LEICESTER TIGERS 2017/18 SQUAD/TRANSFERS/CONTRACT THREAD PART 2!!

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Tigerbeat

Re: LEICESTER TIGERS 2017/18 SQUAD/TRANSFERS/CONTRACT THREAD PART 2!!

Post by Tigerbeat »

We currently do not have any long term injuries in the back row. I believe that these signings are injury cover for Genge, Pakalani and Veanu.....however these may be longer term.
The salary cap is probably limiting the signing of back rowers at the moment.....expect the balance to get right or see new players come in for next season....we are stuck with what we have at the moment.
SUPPORT THE MATT HAMPSON TRUST
www.matthampson.co.uk
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

What is limiting our signing of forwards now is availability not many players are out of contract mid season TPN wouldn't be if Western force wasn't dismantled and Cordero wants out of Argentina rugby..

I'm 100% confident we will be signing a fair amount of forwards for next season.
Leicestertinytiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Leicestertinytiger »

It’s going to take longer than 1 season to build the squad. Signings of TPN, Gigena and Cordero are all good additions mid season and should give us a boost going into next year.
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

Tigerbeat wrote: Fri Dec 29, 2017 11:57 am We currently do not have any long term injuries in the back row. I believe that these signings are injury cover for Genge, Pakalani and Veanu.....however these may be longer term.
The salary cap is probably limiting the signing of back rowers at the moment.....expect the balance to get right or see new players come in for next season....we are stuck with what we have at the moment.
I saw somewhere that Cordero is signing for Harlequins next season as their replacement for Yarde so maybe he’s coming here on a deal towards the end of the season as injury cover, get experience of the Premiership before he pops off to Quins
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
Leicestertinytiger
Super User
Super User

I got the impression we were signing him with a view for the long term. Hopefully it’s longer than just the rest of the season.
Spicer
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Spicer »

What's the point of signing another winger? It's the position where we now have the best depth and quality. May, Malouf, Thompstone and Holmes are good.
voice of the crumbie
Super User
Super User

Post by voice of the crumbie »

Spicer wrote: Sat Dec 30, 2017 12:51 pm What's the point of signing another winger? It's the position where we now have the best depth and quality. May, Malouf, Thompstone and Holmes are good.
He's also an able full back - a position in which our 2 first choices (Veianu and Pakalani) are currently injured - and can play 13 as well - again a position we need cover for given the injury records of Manu and Gareth Owen and Manu's likelihood of a 6 Nations call up if he's fit. The next alternatives in both those positions is Mat Tait who still has a good rugby brain and generally won't let us down in defence but lacks the go forward and pace of his younger days. Given that, I can understand the signing.
Tigers for the premiership and European Cup. Get behind the team and make some noise!!
Leicestertinytiger
Super User
Super User

Cordero is basically Tait’s replacement. Mainly a fullback in Argentinian club rugby who can cover wing and 13.
strawclearer
Super User
Super User

Post by strawclearer »

Leicestertinytiger wrote: Sat Dec 30, 2017 1:32 pm Cordero is basically Tait’s replacement. Mainly a fullback in Argentinian club rugby who can cover wing and 13.
That's a nice sentence...much better without the words 'temporary' or 'interim' or 'injury replacement'!
Happy days clearing straw from the pitch before the Baa-Baas games! KBO
Wear a Mask>Protect The NHS>Save Lives
strawclearer
Super User
Super User

Post by strawclearer »

"Dear Agent

I'm 28; an England & Lions lock with my very best years just ahead of me. My East Midlands club side are struggling and, much as I love them, the future looks bleak. I'm married with 4 kids and I'd rather not move house if possible.

Do you know if any local club sides might be interested in me for, say, the next 3 years? Ideally, they'll be looking for a good line-out operator who's a bit of an enforcer!"
Happy days clearing straw from the pitch before the Baa-Baas games! KBO
Wear a Mask>Protect The NHS>Save Lives
chewbacca
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by chewbacca »

Would be handy for us but would he want to play for a 'mid-table' side.
I'm not cynical just experienced
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

chewbacca wrote: Sat Dec 30, 2017 5:03 pm Would be handy for us but would he want to play for a 'mid-table' side.
Better than bottom-table Saints :smt023
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
johnthegriff
Super User
Super User

Post by johnthegriff »

He has been happy to play for one for a while, now mid table is a promotion for him.
LE18
Super User
Super User

Post by LE18 »

we are only 1 place above them! :smt047
voice of the crumbie
Super User
Super User

Post by voice of the crumbie »

strawclearer wrote: Sat Dec 30, 2017 5:01 pm "Dear Agent

I'm 28; an England & Lions lock with my very best years just ahead of me. My East Midlands club side are struggling and, much as I love them, the future looks bleak. I'm married with 4 kids and I'd rather not move house if possible.

Do you know if any local club sides might be interested in me for, say, the next 3 years? Ideally, they'll be looking for a good line-out operator who's a bit of an enforcer!"
Dear Rugby Player

There is a club who have just moved to Coventry who might be interested. They do have a similar type of player on their books with whom I suspect you may have played internationally and whose omission from the last Lions tour was rather puzzling. That club might just be interested in having the 2 of you playing together. Given some of the signings they have made previously I would suspect that money would not prove a difficulty. One adjustment you would have to make is to get used to challenging for trophies - something your current club and their other near neighbours seem to have forgotten how to do.
Tigers for the premiership and European Cup. Get behind the team and make some noise!!