Kitch injury

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

tigerburnie
Super User
Super User

Kitch injury

Post by tigerburnie »

"If you want entertainment, go to the theatre," says Edinburgh head coach Richard Cockerill. "Rugby players play the game to win.15/1/21.
sapajo
Super User
Super User

Re: Kitch injury

Post by sapajo »

Time for Mr Croftylatte :smt023
Without hope we are nothing, keep the faith, a Tiger for eternity
JackFlashJonny
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by JackFlashJonny »

The article is a little embarrassing really...if T Youngs has missed lots of training then why start him against some of the best lineout operators in europe...the only conclusion is that they can't rely on Thacker at the scrum...

Stuck between a rock and a hard place there it seems unless McGuigan comes good...
ourla
Super User
Super User

Post by ourla »

MOC says
Graham would be our No1 line-out caller. He is probably our best operator in that space
MMmmm....
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

ourla wrote: Tue Sep 19, 2017 4:21 pm MOC says
Graham would be our No1 line-out caller. He is probably our best operator in that space
MMmmm....
If you don't think Kitch is a good lineout operator you have a very short memory. Couple of seasons ago he was topping stats for steals and takes. Last season he had injury problems but the difference in our defence at the lineout between when he was there and when he wasn't was noticeable.

I have no idea why this season has seen such poor lineout work. Doesn't seem to matter who goes there. Either the throw is poor or when it's a good throw the jump is miss timed or the jumper fumbles. So many errors I can barely believe it. Hopefully there'll be a marked improvement for the weekend.
TheRock

Post by TheRock »

sam16111986 wrote: Tue Sep 19, 2017 6:16 pm
MMmmm....
If you don't think Kitch is a good lineout operator you have a very short memory. Couple of seasons ago he was topping stats for steals and takes. Last season he had injury problems but the difference in our defence at the lineout between when he was there and when he wasn't was noticeable.

I have no idea why this season has seen such poor lineout work. Doesn't seem to matter who goes there. Either the throw is poor or when it's a good throw the jump is miss timed or the jumper fumbles. So many errors I can barely believe it. Hopefully there'll be a marked improvement for the weekend.
The lineout was supposed to be his strength, he isn't much use at anything else. So far the lineout has been terrible whoever has played which would suggest a problem with the system/coaching.
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

TheRock wrote: Tue Sep 19, 2017 6:50 pm

MMmmm....

The lineout was supposed to be his strength, he isn't much use at anything else. So far the lineout has been terrible whoever has played which would suggest a problem with the system/coaching.
He helps our scrum and according to that Kiwi lock we had the other season would be an All Black if he was in New Zealand.
Stephen18
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by Stephen18 »

sam16111986 wrote: Tue Sep 19, 2017 6:16 pm [quote=ourla post_id=674201 time=<a href="tel:1505834501">1505834501</a> user_id=10130]
MOC says
MMmmm....

[/quote]

I think that was a few years ago when parling was calling the line out, so all he had to focus on was his own job, there many top second rows who can't call the line out as it distracts from their job,.
TheRock

Post by TheRock »

sam16111986 wrote: Tue Sep 19, 2017 9:03 pm

He helps our scrum and according to that Kiwi lock we had the other season would be an All Black if he was in New Zealand.
Helping our scrum debatable. As far as Brad Thorn goes off course he's going to praise him they were teammates. It's like Todd Blackadder comparing George ford with Beauden Barrett and Dan Carter.
If you honestly think Graham kitchener could be an all black or even an England international for that matter then I'm afraid I give up.
Grimlish
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Grimlish »

Stephen18 - no, that was since Parling moved on.

I'm with those despairing of the increasing short-termism on this forum. Kitch has made big contributions & not just in the lineout - most of our current pack have and the recent additions mostly show promise (weakest I've seen play is Ryan but there's time yet). There does seem to be a problem there at the moment. MoC's comments seem generous, more so than you'd expect if there had been a row with MoC saying to RB, 'sort it or go' & RB saying 'I'll go then, cos I don't want to work with you anymore' (I paraphrase to save use of too many *****s), which is what I thought most likely. I guess we reallly don't know what has happened. The idea that Kitch was dropped for Gloucester game now seems dead.
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

TheRock wrote: Tue Sep 19, 2017 9:29 pm
sam16111986 wrote: Tue Sep 19, 2017 9:03 pm

Helping our scrum debatable. As far as Brad Thorn goes off course he's going to praise him they were teammates. It's like Todd Blackadder comparing George ford with Beauden Barrett and Dan Carter.
If you honestly think Graham kitchener could be an all black or even an England international for that matter then I'm afraid I give up.
In his best form, like we saw a couple of years back, he's international quality. Unlikely to get a cap now though, injury at unfortunate times and with England enjoying an embarrassment of riches in the second row. I think he is sadly underrated on this forum, he'll probably only get the credit he deserves if he moves elsewhere then comes back and plays well for his new side.

As an aside I'd say comparing Ford and Barrett is fairly logical. Two flyhalfs who look great when attacking with quick ball but have issues kicking reliably off the tee. Not sure on Carter comparison that would depend on the context but Blackadder did coach him for a number of years.
big john
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by big john »

To be fair the Line-out has slipped in form since Parling left so it does make me ask how good the guys really are. the good years Cockerill had at Tigers seemed to be with a real quality squad and as those great players either retired of left the downward slide started, was this down to the players going or more of the squad carrying the coach?

I get the feeling Kitch looked as good as he did due to the guys around him. not sure he offers enough for the role we are looking to fill, not saying he is a bad player but not sure he is the right fit for what we need.