LEICESTER TIGERS 2017/18 SQUAD/TRANSFERS/CONTRACT THREAD PART 2!!

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

trendylfj
Super User
Super User

Re: LEICESTER TIGERS 2017/18 SQUAD/TRANSFERS/CONTRACT THREAD PART 2!!

Post by trendylfj »

We do this every time we have a run of poor results, or at least have done recently - dissecting the squad in fine detail and ditching players who are fringe players at the best so I am going to join in with my twopence.
I have no real issue with our props other than we have probably 1 or 2 too many who are not good enough - agree about Baumann being No1 to go and closely followed by Traynor. 2 out and 1 in - I like Waller but don't think he is available.
Hookers I am happy with until I am proved wrong in that TPN should be our preferred option and if TY does take time out at the end of the season would like one more as back up.
Like almost everyone else, I agree that we need 2 new top class 2nd rows - who and where from is another question - not too many Retalicks about.
It is the back row which I have most problems with - we are either going to compete for the ball at the breakdown with genuine back rows or we don't compete at all and just hope for the best - DC cannot be allowed to continue doing this - far too many penalties. Playing 3 ball carriers and no open side doesn't work IMHO

Until the pack have "go forward" grunt put in we will not see the best of our backs and yes I would keep Tait/Smith for one more year and hope to sign Ryan Mills as back up 10 as I have said several times before.
Finally any kick in field is only as good as the chase otherwise it is just giving the ball away. We need to speed up the service in order to give GF and MT the space they need and if the other players are not there to receive the ball in time then they replacing. Defences are too good if they are given time to organise.
Hehehehehehehehe
Loob19

Post by Loob19 »

RagingBull wrote: Mon Dec 18, 2017 12:34 pm Would anyone want Tommy Bell back?
Is this something you’ve heard? Heck of a player but not sure where he would fit in with us.
sapajo
Super User
Super User

Post by sapajo »

RagingBull wrote: Mon Dec 18, 2017 12:34 pm Would anyone want Tommy Bell back?
No, we have moved on. Have we not?
Without hope we are nothing, keep the faith, a Tiger for eternity
strawclearer
Super User
Super User

Post by strawclearer »

Well - as everyone else seems to be dissecting the squad.....

X marks the Spot (that we need to fill):

1. Genge, X, Mulipola, X (4)
2. Polota-Nau, Bateman, Youngs, X (4)
3. Cole, X, Cilliers, X (4)
4. X, Barrow, Maksymiw (3)
5. X, Wells, Fitzgerald (3)
6. Williams, Mapapalangi, X (3)
7. O'Connor, Hamilton, Evans (3)
8. X, Kalamafoni (2)
9. Youngs, Harrison, Simmons (3)
10.Ford G, X, Hardwick (3)
11.May, Holmes (2)
12.Toomua, Owen, X (3)
13.Tuilagi, Thacker, X (3)
14.Thompstone, Malouf (2)
15.Veainu, Worth, Pakalani (3)

That's 45 in the full squad - currently it's 44. Key appointments for me - 2 props we're happy to start with when Ellis and Dan are away; 2 'enforcer' locks and a 'proper' 8 (all of whom can keep Dan away from the breakdown); a 10 or 10/12 plus another centre. My 'old school' instincts demand a 'Salvi' at 7 rather than a big hitter - again keeping Dan from the breakdown! (Spot the pattern developing here, Dan?)
Happy days clearing straw from the pitch before the Baa-Baas games! KBO
Wear a Mask>Protect The NHS>Save Lives
drc_007
Super User
Super User

Post by drc_007 »

strawclearer wrote: Mon Dec 18, 2017 9:31 pm Well - as everyone else seems to be dissecting the squad.....

8. X, Kalamafoni (2)
11.May, Holmes (2)
12.Toomua, Owen, X (3)

That's 45 in the full squad - currently it's 44. Key appointments for me - 2 props we're happy to start with when Ellis and Dan are away; 2 'enforcer' locks and a 'proper' 8 (all of whom can keep Dan away from the breakdown); a 10 or 10/12 plus another centre. My 'old school' instincts demand a 'Salvi' at 7 rather than a big hitter - again keeping Dan from the breakdown! (Spot the pattern developing here, Dan?)
I'd have Kalamafoni down as a 6 and look to recruit 2 big ball carers for No8

No Catchpole?
strawclearer
Super User
Super User

Post by strawclearer »

drc_007 wrote: Mon Dec 18, 2017 9:46 pm
strawclearer wrote: Mon Dec 18, 2017 9:31 pm
8. X, Kalamafoni (2)

No Catchpole?
Yes - as do you - and as did Glaws - I see Kalamafoni as a natural 6 who covers 8. I'd have put him at 6 but that would leave us having to find two 8's! As for Catchpole - mea culpa - an omission in error.
Happy days clearing straw from the pitch before the Baa-Baas games! KBO
Wear a Mask>Protect The NHS>Save Lives
LE18
Super User
Super User

Post by LE18 »

strawclearer wrote: Mon Dec 18, 2017 9:31 pm Well - as everyone else seems to be dissecting the squad.....

