Tigers v Chiefs

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Will S
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Tigers v Chiefs

Post by Will S »

I certainly don't think Exeter played badly against us. They did what they normally do in that they kept recycling the ball to slowly break teams down. Difference was that our defence stepped up several gears. We defended their rolling maul well and in open play we were regularly winning the contact. There weren't many times where we looked stretched. It does help knowing that we have absolute pace on both wings and at 15 as this means we can be a bit tighter. We were a bit like Saracens in that we looked comfortable without the ball which is something we haven't been for a while.
Roly
Super User
Super User

Post by Roly »

BFG wrote: Mon Oct 02, 2017 11:36 am
Roly wrote: Mon Oct 02, 2017 10:28 am
Doghashadhisday wrote: Mon Oct 02, 2017 10:01 am

John after all these years you should know that when we lose there are some quick to criticise but when we win, its because the opposition are under par or find something else to moan about. Praise through gritted teeth :smt003
So Chiefs were on top form yesterday were they? That's the best you've seen them play this season is it?

If not, then they were below par by definition, and that is worthy of comment.

Credit has been given by most (including me) where it is due.
Surprisingly Roly, given the level of intelligence you can often post with (meant as a compliment by the way) you are missing the entire point, which is the Tigers didn't allow the Chiefs to play!
I didn't miss the point, even in victory, Tigers have much to work on - and, Chiefs did not play to their full potential. To not recognise this would be disingenuous.
“It is no use saying, ‘We are doing our best.’ You have got to succeed in doing what is necessary.” Sir Winston Churchill.
h's dad
Super User
Super User

Post by h's dad »

Roly wrote: Mon Oct 02, 2017 10:28 am So Chiefs were on top form yesterday were they? That's the best you've seen them play this season is it?

Not like you Roly. There is a gulf between top form and below par so being one is certainly not the definition of the other.
I am neither clever enough to understand nor stupid enough to play this game
Roly
Super User
Super User

Post by Roly »

h's dad wrote: Mon Oct 02, 2017 11:51 am
Roly wrote: Mon Oct 02, 2017 10:28 am So Chiefs were on top form yesterday were they? That's the best you've seen them play this season is it?

Not like you Roly. There is a gulf between top form and below par so being one is certainly not the definition of the other.
I actually thought Chiefs were quite negative yesterday - almost as though they eyes elsewhere.
“It is no use saying, ‘We are doing our best.’ You have got to succeed in doing what is necessary.” Sir Winston Churchill.
voice of the crumbie
Super User
Super User

Post by voice of the crumbie »

Will S wrote: Mon Oct 02, 2017 11:40 am I certainly don't think Exeter played badly against us. They did what they normally do in that they kept recycling the ball to slowly break teams down. Difference was that our defence stepped up several gears. We defended their rolling maul well and in open play we were regularly winning the contact. There weren't many times where we looked stretched. It does help knowing that we have absolute pace on both wings and at 15 as this means we can be a bit tighter. We were a bit like Saracens in that we looked comfortable without the ball which is something we haven't been for a while.
Spot on, Will S! A good analysis of what happened in the game.

A team can have all the territory and possession but if the opposition successfully negate what they are trying to do and are then capable of hitting back at the critical moments (our 2 tries and Ford's drop goal being cases in point) results like Saturday happen. The comparison with Saracens is apposite and just goes to show that the defence wins matches and the attack decides by how many. One thing that really impressed was the way Tigers often defended a lot further up the field (evident in the last 10 minutes against Quins also) rather than sitting back and letting the opposition run forward. I also thought our kick chase was better and the territorial kicking for the corners in the 2nd half was an excellent tactic in that it both pinned Exeter back allowing us to exert more pressure and also allowed our players some respite in what was an intense physical effort. More of the same please Tigers!
Tigers for the premiership and European Cup. Get behind the team and make some noise!!
BFG
Super User
Super User

Post by BFG »

Roly wrote: Mon Oct 02, 2017 11:50 am

So Chiefs were on top form yesterday were they? That's the best you've seen them play this season is it?

Surprisingly Roly, given the level of intelligence you can often post with (meant as a compliment by the way) you are missing the entire point, which is the Tigers didn't allow the Chiefs to play!
I didn't miss the point, even in victory, Tigers have much to work on - and, Chiefs did not play to their full potential. To not recognise this would be disingenuous.
So by definition the Chiefs also have much to work on!
Neither will be fully satisfied and there is no such thing as the perfect performance, apart from maybe the odd All Black performance if you can find it, but the Tigers won and for now that's all that really matters!
That's the important point here, the Chiefs didn't lose it as much as the Tigers won it, they came to play and started strong but the Tigers stopped them!
ourla
Super User
Super User

Post by ourla »

I think there is a bit of overanalysis going on here.

As I pointed out a couple of weeks ago our forward pack is pretty much the one that got us to within a whisker of making the final last year. All that's really happened is that they have collectively got it back together, have more energy, are working harder, have sorted out the line out, etc. Add to that we finally have a recognised 8 and have stuck with him.

Exeter like to go through the phases, are patient, have a great line out. Our forwards just countered that. And our backline is always going to get better off the back of that.

