Ben Kay

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

cpwhelan
Top Cat
Top Cat

Ben Kay

Post by cpwhelan »

Although I can see why Ben Kay would not want to get involved in coaching, his knowledge, contacts and experience should be invaluable to us, but what I'd like to know is, given all his attributes and qualities, what does he bring to the Board - I'm not criticising at all - I just would like to know his areas of responsibilities on the Board. Can anyone tell me?
CPW
JP14
Super User
Super User

Re: Ben Kay

Post by JP14 »

I think he is only there “ceremonially” and just works for BT Sport and that was annoying because he couldn’t say that much about Tigers last year that was his own genuine opinion.
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

Ben works in advertising as well as working for BT Sport. As such I presume he's on the board to advise on media and advertising direction as well as offering his considerable rugby knowledge.
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

I think Kay has quite a big role in the board.

Think he was part of the committee that handled the coaching situation.
teds
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by teds »

RagingBull wrote: Fri Sep 22, 2017 7:50 am I think Kay has quite a big role in the board.

Think he was part of the committee that handled the coaching situation.
I understood he was one of two ex-players on the board. As a forward, he would provide direction on the recruitment/retention of forwards in the squad and would presumably have to sign off on the departure of Slater.
ellis9
Super User
Super User

Post by ellis9 »

I don't think his role is important as signing off player contracts. I think he is there in an advisory role.
johnthegriff
Super User
Super User

Post by johnthegriff »

Most Board members are there in a non executive role including Ben Kay and Rory Underwood. As a Rugby club Tigers were run by a committee as a PLC the y are run by a Board of Directors, the day to day running of the business is handled by the executives and employees of the company, overall policy is dictated by the board. My concern after the game went professional was that early combination of business and rugby knowledge and skills ( Wheeler, Tom, Adey, Allen, Matthews,, Beason and others) would evolve out and be lost to us as full time players would not develop the business skills to sit on the board of a multi-million pound company. Underwood and Kay are two that are thought to have the necessary skills and intellect to contribute at Board level whilst also having the rugby knowledge to offer advice on purely rugby matters. As a fan and a shareholder I am very happy that they are there.
Scott11
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Scott11 »

Lots of rugby knowledge there,has he played or worked for Tigers before? Yep,get him on the coaching staff then!
BFG
Super User
Super User

Post by BFG »

I wouldn't have anyone involved in the fiasco of the last two years involved in coaching, my goodness where would that end up!
It's a bit easier saying it all on a microphone, like me typing it on here in fact, all talk, and like me they know it, easier than actually doing the business on the coaching paddock in competition with those migrating pests and that lot that who wear the funny red hats!