8. X, Kalamafoni (2)
11.May, Holmes (2)
12.Toomua, Owen, X (3)

You keep saying "keep Dan away from the breakdown" but what about his poor handling skills?
Loob19

Post by Loob19 »

strawclearer wrote: Mon Dec 18, 2017 10:22 pm
drc_007 wrote: Mon Dec 18, 2017 9:46 pm
strawclearer wrote: Mon Dec 18, 2017 9:31 pm
8. X, Kalamafoni (2)

No Catchpole?
Yes - as do you - and as did Glaws - I see Kalamafoni as a natural 6 who covers 8. I'd have put him at 6 but that would leave us having to find two 8's! As for Catchpole - mea culpa - an omission in error.
Surely Mapapalangi is one of those 8s?
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

Mapapalangi is a big no8, unfortunately my worry is without a top-notch forward coach, Deacs is just telling him to run into people junior rugby style with no or little technique, a coach like Plumtree who has coached incredible ball carriers like Ardie Savea and The Beast would hopefully teach Tino a bit more technique into ball-carrying so then we would see more go-forward. Defences are too well drilled (well apart from us, the Exiles and Harlequins it seems) that there is no point in just passing to the big guy to try and blast a hole. So in my view, the next coach to come in, hopefully of the calibre of Plumtree, can teach the players the right mentality and technique, then we might see our forwards making more considerable yardage.
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
SirGordonRamsey

Post by SirGordonRamsey »

Has it been mentioned that GUY THOMPSON is pretty much confirmed to us next season?

Andy Goode said so on the Rugby Pod and he's well in with Wasps at the mo being part of their hospitality team.
Egg Chasers Rugby Podcast: 'Tigers Jeresy, its like getting into an E Type Jag'
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

I believe it was Goode who said last year that Kalamafoni would sign for us, so he is a trustworthy source
drc_007
Super User
Super User

Post by drc_007 »

JP14 wrote: Tue Dec 19, 2017 3:21 pm Mapapalangi is a big no8, unfortunately my worry is without a top-notch forward coach, Deacs is just telling him to run into people
This is one of the biggest issues, why do the Tigers forwards always aim to run at an opposition player, rarely at the gaps between players?
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

drc_007 wrote: Wed Dec 20, 2017 2:00 pm
JP14 wrote: Tue Dec 19, 2017 3:21 pm Mapapalangi is a big no8, unfortunately my worry is without a top-notch forward coach, Deacs is just telling him to run into people
This is one of the biggest issues, why do the Tigers forwards always aim to run at an opposition player, rarely at the gaps between players?
As I concluded, it’s the mentality and the level of coaching. 🤞 If I was Cohen I would heaven & earth to get a top-class forwards coach and if I was MOC I’d take my players on a mentality exercise similar to what they did at Bath, for me mentality was the reason we lost to Worcester, lost our two opening games and why we got penalised so much against Munster
doublecarpet

Post by doublecarpet »

SirGordonRamsey wrote: Tue Dec 19, 2017 5:38 pm Has it been mentioned that GUY THOMPSON is pretty much confirmed to us next season?

Andy Goode said so on the Rugby Pod and he's well in with Wasps at the mo being part of their hospitality team.
Not sure what happened to him, but can't get much game time, albeit in a very talented backrow. 30 though....
...we could do with top class talent in that area although we're not Bath or Sarries I guess.....
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

doublecarpet wrote: Wed Dec 20, 2017 3:17 pm
SirGordonRamsey wrote: Tue Dec 19, 2017 5:38 pm Has it been mentioned that GUY THOMPSON is pretty much confirmed to us next season?

Not sure what happened to him, but can't get much game time, albeit in a very talented backrow. 30 though....
...we could do with top class talent in that area although we're not Bath or Sarries I guess.....
He's been injured otherwise he'd be in the team. Good player and he covers the backrow. If he signs you'd presume the rumours of Hamilton heading north of the border are true.