LEICESTER TIGERS 2017/18 SQUAD/TRANSFERS/CONTRACT THREAD PART 2!!

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Re: LEICESTER TIGERS 2017/18 SQUAD/TRANSFERS/CONTRACT THREAD PART 2!!

Post by RagingBull »

Stephen18 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2017 9:59 am
Cagey Tiger wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2017 9:43 am [quote=Tigerbeat post_id=678628 time=<a href="tel:1512294008">1512294008</a> user_id=6138]
I believe that Nau is signed for a couple of seasons.
I'm sure I heard two and a half - the remainder of this season (when he arrives) and the next two full seasons.

So that’s your 1st and 2nd choice why would socino come as a 3rd choice, you’d think Bateman might even be 3rd choice.
Maybe he thinks Tigers ambition suits him?
I mean Nau and Youngs are both in their 30's so the 3rd choice hooker must fancy there chances of getting into the 23.

Would not be happy to see Bateman at 2, he looks so much better at 1 or 3.
trendylfj
Super User
Super User

Post by trendylfj »

I play rugby manager on F/B and have always recruited based on the principle of improving the areas I am weak in and would hope that the same principle would apply in real life. We have many options in the back row (Evans, Hamilton, Kalamafoni, Mapapalangi, O'Connor, Ryan, Williams) 7 players for 4 positions (3 + bench) when they are all fit. We would only need 2 injuries and Hamilton on international duty and we are down to the bare bones. I know we have Reffell, Lewis and Tuilagi in the development squad but don't think they are ready to step up yet. Therefore Thomson would make sense to me - has a good go forward and would provide some more competition for a starting place. I do not know who is likely to leave us from the back row group yet but would suspect one may have indicated he is on the way out - no info or rumours heard, just my intuition and thoughts. Peter O'Mahony is in a totally different league and I would have him straight away but think that may be pie in the sky, but, if we are after another hooker and "the English club he is talking to is after a club captain" it may not be as far fetched as I think given Tom's personal problems

Whether another back row is more important than another centre or lock is a different argument and probably one I would disagree.
Hehehehehehehehe
voice of the crumbie
Super User
Super User

Post by voice of the crumbie »

trendylfj wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2017 10:38 am I play rugby manager on F/B and have always recruited based on the principle of improving the areas I am weak in and would hope that the same principle would apply in real life. We have many options in the back row (Evans, Hamilton, Kalamafoni, Mapapalangi, O'Connor, Ryan, Williams) 7 players for 4 positions (3 + bench) when they are all fit. We would only need 2 injuries and Hamilton on international duty and we are down to the bare bones. I know we have Reffell, Lewis and Tuilagi in the development squad but don't think they are ready to step up yet. Therefore Thomson would make sense to me - has a good go forward and would provide some more competition for a starting place. I do not know who is likely to leave us from the back row group yet but would suspect one may have indicated he is on the way out - no info or rumours heard, just my intuition and thoughts. Peter O'Mahony is in a totally different league and I would have him straight away but think that may be pie in the sky, but, if we are after another hooker and "the English club he is talking to is after a club captain" it may not be as far fetched as I think given Tom's personal problems

Whether another back row is more important than another centre or lock is a different argument and probably one I would disagree.
Don't forget that Fitzgerald and Wells can also play back row and if Mafi comes he is another lock/back row option.
Tigers for the premiership and European Cup. Get behind the team and make some noise!!
sapajo
Super User
Super User

Post by sapajo »

Tigers have an obsession with signing players who struggle due to previous injury issues to play regular 1st XV rugby and those that are well past beyond their sale by date. Just hope we have not paid through the nose for them.
Without hope we are nothing, keep the faith, a Tiger for eternity
Leicestertinytiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Leicestertinytiger »

If Tigers sign Mafi and Ryan comes back to fitness we have more than enough options at backrow. Don’t need anyone else
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

Depends on if you think are back row options are good enough in general.
Personally I think Thompson would be an upgrade on Ryan or O'Connor.
I mean i wouldn't be upset to see Fitzgerald, Kitchener, Ryan and O'Connor going (along with the already retired Croft).
Cohen, Glynn and MOC have prob got to make some tough calls.
IMO Mahoney, Betts, Simmons, White, Hardwick, Worth and Olowofela deserve a senior contract and should free up some cap if they replace some of the current squad fringe players.
Leicestertinytiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Leicestertinytiger »

Ryan I think will prove a lot of people wrong when he returns from injury. Can jump in the line out, play blindside or opensides and is massive in defence.

O’Connor on the other hand I wouldn’t be that bothered if he left. We have Evans coming through and O’Connor has never reached the heights that was expected of him. Before he joined people were touting him for international duty with England. That quickly went away when we actually saw him play in the premiership every week.

Think our best backrow currently would be:

6. Mapapalangi
7. Hamilton
8. Kalamafoni

If Mafi does join would be interesting if it was at flanker or lock.
trendylfj
Super User
Super User

Post by trendylfj »

Steve Mafi news seems to have gone quiet at present but he would be a good signing as he is only 28 and Thomson is 30, but I would welcome either if O'Mahony is pie in the sky.
Hehehehehehehehe
Stephen18
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by Stephen18 »

trendylfj wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2017 2:19 pm Steve Mafi news seems to have gone quiet at present but he would be a good signing as he is only 28 and Thomson is 30, but I would welcome either if O'Mahony is pie in the sky.
O’mahony is pie in the sky he’s been link with sarries or a move to France, or he possibly just angling for a better deal off the iru. I’ve not seen him linked with us anywhere.
Scott11
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Scott11 »

POM hasnt been linked with us,only the club looking for a captain remark which we are,desperately!
LE18
Super User
Super User

Post by LE18 »

I'm not sure about Mafi, he always looked lazy to me, he left under a cloud I think and with Kalamafoni and Mapalangi playing well, I don't think we need him, he didn't stand out in his recent game against us!
Scott11
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Scott11 »

Well we need something done in the second row,Kitchener has never bossed a game like a Launchbury,Kruis,Itoje,Lawes etc in his whole career and at times is a donkey,Barrow is an overated penalty magnet and Fitzy is a better 6.
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

They can’t make their mines up as to whether Thacker or McGuigan is leaving, Socino burst onto the scene for Falcons against Bath with fancy footwork but has dimmed somewhat in my opinion
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
JackFlashJonny
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by JackFlashJonny »

It is clear as day what we need going forward...our second row options are well below most in the premiership nevermind europe and at centre we have had poor depth for years now...if we had a decent second row and better centre cover for our often injured stars then we would be a real force...where Tigers spend all their money god only knows

When you look at what other teams seem to get for their money in the back row or second row it seems very strange how we are so lacking of top quality in comparison :smt017
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

I'm actually quite happy with our back row on the whole.
Mapapalangi and Kalamafoni as a double act really does work IMO, Kalamafoni has really upped his carrying game, he isn't a wide arcing runner (Like the wasps 8 when he scored that great try) but he has started to make ground with his carries and was drawing in alot of defenders and Tino's ability to offload in traffic has been excellent.

7 i'm a bit unsure of I like Evans but if we where able to sign a hard running 7 (Like Thompson or at a bigger price Smith) i think the balance would be complete.
Locks is a different matter without Barrow we miss out on alot of tackle work.