Tackle in the air

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

GETHIN EXILE

Tackle in the air

Post by GETHIN EXILE »

Ok this is to start a discussion as it seems that any contact with a man who jumps into the air to catch a ball is leading to at least a penalty unless both players are in the air competing for the ball. I suggest that we outlaw jumping into the air to field high kicks so that the only question becomes had the payer caught the ball before he was tackled. How do others feel about this?
Mark62
Super User
Super User

Re: Tackle in the air

Post by Mark62 »

GETHIN EXILE wrote: Sat Sep 30, 2017 7:25 pm Ok this is to start a discussion as it seems that any contact with a man who jumps into the air to catch a ball is leading to at least a penalty unless both players are in the air competing for the ball. I suggest that we outlaw jumping into the air to field high kicks so that the only question becomes had the payer caught the ball before he was tackled. How do others feel about this?
Disagree totally you either time your run to compete or hold back and hit the man on or near landing. Malouf got in wrong and as Austin points out he is still rough on his positional play but tackling and finishing really good.
The one thing that does annoy me is when players are penalised, it didn't happen today, for tackling a player who has jumped to catch a high pass.
LittleBigG

Post by LittleBigG »

You should definitely be allowed to jump as should be a competition for the best skill/technique/athleticism rather than being taller than the other person.

Malouf definitely hashed that up and echoing what Mark62 said, it is probably down to his lack of experience in 15s still.

The only thing I would change would be that it should be an automatic yellow if you do not compete and take the man out - we should be punishing by "intent", not "outcome" (and when I say intent, I don't mean "I'm setting out to break his neck"...) as most of the time it is by utter chance (or, ironically the victim preventing their head hitting the floor first!) that the player lands as they do.

So, from what I've said above, I think Malouf should have got a yellow, but to the letter of the current law it was penalty only.
Big Dai
Super User
Super User

Post by Big Dai »

As I recall this all started because the full back (or the poor unfortunate under the high ball....the one I used to yell "Yours" at) got twonked as he tried to make a mark. To avoid being twonked he leapt into the air but he could not make a mark from that lofty position, so they made the mark in the air legal. Problem now is that the obvious defence against poor positioning and misjudgement is to leap into the air drawing the foul from the person trying to tackle you. The higher you jump, the bigger the fall and with a bit of luck you can get one of their blokes, especially a forward who is big and has no brakes, sent off.

Get the game back on the ground. The mark then should be just that. A fair catch with a mark made. If you, as an attacker, can hold off whilst an opponent regains his feet when the ball is on the deck (May and Woodburn yesterday) then surely similar laws can be applied to the aerial threat. We'll have people deliberately leaping into tackles next just to draw a penalty.

I've had enough of the "Spectacular" and "Athleticism" in the game. It's making things more dangerous. Same as lifting in the line out. :censored: stupid practice. Ever fallen off a ladder? Much better when the winger threw in and a fight broke out.
Exile Wigstonite living in Wales.
Poet laureate of the "One Eyed Turk".
Bar stool philosopher in the "Wilted Daffodil"
Scott11
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Scott11 »

Disagree totally! Watching Dan Biggar chasing his own kicks is amazing at times as is watching arguably the world's best defender under the high ball Mike Brown. All that needs to happen is the law to be amended so that the ref can decide the punishment with common sense!
Big Dai
Super User
Super User

Post by Big Dai »

I'm glad you disagree. Confirms my belief that we are concentrating on the spectacle rather than the skill. Possibly why we have blatant offsides and forward passes missed by refs in the interests of keeping the game flowing.
You can still chase your own kick, and if the full back challenging you can't jump at you to draw the foul, a la North, then maybe you've a better chance of retrieving the same?
There's much talk about the hazards in the game at all levels (pardon the pun) keeping the game on the deck de-risks it and brings a different set of skills, just as watchable, into play.
Mark62
Super User
Super User

Post by Mark62 »

All started by a certain G Murphy esq. if memory serves
Scott11
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Scott11 »

So it's just a spectacle and not a skill? It's very much a skill,it would be a sad day if it's ever outlawed! The law just needs amending that's all.
Big Dai
Super User
Super User

Post by Big Dai »

I'm not denying the skill in leaping, either to gain a ball or to put yourself in a position where the slightest touch will draw a penalty or more serious sanction for opponents. The higher the leap the more spectacular it is for the spectator. Plus the more spectacular the injury when it all goes wrong.
I would prefer a fairer set of laws that de-risks the game whilst keeping skill. All be it a different set.
Scott11
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Scott11 »

I hear ya but disagree,no contesting restarts,no crossfield kicks,no kick chase,not for me mate!
Big Dai
Super User
Super User

Post by Big Dai »

Scott11 wrote: Sun Oct 01, 2017 12:20 pm I hear ya but disagree,no contesting restarts,no crossfield kicks,no kick chase,not for me mate!
Did I say that?? No. Contest the restart, but don't have the second row hoisted and extra six feet in the air. Where did no cross field kick come from? The kick chase is still there I'm just trying to stop the jumping into a challenge.
BengalTiger

Post by BengalTiger »

Most are missing the point, why is the player jumping in the first place, they are putting themselves in danger by doing so and the law rewards them for this recklessness!
Assuming the player is positioned to catch, he should get the ball if their nerve holds, we all used to applaud the bravery of the full back catching the ball in the face of onrushing opposition, this has disappeared in the game, replaced by players leaping with knees raised to face height of anyone foolish enough to come close!e
I think any player putting themselves and other into serious danger should be a penalty offence, that should be the starting point.
Big Dai
Super User
Super User

Post by Big Dai »

BengalTiger wrote: Sun Oct 01, 2017 4:38 pm Most are missing the point, why is the player jumping in the first place, they are putting themselves in danger by doing so and the law rewards them for this recklessness!
Assuming the player is positioned to catch, he should get the ball if their nerve holds, we all used to applaud the bravery of the full back catching the ball in the face of onrushing opposition, this has disappeared in the game, replaced by players leaping with knees raised to face height of anyone foolish enough to come close!e
I think any player putting themselves and other into serious danger should be a penalty offence, that should be the starting point.
Kind of where I'm coming from. The jump isn't just putting the guy in danger though.........It's almost cheating....seeking to gain an advantage as well as being dangerous. (North at our place last season)
Mark62
Super User
Super User

Post by Mark62 »

The game moves on gents, there is nothing wrong with jumping for the ball, the danger comes from the challenger not jumping or not jumping to challenge. We are talking about 1 incident in a game of 80 minutes that was caused by another players inexperince.
There were no other incidents as such that I'm aware of this weekend
BengalTiger

Post by BengalTiger »

It is a bit of a nonsense to me, I recall Alesana Tuilagi was cited and banned for raising his knee while being tackled during the word cup as it was judged dangerous, but a player jumping full tilt with a raised forward knee is given a penalty if he contacts one of the opposition! explain that in a rational world!
It is gaining an unfair advantage through a dangerous tactic so should be discouraged.
Malouf to the letter of the law should have been carded but was saved by the partially sighted man with the whistle with his inconsistent incompetence, but that is another thread!