Haskell / Marler

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Chobbsy
Super User
Super User

Haskell / Marler

Post by Chobbsy »

Have we seen / heard the last of this spat?
God created rugby so footballers have heros too
Roly
Super User
Super User

Re: Haskell / Marler

Post by Roly »

Most likely, they looked to be best buddies after the final whistle.

Marler does like to wind the opposition up though doesn't he? Haskell took the bait. Job done.
“It is no use saying, ‘We are doing our best.’ You have got to succeed in doing what is necessary.” Sir Winston Churchill.
Chobbsy
Super User
Super User

Post by Chobbsy »

Roly wrote: Mon Sep 18, 2017 8:57 am Most likely, they looked to be best buddies after the final whistle.

Marler does like to wind the opposition up though doesn't he? Haskell took the bait. Job done.
I wasn't talking about them feeling it was settled I was thinking more of the citing officer with the way Haskell had him around the throat.

I have seen a lot less being taken a lot further by the citing system
Roly
Super User
Super User

Post by Roly »

Chobbsy wrote: Mon Sep 18, 2017 9:09 am
Roly wrote: Mon Sep 18, 2017 8:57 am Most likely, they looked to be best buddies after the final whistle.

I wasn't talking about them feeling it was settled I was thinking more of the citing officer with the way Haskell had him around the throat.

I have seen a lot less being taken a lot further by the citing system
If the citing commission's record is anything to go by, it will depend on if Haskell is still in the frame for an England place or not.
“It is no use saying, ‘We are doing our best.’ You have got to succeed in doing what is necessary.” Sir Winston Churchill.
jgriffin
Super User
Super User

Post by jgriffin »

Really hate this sensationalisation of minor handbags. A total non-event.
Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95
A game played on grass in the open air by teams of XV.
wellstiger
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by wellstiger »

Agree 100%
I could have seen Marler trying likewise with Ellis Genge.
It used to be part and parcel of rugby to get under the skin of opposing teams.
Sadly in my opinion we have't seen similar for a couple of seasons. This season both Barf and Glaws have attempted to wind up Ellis- All credit to the young lad for being able to keep a lid on it. He's showing real maturity.
The question
1) If Haskel went should Marler have gone?
2) Did it deserve a Yellow for one player alone?
3) Where are the TMO's this season? - they were quite vocal last season assisting if not taking over reffing responsibilities and noticeable by their absence this season.- Which I prefer by the way.
ourla
Super User
Super User

Post by ourla »

Really tricky one isn't. Squirting a bit of water at someone. Is that acceptable or not? On balance I would say not and he should have been yellow carded. Because if it's deemed acceptable think about where it could lead. If I can squirt water why can't I spit for example.

Haskell certainly shouldn't have reacted. If he doesn't know what Marler is up to by now he never will.
tigerburnie
Super User
Super User

Post by tigerburnie »

Haskell must be very embarrassed by his reaction, Marler has previous and he totally lost it and the way he spoke to the ref deserves a ban in my opinion.
"If you want entertainment, go to the theatre," says Edinburgh head coach Richard Cockerill. "Rugby players play the game to win.15/1/21.
ourla
Super User
Super User

Post by ourla »

tigerburnie wrote: Mon Sep 18, 2017 11:35 am Haskell must be very embarrassed by his reaction, Marler has previous and he totally lost it and the way he spoke to the ref deserves a ban in my opinion.
What did he say? I thought he was just explaining that he was provoked. Which of course no argument for a violent reaction. But I didn't think there was anything untoward.
Chobbsy
Super User
Super User

Post by Chobbsy »

ourla wrote: Mon Sep 18, 2017 11:23 am Really tricky one isn't. Squirting a bit of water at someone. Is that acceptable or not? On balance I would say not and he should have been yellow carded. Because if it's deemed acceptable think about where it could lead. If I can squirt water why can't I spit for example.

Haskell certainly shouldn't have reacted. If he doesn't know what Marler is up to by now he never will.
If you look he does squirt it, but not at him, made himself look extremely childish and as Ugo says, it was something you expect to hear in the play ground of an infant school
big john
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by big john »

For me it should have been Yellow for both, Ref seemed to be a little out of his depth at times.

Yes Haskell was wrong to go at him again but Marler should have been binned for the pull on the head guard, think he has done this to Ayerza before.

I was also very disappointed with Ugo and his really bias views on the whole thing and even if it pains me to say it later in the game when Quins didn't get the call Ugo wanted Lawrence who I am not a fan of dealt with it so well with just a "well the ref has missed a lot both way"
Chobbsy
Super User
Super User

Post by Chobbsy »

big john wrote: Mon Sep 18, 2017 11:44 am For me it should have been Yellow for both, Ref seemed to be a little out of his depth at times.

Yes Haskell was wrong to go at him again but Marler should have been binned for the pull on the head guard, think he has done this to Ayerza before.

I was also very disappointed with Ugo and his really bias views on the whole thing and even if it pains me to say it later in the game when Quins didn't get the call Ugo wanted Lawrence who I am not a fan of dealt with it so well with just a "well the ref has missed a lot both way"
You were disappointed in Ugo, sorry have to disagree, Haskell totally lost it, for nothing, I thought Dayglo was the biased one, However I do have to say, I think he is normally a pretty fair commentator, but I felt he was wrong yesterday
Roly
Super User
Super User

Post by Roly »

ourla wrote: Mon Sep 18, 2017 11:39 am
tigerburnie wrote: Mon Sep 18, 2017 11:35 am Haskell must be very embarrassed by his reaction, Marler has previous and he totally lost it and the way he spoke to the ref deserves a ban in my opinion.
What did he say? I thought he was just explaining that he was provoked. Which of course no argument for a violent reaction. But I didn't think there was anything untoward.
All he said was that what Marler had done isn't allowed and that the referee should talk to the TMO.

Hardly a ban-worthy offence.
ourla
Super User
Super User

Post by ourla »

Chobbsy wrote: Mon Sep 18, 2017 11:41 amIf you look he does squirt it, but not at him
So he squirted water somewhere near to him?
Chobbsy
Super User
Super User

Post by Chobbsy »

ourla wrote: Mon Sep 18, 2017 12:25 pm
Chobbsy wrote: Mon Sep 18, 2017 11:41 amIf you look he does squirt it, but not at him
So he squirted water somewhere near to him?
Yes, and reaction, retaliation was a choking