFamily theme.

Letting Hinckley go would be/is tragic.
LE18
Super User
Super User

Post by LE18 »

They seem to concentrate more on East Anglia, Lincolnshire etc.
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

Sickens me too
kpj tiger
Super User
Super User

Post by kpj tiger »

Tiger93 wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2018 2:35 pm
kpj tiger wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2018 1:49 pm

Its a serious issue. Sickens me what's happening to my hometown. It does make a major mockery of the #TigersFamily theme.

Letting Hinckley go would be/is tragic.
Its made worse by the talent that Tigers have historically gained from the Hinckley area, Sam Harrison, Manu Tuilagi, Ollie Smith, Sam Vesty, Graham Rowntree, Dean Richards and Peter Tom have all played for Hinckley or JCC
BFG
Super User
Super User

Post by BFG »

You have to know the politics of schools rugby to understand what has happened with Hinckley.
When John Cleveland were doing so well in the Daily Mail competitions that took the limelight away from certain other schools and it didn't go down well with all, there were some who just didn't want control of proceedings being taken out of their hands and were quite bitter about it!
I think there was a quite intentional period of a lack of opportunities for their youngsters to develop, intended to keep them down until out of the picture, the link was broken and Wasps moved in.
They ignored a lot of lads from Hinckley for a spell, the kids missed out, and Leicester missed out as there were some potential top players in my opinion.
They have some good coaches at Hinckley and not just the famous names, there are some good blokes about!
johnthegriff
Super User
Super User

Post by johnthegriff »

Tigers are spending more and more on their community programme, I believe they had four new employees start in that department today. Wasps have moved into the area and like typical parasites they are leeching off work done over many years by us Worcester and Saints. Academy recruitment areas are strictly defined and we or any other professional club are not allowed to approach any youngster out of our specific area. They can however approach us.
Grimlish
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Grimlish »

The relationship with local communities and institutions can be a minefield.

I brought my neighbour and his family to a game earlier this season. Both offspring play junior rugby with the local club. Turns out one is a Tigers fan and the other is a Wasps fan along with all his teammates in his year group. The club has brought groups to Tigers forever but on one occasion when they wanted to tie it to a training day Tigers were unable to accommodate their dates for the year group in question. They went to Wasps instead. Game over for that group of potential fans/players... Worse still the parents (rugby newbies really) enjoyed the atmosphere at Wasps when they went - they found it more approachable (I think that means they knew when to cheer and chant cos they were told when - may heaven help us all). I suppose we could just wait for the franchise to move on but we shouldn't count on it...