Marcus Smith

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Mark62
Super User
Super User

Marcus Smith

Post by Mark62 »

Just wondering what people thought about the young lad after yesterday's match?
Obviously a fantastic talent, but wondering if Eddie Jones has put him a bit more in the firing line by bigging him up so much. He was subject to some big legal hits and wonder if they had an effect on his leg muscle tightening up.
I know King Jonny of Toulon was a similar age but was much more solidly built if memory serves me correct
Scott11
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Marcus Smith

Post by Scott11 »

Dont see the attraction as regards to being an international 10,Cips and Burns are far superior but don't get a look in,thats Eddie for ya though. As long as we keep winning so be it.
BFG
Super User
Super User

Post by BFG »

It's only a training squad but his inclusion is a bit of a joke at this stage IMO.
I didn't think that much to be honest, he is obviously a decent young player like thousands of others but nothing spectacular.
Mark62
Super User
Super User

Post by Mark62 »

Scott11 wrote: Sun Sep 24, 2017 10:28 am Dont see the attraction as regards to being an international 10,Cips and Burns are far superior but don't get a look in,thats Eddie for ya though. As long as we keep winning so be it.
I think there is definitely something there, and for me his leaving the pitch was the turning point in the match
jamie1880

Post by jamie1880 »

Jones is thinking about the future, the fourth choice fly half in the squad won't exactly get game time so what's the point in Burns or Cips being in it. Get our future players in the environment from early and it'll reap rewards for the future. Eddie Jones did say all he'd be doing it carrying the tackle bags and cleaning their boots
BFG
Super User
Super User

Post by BFG »

Mark62 wrote: Sun Sep 24, 2017 11:04 am
Scott11 wrote: Sun Sep 24, 2017 10:28 am Dont see the attraction as regards to being an international 10,Cips and Burns are far superior but don't get a look in,thats Eddie for ya though. As long as we keep winning so be it.
I think there is definitely something there, and for me his leaving the pitch was the turning point in the match
The turning point in the match were the yellow cards IMO, Quins line had been a bit slow to react all match, losing a man opened up some space and Tigers scored 14 points during that period.
mol2
Super User
Super User

Post by mol2 »

Better to give talent a chance to prove itself whilst still young enough to develop rather than looking back at the likes of Cipriani who was never quite good enough a his best.

It is a training squad after all, not a World Cup final. As such places shouldn't be given to players who are on the way down and would only have a chance of selection if many injuries changed things. Select players you expect to feature either as first choices or likely replacements. Outside of that it would be more logical to use the opportunity to look at a few bright prospects and introduce them to the England squad -some will never make it but if you don't look you will never know.

Top level professional sport is about nurturing talent not about rewarding good eggs who have served their time.
BFG
Super User
Super User

Post by BFG »

mol2 wrote: Sun Sep 24, 2017 11:49 am
Better to give talent a chance to prove itself whilst still young enough to develop rather than looking back at the likes of Cipriani who was never quite good enough a his best.

It is a training squad after all, not a World Cup final. As such places shouldn't be given to players who are on the way down and would only have a chance of selection if many injuries changed things. Select players you expect to feature either as first choices or likely replacements. Outside of that it would be more logical to use the opportunity to look at a few bright prospects and introduce them to the England squad -some will never make it but if you don't look you will never know.

Top level professional sport is about nurturing talent not about rewarding good eggs who have served their time.
So you don't think being in the same Twickenham postcode has played a part here!
Remind me how many Quins are involved, and Falcons, and Chiefs etc!
I read a piece from Jones on selections challenging the establishment, well IMO he fell right into it on this one!
He is looking for the next Milner-Skudder to come from nowhere and win the World Cup so he picks a load of 10's when we already have our 10's sorted for 2019, strange, and his biggest mistake to date IMO!
He needs to keep his pack developing, if he loses those Sarries he will be in trouble, Sam Simmonds and a couple of physical Falcons would've been better selected IMO!
Mark62
Super User
Super User

Post by Mark62 »

Excellent point regarding Sam Simmonds. With Billy V likely crocked, I'm not convinced by Hughes at test match level, would be nice to look at Simmonds o seems to have it all. Head to head for them this afternoon
L Smith
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by L Smith »

Mark62 wrote: Sun Sep 24, 2017 11:04 am
I think Robshaw's departure was more telling
I refuse to have a battle of wits with an unarmed man
BFG
Super User
Super User

Post by BFG »

Mark62 wrote: Sun Sep 24, 2017 12:16 pm Excellent point regarding Sam Simmonds. With Billy V likely crocked, I'm not convinced by Hughes at test match level, would be nice to look at Simmonds o seems to have it all. Head to head for them this afternoon
Yes I just would not have thought that 10 was such a problem position to require so many in one training squad, the forwards is where it should be at IMO!
Lose Kruis and Lawes and where next that we haven't already been, lose Itoje and Billy V and it's real trouble.
Also life after 2019 needs more consideration up front than the backs IMO.
Anyway Yarde over Roko says it all!
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

BFG wrote: Sun Sep 24, 2017 12:02 pm
mol2 wrote: Sun Sep 24, 2017 11:49 am

So you don't think being in the same Twickenham postcode has played a part here!
Remind me how many Quins are involved, and Falcons, and Chiefs etc!
I read a piece from Jones on selections challenging the establishment, well IMO he fell right into it on this one!
He is looking for the next Milner-Skudder to come from nowhere and win the World Cup so he picks a load of 10's when we already have our 10's sorted for 2019, strange, and his biggest mistake to date IMO!
He needs to keep his pack developing, if he loses those Sarries he will be in trouble, Sam Simmonds and a couple of physical Falcons would've been better selected IMO!
2019 is a long way away. What happens if Ford does his ACL? Farrell at 10? That would limit our backline. Ford is a hit and miss goal kicker so if Farrell is injured is Slade or Francis good enough to play 12 and kick?

It's all about options. Smith is already an impressive young player and by selecting him for the wider training squad Eddie gets him working with the coaches and squad so Smith knows the expectations, culture and systems. If he's ready for duty in a year or so time then he can come in and slot in.

Eddie has had a whole range of different players in the training squads. He's got a range of options and a lot of them he's had at one time or another in training and all are in contact with his coaches and S&C team.
mol2
Super User
Super User

Post by mol2 »

Not disputing the London centric selections but still rather see a youngster getting looked at rather than an older player who never really was.
BarmyBamford

Post by BarmyBamford »

Anyone else think he may be Kim Jong Uns love child - look at the hair. If I were tech savvy I'd put in a link to photo's but with only 2/3 of a Computer degree from 77 - 80 that is beyond me.
TigerCam
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerCam »

Mark62 wrote: Sun Sep 24, 2017 10:20 am Just wondering what people thought about the young lad after yesterday's match?
Obviously a fantastic talent, but wondering if Eddie Jones has put him a bit more in the firing line by bigging him up so much. He was subject to some big legal hits and wonder if they had an effect on his leg muscle tightening up.
I know King Jonny of Toulon was a similar age but was much more solidly built if memory serves me correct
Having previously watched Ford and Farrell go through U18/U20 I see Marcus as a very talented guy that seems to follow in the same vein as F&F. The need to provide young (English International potential) players with insight to the senior international squad is paramount to their development, which EJ has in hand. I hope he enjoys the training along with tackle bag and boot cleaning chores?
Whoever said "one person cannot change the world' never ate undercooked bat