Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

mightymouse
Super User
Super User

Traynor Kerr and Pakalangi

Post by mightymouse »

3 new signings

I remember Traynor from his brief Scottish career ... I think I would have remembered if he was outstanding. I suppose we need guys who can do some sort of job if required. Kerr I am less familiar with but his age group cv looks interesting could be a man to develop and one assumes he will be inexpensive as he wants to be o someone's books whilst studying at Loughborough. He could develop well .. let's watch this space!

Pakalangi seems to be another of these Togan guys who looks good on the video... but then that never shows that bad bits.. let's hope he is another Telusa.

Can't help thinking that it's locks and centres we really need more depth in.
Chobbsy
Super User
Super User

Re: Traynor Kerr and Pakalangi

Post by Chobbsy »

mightymouse wrote: Thu Sep 21, 2017 11:25 am 3 new signings

I remember Traynor from his brief Scottish career ... I think I would have remembered if he was outstanding. I suppose we need guys who can do some sort of job if required. Kerr I am less familiar with but his age group cv looks interesting could be a man to develop and one assumes he will be inexpensive as he wants to be o someone's books whilst studying at Loughborough. He could develop well .. let's watch this space!

Pakalangi seems to be another of these Togan guys who looks good on the video... but then that never shows that bad bits.. let's hope he is another Telusa.

Can't help thinking that it's locks and centres we really need more depth in.
It's great to see new signings, but in the case of Pakalangi surely if we were going to have a new back why not a centre, a player who is and centre not a back who is a wing and sometime plays centre. Also a prop and hooker is good, but we need the tall guys (second row)
God created rugby so footballers have heros too
dunc
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by dunc »

Perhaps we are trying to be a bit more long term with our recruitment. I suppose someone like Matt Tait won't be around forever and this may be an opportunity to introduce a prospect like Pakalangi to our environment and allow a season or two for him to develop.
kpj tiger
Super User
Super User

Post by kpj tiger »

dunc wrote: Thu Sep 21, 2017 1:04 pm Perhaps we are trying to be a bit more long term with our recruitment. I suppose someone like Matt Tait won't be around forever and this may be an opportunity to introduce a prospect like Pakalangi to our environment and allow a season or two for him to develop.
Dunno if somebody can clarify but according to his Wiki and his player page on our website he should be 28 but he was listed in the article about him joining being a good age profile and being 25? :smt017 :smt017

EDIT: On his player page it says he made his debut for the Tah's in 2011 as a teenager but if he is 28 (as his birthday says on the same player page) now he'd have been 22 in 2011?
Chobbsy
Super User
Super User

Post by Chobbsy »

dunc wrote: Thu Sep 21, 2017 1:04 pm Perhaps we are trying to be a bit more long term with our recruitment. I suppose someone like Matt Tait won't be around forever and this may be an opportunity to introduce a prospect like Pakalangi to our environment and allow a season or two for him to develop.
That is a pretty fair point
God created rugby so footballers have heros too
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

True with Tait tbh but maybe they will convert him to centre Idk
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
strawclearer
Super User
Super User

Post by strawclearer »

I see Kyle Traynor is studying for a Masters degree in sustainable development at Oxford University while he's with us. We could do with some of that!
Happy days clearing straw from the pitch before the Baa-Baas games! KBO
Wear a Mask>Protect The NHS>Save Lives
voice of the crumbie
Super User
Super User

Post by voice of the crumbie »

Didn't MOC coach Tonga for a bit before rejoining Tigers? He may have insights beyond the highlight reel. I can see a scenario where Tait is used at centre to cover injuries and rotation. If so makes sense to bring wing/full back cover given that with Tait covering centre and George Worth currently injured, I believe, we only have Telusa as a genuine full back. The likes of Malouf, Brady, Thompstone and Holmes are more wings than full backs imho though from what we have seen of Malouf so far he probably has sufficient power/strength to play outside centre. My only reservation would be he is still "converting" from 7's and would have to learn the "positioning" needed to play centre.
Tigers for the premiership and European Cup. Get behind the team and make some noise!!
Hot_Charlie
Super User
Super User

Post by Hot_Charlie »

strawclearer wrote: Thu Sep 21, 2017 6:34 pm I see Kyle Traynor is studying for a Masters degree in sustainable development at Oxford University while he's with us. We could do with some of that!
I think Kyle Traynor is perhaps a very shrewd signing with more of an eye to "off field" development than on it. He knows Genge from their time at Bristol and of course Ellis no longer has a day to day mentor as Marcos appeared to be in his position. Maybe that's been one of the drivers to bring him in. If you watch him in the warm up on match day he's very vocal in assisting and encouraging the more junior members of the squad.

Kerr looks like another egg in the hooker development basket.
Hot_Charlie
Super User
Super User

Post by Hot_Charlie »

JP14 wrote: Thu Sep 21, 2017 4:05 pm True with Tait tbh but maybe they will convert him to centre Idk
I suspect he's been recruited to allow the club to release Mat Tait into the centre "full time" for the next few months - if it's difficult to recruit an international centre in mid September, but you already have one in the squad playing mainly full back, it makes sense short term. I wonder how long a deal Pakalangi's on? I suspect a 12 month "trial" period.
Noddy555
Super User
Super User

Post by Noddy555 »

I've seen Pakalangi play and dependent on fitness he is an exciting player with good skills, a good acquisition.