Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

BFG
Super User
Super User

Re: Who is out there and available?

Post by BFG »

Soggypitch wrote: Thu Nov 02, 2017 8:43 am
CitizenSmiff wrote: Thu Nov 02, 2017 12:26 am First time I've signed in for ages because I feel so strongly- Matt Smith deserves a key to the city for all he's done in a striped green shirt, and he's got the winner's medals to prove it. Just think how much he must love this club to keep showing up game after game, year after year, body on the line every week for zero credit. A proper Tiger and it honestly baffles me how anybody could think otherwise.
I agree Matt Smith has been a brilliant servant to LFC, he's shown incredible loyalty and been a very good player with a strong character.

Is he an international class centre - unfortunately not. Do the genuine challengers for the top trophy in Europe have more depth at centre than us - yes.
Yes I have always rated Smith and he is a very good player from a generation of winners!
It's too easy to view him just as a squad player because he is so good at stepping in, he has very good basics and is able to slot in fairly seamlessly but when he starts games he is equally good!
Great team player, can't just throw any flash Harry in, were he Sarries people would rave more about him!
The game has changed a bit with defence being king and less space available, wingers are a bit more evasive these days but I recall Smith was rapid at one time on the wing, he is a centre now, still is pretty quick and very strong, plenty still in the tank!
Tiger_in_Birmingham
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Tiger_in_Birmingham »

BFG wrote: Thu Nov 02, 2017 10:53 amYes I have always rated Smith and he is a very good player from a generation of winners!
It's too easy to view him just as a squad player because he is so good at stepping in, he has very good basics and is able to slot in fairly seamlessly but when he starts games he is equally good!
Great team player, can't just throw any flash Harry in, were he Sarries people would rave more about him!
The game has changed a bit with defence being king and less space available, wingers are a bit more evasive these days but I recall Smith was rapid at one time on the wing, he is a centre now, still is pretty quick and very strong, plenty still in the tank!
Smurph sums Matt up in his autobiography - Leicester through and through, bleeds red, white & green - had he gone to another club he would have 200+ Premiership appearances if not 250+ (he's on 141 atm according to the espon stats hub).

He's also quite happy mucking in with the forwards. Always good to see him pack down on the flank if we've had had a back row yellow carded, no risk of the opposition back row peeling down his side and breaking through Matt's tackling.
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

Tiger_in_Birmingham wrote: Thu Nov 02, 2017 11:40 am
BFG wrote: Thu Nov 02, 2017 10:53 amYes I have always rated Smith and he is a very good player from a generation of winners!
Smurph sums Matt up in his autobiography - Leicester through and through, bleeds red, white & green - had he gone to another club he would have 200+ Premiership appearances if not 250+ (he's on 141 atm according to the espon stats hub).

He's also quite happy mucking in with the forwards. Always good to see him pack down on the flank if we've had had a back row yellow carded, no risk of the opposition back row peeling down his side and breaking through Matt's tackling.
Smith is on something like 210 club appearances for Tigers Newcastle game was his 150th start.
baz1664
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by baz1664 »

From the looks of the Tonga squad Mapapa and Veainu haven’t been picked for the upcoming internationals, they should be available for the Sale and Worcester games.u
L Smith
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by L Smith »

baz1664 wrote: Sat Nov 04, 2017 8:34 am From the looks of the Tonga squad Mapapa and Veainu haven’t been picked for the upcoming internationals, they should be available for the Sale and Worcester games.u
I read somewhere that Veainu was drafted in as an injury replacement
I refuse to have a battle of wits with an unarmed man