Mr Maxwell-keyes

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Mark62
Super User
Super User

Mr Maxwell-keyes

Post by Mark62 »

I have been watching him ref since he was doing National 3 games, he was useless and aloof then and is no better now.
How 1 team can concede 17 penalties and there be no yellow card is beyond belief. The decision not to look at the deliberate knock on by their winger was ridiculous, as clear a yellow as you'll see though not convinced it would have been penalty try
wardy
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Re: Mr Maxwell-keyes

Post by wardy »

Mark62 wrote: Sat Sep 16, 2017 6:45 pm I have been watching him ref since he was doing National 3 games, he was useless and aloof then and is no better now.
How 1 team can concede 17 penalties and there be no yellow card is beyond belief. The decision not to look at the deliberate knock on by their winger was ridiculous, as clear a yellow as you'll see though not convinced it would have been penalty try
Entirely agree with this. Earlier in his career I was willing to give him the benefit of the doubt, but not after today. He pranced about like a preening peacock - God's gift to rugby refereeing - ignoring high tackles as if they didn't matter. Even when the incidents were shown on the big screen he ignored them. Mind you he wasn't helped by his assistants who need a good lesson on off-side. And what about the TMO - Oh yes Sean Davey, nuff said.
Give blood, play rugby!!
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

The lack of intervention from assistant refs is also appalling and really needs to be addressed by the RFU, they are perfectly in their rights to intervene or tell Maxwell-Keyes to check TMO
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
fortysix
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by fortysix »

Out of his depth..
However-------------there should be a blanket rule , 5 penalties, automatic yellow card.
!0 penalties----2 yellow cards

Today was a classic case of Ford NOT taking charge.
If Farrell was i/c he would have taken the 6 points we were donated for penalties which would have put us out of sight at 27-0.
George has to take points as and when they are offered
voice of the crumbie
Super User
Super User

Post by voice of the crumbie »

Agree with the points above. An abysmal performance by Maxwell-Keys.
Tigers for the premiership and European Cup. Get behind the team and make some noise!!
Scuttle
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Scuttle »

Just seen Goneva yellow carded for much less obvious knock on
As Good As It Gets
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

InterestING that Ackermann complained about the reffing too
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
brooksey845

Post by brooksey845 »

Scuttle wrote: Sun Sep 17, 2017 12:20 am Just seen Goneva yellow carded for much less obvious knock on
This was frustrating. During the game as well the Gloucesters players reaction was clear to see that he had done wrong and committed an offence that warranted a yellow.
voice of the crumbie
Super User
Super User

Post by voice of the crumbie »

JP14 wrote: Sun Sep 17, 2017 8:19 am InterestING that Ackermann complained about the reffing too
Even more interesting was MOC's comment on Radio Leicester post match. He thought the game had been refereed well. I didn't detect any irony in his statement. He made no comment on the number of offences and lack of yellow cards.

In my humble opinion, although we rightly complain that the refereeing was below par, when a team commits the number and type of offences Gloucester did it shows they are under serious pressure from the opposition which is a plus point for Tigers. Sadly the team didn't seem capable of turning that pressure into points. Whether that will come as the season progresses remains to be seen. However given the two losses and our failure to claim what should have been a straightforward bonus point it needs to happen sooner rather than later or we will find ourselves having too much ground to catch up with the pace setters and hoping, once again, to sneak into 4th place to make the play-offs. In other words we would not have improved on previous seasons. I also hope that we abandon the almost ritual chant of "nothing is won in September, October etc". That may literally be the case however these are the periods in which the foundations for winning trophies are set. Over to the coaches and players to build on yesterday so that we play consistently as we did in the first 30 minutes for whole matches.
Tigers for the premiership and European Cup. Get behind the team and make some noise!!
wellstiger
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by wellstiger »

And not forgetting high tackle count - Again going unpunished.

I am all for Sirs taking responsibility and not relying on TMO - but was one present ?

Agree 100% Sir has not progressed but rather regressed.
GETHIN EXILE

Post by GETHIN EXILE »

What most annoyed me about sir was he put Gloucester on a team warning in the second half and said to them you were on one in the first half! Surely once the team has been warned the ref has to act on it not reset everything at half time! I'm all for trying to keep it 15 v 15 but once a card is due it has to come out. Also it seemed we were back in the old days when the referee chose whether the assistants did anything other than flagged for touch.
KevinR

Post by KevinR »

Matt O'Connor chose not to go down the Cockers route of criticising the ref (wisely), but I can assure you that he was extremely vocal during the second half in his observations regarding the officials interpretation of offside, high tackles, cards etc. Almost back to the volume of his first stint at Tigers, but his language seems to have improved!
Grimlish
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Grimlish »

Seemed to me the off-side line didn't exist until a team were defending 10m from their own line, and then hardly at all. I saw the Assistant using his mike to call in more than one such so I reckon he was playing some sort of 'advantage'. The effect of course is remove the space for players to use creatively. Weak reffing.

I thought he was consistent on the high-tackles, consistent for both sides in ignoring 'seat-belt' tackles, many of which wouldn't have been given a few seasons ago, but which got the crowd riled. There was one very obvious exception in the second half which looked like it should have had TMO intervention.

The deliberate knock on was a poor decision and the lack of a card for repeated infringements was inexplicable.

Post match MoC was commenting on the ref's interpretation of the breakdown and the new laws, clearly unhappy at that. I didnt see what his beef was. Anyone care to explain?
jgriffin
Super User
Super User

Post by jgriffin »

KevinR wrote: Sun Sep 17, 2017 11:45 am Matt O'Connor chose not to go down the Cockers route of criticising the ref (wisely), but I can assure you that he was extremely vocal during the second half in his observations regarding the officials interpretation of offside, high tackles, cards etc. Almost back to the volume of his first stint at Tigers, but his language seems to have improved!
I posted when he was appointed that I wondered if moderating his language was a condition in the contract :smt005
Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95
A game played on grass in the open air by teams of XV.
dunks43

Post by dunks43 »

fortysix wrote: Sat Sep 16, 2017 8:20 pm

Today was a classic case of Ford NOT taking charge.
If Farrell was i/c he would have taken the 6 points we were donated for penalties which would have put us out of sight at 27-0.
George has to take points as and when they are offered
Captain makes the decision.... Also at the time of the penalties , gloucester were there for the taking , on another day those decisions would have given us a bonus point by half time, 100% right decision to kick for the corners, 100% right decision for Ben youngs to take a quick tap and score try , when most people would have expected us to kick a penalty to get points on the board