LEICESTER TIGERS 2017/18 SQUAD/TRANSFERS/CONTRACT THREAD PART 2!!

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Hot_Charlie
Super User
Super User

Re: LEICESTER TIGERS 2017/18 SQUAD/TRANSFERS/CONTRACT THREAD PART 2!!

Post by Hot_Charlie »

RagingBull wrote: Mon Dec 04, 2017 10:49 am 7 i'm a bit unsure of I like Evans but if we where able to sign a hard running 7 (Like Thompson or at a bigger price Smith)
Which Smith?
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

Hot_Charlie wrote: Mon Dec 04, 2017 11:09 am
RagingBull wrote: Mon Dec 04, 2017 10:49 am 7 i'm a bit unsure of I like Evans but if we where able to sign a hard running 7 (Like Thompson or at a bigger price Smith)
Which Smith?
Kwagga
Leicestertinytiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Leicestertinytiger »

We already have a hard running no.7 in Hamilton who before he got injured was on great form. Tigers best backrower alongside Kalamafoni at the moment and we definitely will want him to extend his stay.

Thompson would be a great back up 8 though. Have always been impressed by him whenever I’ve seen him play.
Hot_Charlie
Super User
Super User

Post by Hot_Charlie »

RagingBull wrote: Mon Dec 04, 2017 11:25 am
Hot_Charlie wrote: Mon Dec 04, 2017 11:09 am
Which Smith?
Kwagga
That's a relief. I know he's still going but George is a bit old!
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

I think we should keep Barrow and Wells but releasing Kitchener and Fitzgerald should free up some cap to get us a quality lock like Kruis, Lawes, Green etc
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
Hot_Charlie
Super User
Super User

Post by Hot_Charlie »

JP14 wrote: Mon Dec 04, 2017 3:26 pm I think we should keep Barrow and Wells but releasing Kitchener and Fitzgerald should free up some cap to get us a quality lock like Kruis, Lawes, Green etc
Barrow, Fitz, Wells and A N Other. Another needs to be good, preferably a SH international after a pay rise and not missing for half the autumn or 6 Nations.
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

Hot_Charlie wrote: Mon Dec 04, 2017 3:36 pm
JP14 wrote: Mon Dec 04, 2017 3:26 pm I think we should keep Barrow and Wells but releasing Kitchener and Fitzgerald should free up some cap to get us a quality lock like Kruis, Lawes, Green etc
Barrow, Fitz, Wells and A N Other. Another needs to be good, preferably a SH international after a pay rise and not missing for half the autumn or 6 Nations.
That’s why I said Green but a good option from the SH would be Scott Barrett maybe?
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
Scott11
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Scott11 »

Zero chance of SB,pipe dream. Should be breaking the bank for Mostert.
FrontRowUnionMember
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by FrontRowUnionMember »

Areas to address...
Prop, we need better backups than Traynor & Baumann from what I've seen so far. Also, can we afford to continue to carry Mulipola and Cilliers given their repeated injury issues. We need another Bateman type signing, just delivers, minimum fuss, wherever picked. Could the Argentina prop be the answer, we'll see, but TH behind Cole looks a worry.

Hooker, maybe room for another player to back up if both Thacker & Mcguigan go, although should we place faith in the upcoming Kerr and/or Mahoney to step in behind TY & TPN?

Lock, can see the need for a refresh here. Someone to come in and add some real physical presence around the park.

Back row, not sure this needs changing too much, maybe Mafi to replace Croft, but open for debate. Not convinced by talk of Thompson. Haven't seen enough of Ryan yet either. Hamilton, Williams, O'Connor, Evans, Kalamafoni and Mapapalangi is a good pool.

9 & 10, happy to go with White & Simmons in behind BY and SH. Room for another 10, maybe.

Centre, maybe some mileage in someone like Mills from Worcester, who could cover 10 and 12, like Toomua. Just need to add some extra firepower in midfield, be that either a playmaking option to pick the lock, or some sheer horsepower to just smash the door down, something to open up a defence, not sure Smith & Tait are capable of doing either role anymore.

Back 3, fairly happy here, Malouf and now Holmes are showing as good acquisitions. Hopefully Pakalani will too once settled.
Scott11
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Scott11 »

Id like to see Malouf blooded at 13.
Leicestertinytiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Leicestertinytiger »

Agree with the above, definitely need a backup 10/12 player who can slot in when needed. Mills would be the top of my list, always impresses when I’ve seen him play.

Feel like I wouldn’t be too bothered if O’Connor and Fitzgerald leave. Feel they are surplus to requirement and no longer fit the gameplay Matt is trying to implement. Hangover players from Mauger sadly.
Hot_Charlie
Super User
Super User

Post by Hot_Charlie »

JP14 wrote: Mon Dec 04, 2017 3:46 pm
That’s why I said Green but a good option from the SH would be Scott Barrett maybe?
Green is playing very well, but do we want to sign another "very good" (probably A-International) level player and hope we can develop them - just like Barrow, Kitch, Slater etc - or do we put a decent sum into top level international experience in a position where it is lacking?
voice of the crumbie
Super User
Super User

Post by voice of the crumbie »

Hot_Charlie wrote: Mon Dec 04, 2017 8:39 pm
JP14 wrote: Mon Dec 04, 2017 3:46 pm

Green is playing very well, but do we want to sign another "very good" (probably A-International) level player and hope we can develop them - just like Barrow, Kitch, Slater etc - or do we put a decent sum into top level international experience in a position where it is lacking?
If we are sincere in our aspirations to win things we need at least one international quality lock. Preferably one who is not away for sizeable chunks of the season. A proven international with a few good seasons left in them rather than someone looking for one last contract before retiring would be ideal. Not sure who's out there who fits the bill though.
Tigers for the premiership and European Cup. Get behind the team and make some noise!!
POSTIGER
Super User
Super User

Post by POSTIGER »

I agree with the general consensus, our second row is easily the weakest department within the team and IMHO is one of the weakest in the league. We need the big boys to be bullies and to dominate physically but all too often we're second best and it's costing us dearly in games. Let's be honest, the quality of the lineout has become a bit of a lottery.

My honest opinion is that we can forget competing at the top end until we've recruited at least two top class locks and I mean top class not another project or journeyman that may or may not (probably won't) work out.

The brutal reality is that Kitch in particular doesn't look like filling his potential. As others have said, has he ever really dominated a game? I think Barrow could be top draw but he needs a high class lock alongside him to learn from.
I saw Marika Vunibaka play
voice of the crumbie
Super User
Super User

Post by voice of the crumbie »

POSTIGER wrote: Mon Dec 04, 2017 9:53 pm I agree with the general consensus, our second row is easily the weakest department within the team and IMHO is one of the weakest in the league. We need the big boys to be bullies and to dominate physically but all too often we're second best and it's costing us dearly in games. Let's be honest, the quality of the lineout has become a bit of a lottery.

My honest opinion is that we can forget competing at the top end until we've recruited at least two top class locks and I mean top class not another project or journeyman that may or may not (probably won't) work out.

The brutal reality is that Kitch in particular doesn't look like filling his potential. As others have said, has he ever really dominated a game? I think Barrow could be top draw but he needs a high class lock alongside him to learn from.
Agree with your comment re Barrow. I believe he "could" develop into a Louis Deacon type of player. An ideal partner would therefore be a Ben Kay, Fritz van Heerden, Geoff Parling type of player.
Tigers for the premiership and European Cup. Get behind the team and make some noise!!