Was great to hear Bateman saying afterwards that the players and coached won't be happy until a Premiership or ERC trophy is brought back to Welford Road. Any concern that the expectations had been dropped was firmly put in place.
Stephen18
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by Stephen18 »

Like a few on here I've been quite negitive this season, but there are signs that we're turning the corner, no we may not be playing the best rugby but looks at the league nobody is dominating this season, but our defence has much improved as it did last year when Brett stepped up, certainly out 5yard defence has been better than I've seen it in a few years. I know there are a lot of call of an experienced forwards coach and I don't disagree but I think Brett has got to be in there in some capacity and I'm sure boris is stepping up aswell.
As for player there are a number holding there hand up tamooa, showing not only how much more time it gives George if you have a 2nd play maker but also that there is life in our centres without manu, just hope he doesn't have his eye on an Aussie centre place heading into 2019, I think we have to retain him at all costs. Also George himself and with his defence has been a constant target and stop most everything coming at him, I credit him with shutting sladenout the game this week who's been tearing teams apart. Also in the forwards wells, Hamilton, kalafoni and Bateman all putting it big shifts, looking forward to this weekend hopeing we keep build looking for a 5 pointer but would like to see some rotation of player with the champs cup coming up. Rest cole, ben youngs, may vieanu. start mcguian, mapalangi, Harrison, worth and thomo if fit hopefully there's a place for will evens on the bench aswell.
Tigerbeat

Post by Tigerbeat »

The first five rounds have set a new try-scoring record for Premiership Rugby with 174, eclipsing the previous record for 170 tries in the first five rounds in 1998-99

Some of the highlights from the OPTA Rugby Rankings include:

• Most Tackles - Sione Kalamafoni (80)
• Most Metres Made - Telusa Veainu (501)
• Most Line Outs Won - Don Armand (29)
• Most Turn Overs - Maro Itoje (7)
• Most Clean Breaks - Tom Collins (15)
SUPPORT THE MATT HAMPSON TRUST
www.matthampson.co.uk
Chobbsy
Super User
Super User

Post by Chobbsy »

Roly wrote: Mon Oct 02, 2017 11:50 am

I totally agree it was without doubt a fantastic win, but there is a lot still to be improved on, but we are playing like we want to play for the team which is a huge step forward
God created rugby so footballers have heros too
Will S
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Will S »

Chobbsy wrote: Mon Oct 02, 2017 2:13 pm
I totally agree it was without doubt a fantastic win, but there is a lot still to be improved on, but we are playing like we want to play for the team which is a huge step forward
This is the big thing for me ..... the players are coming across more committed and determined. When we were stuck defending our try line previously it looked more like they were just trying to postpone the inevitable. Now it is much more Gandalf .... "You shall not pass!!". Sometimes we were defending their 22 line like it was our try line. Love that never give them an easy inch attitude and hope it stays.
strawclearer
Super User
Super User

Post by strawclearer »

The two biggest positives for me are the week-on-week improvement from Kalamafoni (8) and the fact that, for the first time since we lost Anthony Allen, we have a mid-field general in Matt Toomua (12). Both crucial positions.
Happy days clearing straw from the pitch before the Baa-Baas games! KBO
Wear a Mask>Protect The NHS>Save Lives
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

Harry Wells standing up is my biggest positive considering our lock options are looking bare the fact that he put in a shift like that makes me alot more comfortable.
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

BFG wrote: Mon Oct 02, 2017 7:35 am
sam16111986 wrote: Sun Oct 01, 2017 2:32 pm
Beechtrees wrote: Sun Oct 01, 2017 10:16 am It was a brilliant win against the champions built on massive defence. Barrow was the top tackler with 19. The more breakdowns you are involved in the more chance of being penalised. He had two penalties against him that were very harsh imho, the lineout and the high tackle. And as a senior player he's only 1 year older than 'young' Wells.
I'm pretty sure he got pinged for something else as well? Can't now remember what for.

Barrow tackles very well and his work rate is exceptional. He doesn't contribute over the ball and his handling is below average as seen by his knock on under little tackle pressure and the bungled lineout drop to Youngs. Those are simple things to fix and the coaches will be working on that with him. He concedes a lot less penalties than his first six months at Tigers, he is still a young player and he is still improving.

Wells makes a more noticeable impact at the breakdown because he has experience playing blindside in the Championship as well as second row. That is serving him well now he has got up to the speed of the AP game. I like how he has gone out and tried to better the Barrow aggression and physicality.

Given us some good options and I'm looking forward to seeing Kitch come back in and up his performances to match.
Sam when a workrate is so high and combative a player will undoubtedly give away a few more penalties but the positives outweigh the negatives.
Just by his very nature penalties will happen playing on the edge and the odd skill failure will occur during more fatigued moments.
There is little point in a squeaky clean perfectly viewed player if it has no bearing on the result and you lose!
I'm not bothered by his penalty count. As I said above he's done well to improve his discipline from when he signed. He just needs to fine tune some aspects of his play to hit that level where we know he can push for international recognition.

Not many locks compete for the ball at the breakdown. Being so tall it's not that easy to get into position in the narrow window of tme before the ruck is formed and it's hands out. One of the reasons I'm so impressed by Wells. Barrow would probably be best abandoning the contest for the ball and just looking to drive over the top, he's such a big lump he'll draw in at least two additional opposition players.
Greenwhiteandred
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Greenwhiteandred »

My twopence - excellent performance , since Saints we have improved game on game. Toomua definitely improves each game - let's hope there is more to come but he had a superb game on Saturday if he can improve further then what a signing he will end up being ...... The pack were very good and the breakdown work was much improved , agree with the comment that we are defending much further up the Park. Heard a couple of people on the terrace mention/praise 'the dog' - there was much 'dog' on Saturday and along with a sparkling back line you need 'dog' to win stuff. Jonny May is one hell of a finisher , TV's penalty try was harsh and the ref was below average - anyone notice half way through the 2nd half that he was playing advantage to Exeter for a penalty mid way between the 22 and 10 metre line on the Caterpiller stand side of the pitch and ended up giving a penalty to Exeter on the halfway line on the Terrace side of the pitch + Malouf was a yellow every day of the week (scratches head , shrugs shoulders but doesn't moan too much)