Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

ourla
Super User
Super User

Re: Haskell / Marler

Post by ourla »

Chobbsy wrote: Mon Sep 18, 2017 12:36 pm
ourla wrote: Mon Sep 18, 2017 12:25 pm
Chobbsy wrote: Mon Sep 18, 2017 11:41 amIf you look he does squirt it, but not at him
So he squirted water somewhere near to him?
Yes, and reaction, retaliation was a choking
In which case Haskell is even more dumb.
strawclearer
Super User
Super User

Post by strawclearer »

I think Haskell was remarkably dumb not to 'Do a Genge' and simply smile at Marler when the man with the mohawk tried to wind him up. He'll be feeling very foolish today and will be mercilessly 'wound up' by fellow players. I suspect a lot of water will be 'inadvertently' spilled on him whenever players gather together!

I hate quoting S. Barnes but...

"What to make of the Coventry strangler? James Haskell gave Joe Marler a good and proper throttle in response to the Harlequins prop pulling twice on his headgear and then, according to Haskell (and the TV pictures appear to back up his assertion), a squirt of water in the face.

Haskell ended up in the bin, Dai Young ended up incensed. Andrew Jackson, the referee, had little choice but to card Haskell, it looked pretty ugly. But he was provoked by the prop.

Had Marler not wound him up there would have been no incident. No yellow. For that reason, he too merited a card. The instigator got off. This encourages other players to squirt water, yank scrum caps, hang onto legs in rucks, hold back by the jersey...all the little things that create the Big Crime.

By letting the petty infringer escape scot-free, referees are backing the niggling cheats. Inadvertently or not, Jackson took their side on Sunday."
Happy days clearing straw from the pitch before the Baa-Baas games! KBO
Wear a Mask>Protect The NHS>Save Lives
Tiger_in_Birmingham
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Tiger_in_Birmingham »

For a few seasons now pulling on the headgear should be treated the same as a high tackle - penalty and (depending on the season) a yellow card.

Yellow to Marler for tugging the headgear twice , yellow and penalty reversal for Haskell's reaction
Tiglon
Super User
Super User

Post by Tiglon »

Tiger_in_Birmingham wrote: Mon Sep 18, 2017 1:42 pm For a few seasons now pulling on the headgear should be treated the same as a high tackle - penalty and (depending on the season) a yellow card.

Yellow to Marler for tugging the headgear twice , yellow and penalty reversal for Haskell's reaction
Completely agree - it would be a yellow card if you pulled someone's headgear while they were holding the ball, it should be when they're not as well. For once, Stuart Barnes' analysis is spot on too - encouraging players to pull each other's headgear to provoke a reaction is not good for the game.
drc_007
Super User
Super User

Post by drc_007 »

Tiger_in_Birmingham wrote: Mon Sep 18, 2017 1:42 pm For a few seasons now pulling on the headgear should be treated the same as a high tackle - penalty and (depending on the season) a yellow card.

Seems about right.
ourla
Super User
Super User

Post by ourla »

A penalty for a pull on the headgear would suffice IMO.

Did Marler squirt water in his face or in his direction? Big difference.

Whatever, Haskell is still dumb.
tigerburnie
Super User
Super User

Post by tigerburnie »

Haskell was stationary when the head gear was touched, so it's hardly a high tackle, tugging at folks clothing, slapping on the head(like Castro used to do a lot when playing for us) are all far too common, holding people in rucks and blocking are all now part of the game it would seem. Haskells judo throw was the more serious misdemeanor of the whole sorry saga and then he tried to shout in the refs face to get Marler a card and got himself one instead, I think justice was eventually handed out correctly.
"If you want entertainment, go to the theatre," says Edinburgh head coach Richard Cockerill. "Rugby players play the game to win.15/1/21.
Tiglon
Super User
Super User

Post by Tiglon »

tigerburnie wrote: Mon Sep 18, 2017 2:19 pm Haskell was stationary when the head gear was touched, so it's hardly a high tackle, tugging at folks clothing, slapping on the head(like Castro used to do a lot when playing for us) are all far too common, holding people in rucks and blocking are all now part of the game it would seem. Haskells judo throw was the more serious misdemeanor of the whole sorry saga and then he tried to shout in the refs face to get Marler a card and got himself one instead, I think justice was eventually handed out correctly.
Completely agree that Haskell was silly to react the way he did.

However, a player being stationary doesn't mean that rules on high tackling or dangerous play don't apply. You would think Marler would be more aware of the potential consequences of being so reckless with the neck area, given the situation with his team's first choice fly half.

I think there's a difference between tugging at someone's clothing in general, and tugging at someone's clothing that is tied around his neck.
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

I think the crowd treated Marler disgustingly, all he did was do handbags and throw some water and they treat him like dirt, even Dallaglio condemned it
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
Latecomer

Post by Latecomer »

Marker attacked Haskells head. Penalty. Haskell over reacts to being squirted with water. Both should be sin binned, Marler for the original offence, Haskell for his reaction. Surprised we haven't heard from the citing commissioner as no action was taken against Marler
Chobbsy
Super User
Super User

Post by Chobbsy »

Bear in mind guys, the head gear is designed to open and come off when pressure is applied, hence why we see them all over the field.

so Haskell's comment about "he tried to strangle me" again was like something from the infant school playground
God created rugby so footballers have heros too
ourla
Super User
Super User

Post by ourla »

Latecomer wrote: Mon Sep 18, 2017 4:44 pm Marker attacked Haskells head.
You should be sin binned for such a nonsensical comment.
:smt030 :smt031 :smt003
ellis9
Super User
Super User

Post by ellis9 »

Haskell would have been given a red card had I been the ref.

You cannot put your hand around another players neck, Haskell used 2 hands. He then raised his voice to the referee trying to explain why he did what he did. There's no excuses.

What Marler did was silly but nothing for Haskell to lose it for. I'd have had a stern word with Marler and given Haskell a red card.
Roly
Super User
Super User

Post by Roly »

ellis9 wrote: Mon Sep 18, 2017 10:05 pm Haskell would have been given a red card had I been the ref.

You cannot put your hand around another players neck, Haskell used 2 hands. He then raised his voice to the referee trying to explain why he did what he did. There's no excuses.

What Marler did was silly but nothing for Haskell to lose it for. I'd have had a stern word with Marler and given Haskell a red card.
He tried to throttle Marler (and Marler probably deserved it). Marler has now been reprimanded which if I remember correctly is equivalent to a yellow card.

But he did not noticeably 'raise his voice' to the referee. In fact, under the circumstances, I thought he was remarkably restrained.
“It is no use saying, ‘We are doing our best.’ You have got to succeed in doing what is necessary.” Sir Winston Churchill.
big john
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by big john »

Looks like those of us who viewed it a both yellow called it right by the rules.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/41314818

at the end of the day rules are rules even if you don't like the players in the firing line.