LEICESTER TIGERS 2017/18 SQUAD/TRANSFERS/CONTRACT THREAD PART 2!!

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

JackFlashJonny
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: LEICESTER TIGERS 2017/18 SQUAD/TRANSFERS/CONTRACT THREAD PART 2!!

Post by JackFlashJonny »

trendylfj wrote: Tue Oct 24, 2017 8:40 am With Zebo reputedly being offered €700,000 by Racing (http://www.newsnow.co.uk/h/Sport/Rugby+Union - £650,000), what are we going to have to offer Veainu in order to get him to sign another contract before the end of the season????????
That is madness...Zebo isn't worth much more than half of that imo :smt017

Any news on Toomua yet?
Dr H Flashman MBE
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Dr H Flashman MBE »

I am not a massive zebo fan to be honest and he is not worth that much in a million month of Sundays. However, fair play to him for securing his and his family's future. Take away our, as fans passion and love of our team, it's just a job to the players. They need to get paid to pay the mortgage like the rest of us. I am not saying the players don't care or love the club as I would imagine they do, but when it comes to looking after your family that comes first and rightly so. If TV has some time left on his contract I suggest we make him a marquee player. If that is possible. The issue is someone from France popping up with the Zebo size offer. Money talks and it's a short career. I think it's been said before but the days of one club players is drawing to a close. Shame but true.
There is never any points for 2nd place...
fortysix
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by fortysix »

Zebo has lost whatever out and out pace he once had
Witness him not catching someone in the EC 1st round....
if he is worth 700K, then TV and JM are worth twice that--------------at the very least.....
Dr H Flashman MBE
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Dr H Flashman MBE »

And that 46 is rubbish news! Over inflated market doesn't help us, only the rich kids.
There is never any points for 2nd place...
JackFlashJonny
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by JackFlashJonny »

Dr H Flashman MBE wrote: Tue Oct 24, 2017 10:21 am I am not a massive zebo fan to be honest and he is not worth that much in a million month of Sundays. However, fair play to him for securing his and his family's future. Take away our, as fans passion and love of our team, it's just a job to the players. They need to get paid to pay the mortgage like the rest of us. I am not saying the players don't care or love the club as I would imagine they do, but when it comes to looking after your family that comes first and rightly so. If TV has some time left on his contract I suggest we make him a marquee player. If that is possible. The issue is someone from France popping up with the Zebo size offer. Money talks and it's a short career. I think it's been said before but the days of one club players is drawing to a close. Shame but true.
Unless you are in a winning culture like Saracens for example then that is much harder to leave...players want to earn good money but they also want to win trophies

Unfortunately we struggle to provide that winning culture and that coupled with the fact Leicester is not a chosen destination of many (see Slater's comments on the Rugby Pod) means it will always be hard for us to attract the best players imo
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

trendylfj wrote: Tue Oct 24, 2017 8:40 am With Zebo reputedly being offered €700,000 by Racing (http://www.newsnow.co.uk/h/Sport/Rugby+Union - £650,000), what are we going to have to offer Veainu in order to get him to sign another contract before the end of the season????????
Who's to say Veainu isn't already signed up?
jgriffin
Super User
Super User

Post by jgriffin »

I'd contend that Tiger's is rapidly becoming a magnet for talent again, remind me how many internationals we now have with Luke the latest? We have one that hasnt actually played yet!
Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95
A game played on grass in the open air by teams of XV.
Stu_F
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Stu_F »

jgriffin wrote: Tue Oct 24, 2017 2:40 pm I'd contend that Tiger's is rapidly becoming a magnet for talent again, remind me how many internationals we now have with Luke the latest? We have one that hasnt actually played yet!
& another who's only played for a couple of minutes!
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

jgriffin wrote: Tue Oct 24, 2017 2:40 pm I'd contend that Tiger's is rapidly becoming a magnet for talent again, remind me how many internationals we now have with Luke the latest? We have one that hasnt actually played yet!
For England current internationals are :Genge, Youngs, Ford, May and Cole
For Tonga: Pakalani, Veainu, Mapapalangi & Kalamafoni
Luke is now called up to Scotland, Will Evans is on Eddie Jones radar, Toomua must be being missed by Australia. We also have Tom Youngs and Mat Tait who’s international careers are unfortunately over. George McGuigan (who is also a Saxon) and Kitch have both played for England XV against the Baabaas

Please add if I have missed any
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
voice of the crumbie
Super User
Super User

Post by voice of the crumbie »

JP14 wrote: Tue Oct 24, 2017 5:59 pm
For England current internationals are :Genge, Youngs, Ford, May and Cole
For Tonga: Pakalani, Veainu, Mapapalangi & Kalamafoni
Luke is now called up to Scotland, Will Evans is on Eddie Jones radar, Toomua must be being missed by Australia. We also have Tom Youngs and Mat Tait who’s international careers are unfortunately over. George McGuigan (who is also a Saxon) and Kitch have both played for England XV against the Baabaas

Please add if I have missed any
Also the following have been capped for their respective countries: Pat Cilliers, Kyle Traynor, Dominic Ryan, Logo, Michele Rizzo, Chris Baumann, Dan Touhy. Plus we have Manu to come back and a former Lion in Tom Croft. Mike Williams, before he got injured, was also on EJ's radar. Not bad when you add these to the list above.
Tigers for the premiership and European Cup. Get behind the team and make some noise!!
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

Thank you Crumbie
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

Wasn't Barrow on the radar for EJ, I know he was England captain at U20s
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

Rugby paper linking Steve Mafi to return to us and Tatafu Polota-Nau is expected to sign for us soon.
trendylfj
Super User
Super User

Post by trendylfj »

RagingBull wrote: Sun Oct 29, 2017 7:41 am Rugby paper linking Steve Mafi to return to us and Tatafu Polota-Nau is expected to sign for us soon.
can totally understand TPN and would welcome it but not sure about Steve coming back - we shall see
Hehehehehehehehe
Mark62
Super User
Super User

Post by Mark62 »

Steve Mafi returning possibly just the connection following the Castres game and our growing Tongan contingent.

TPN would be great but not sure how we would cope with losing Mcguigan and Thacker