Re: Who is out there and available?

Post by westwinds31 »

Owen
Chobbsy
Super User
Super User

Post by Chobbsy »

ellis9 wrote: Wed Sep 13, 2017 4:49 pm If we are going to bring in someone like Will Hurrell, then I probably wouldn't bother. I'd play Smith and then give Catchpole and Charlie Thacker more game time. Smith would do a better job than Hurrell and the other two would do just as well as Hurrell would.

If we bring in someone, it needs to be someone who is good enough and not just someone to fill a gap.
For once I agree, you are talking sense and not trying to start an argument with anyone
God created rugby so footballers have heros too
mol2
Super User
Super User

Post by mol2 »

Why assume the injury dispensation will be used on a back?

Perhaps a back row might be a better use of the money?
kornboy130
Super User
Super User

Post by kornboy130 »

Dispensations have to be covering the injured player - there's a bit of leeway with backs playing across positions or 2nd rows playing flanker etc - but not to the extent a back row could be signed in replacement of an outside centre I'd suggest.
SirGordonRamsey

Post by SirGordonRamsey »

mol2 wrote: Thu Sep 14, 2017 2:22 pm Why assume the injury dispensation will be used on a back?

Perhaps a back row might be a better use of the money?
Why would we possibly sign another backrow instead of replacing Manu?
Egg Chasers Rugby Podcast: 'Tigers Jeresy, its like getting into an E Type Jag'
mol2
Super User
Super User

Post by mol2 »

Our problems lie in the forwards and should money become available why not spend it there.

If the rules don't state that the injury dispensation money must be spent on a like for like player then why not?
doublecarpet

Post by doublecarpet »

Surely the quotes fro MOC last week alluded to 1 to 2 more player potentially arriving imminently, so hopefully the lack of power in the backrow is being addressed enabling the club, if it so desires, to seek cover for Manu via the dispensation route.
But let's be honest, permanent cover should have been sought last season as it's evident that he can no longer be relied upon.
LE18
Super User
Super User

Post by LE18 »

LE18 wrote: Tue Sep 12, 2017 7:50 pm Bring back Dusty to scout for us!
Many a true word spoken in jest! :smt001
FrontRowUnionMember
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by FrontRowUnionMember »

doublecarpet wrote: Fri Sep 15, 2017 10:42 am Surely the quotes fro MOC last week alluded to 1 to 2 more player potentially arriving imminently, so hopefully the lack of power in the backrow is being addressed enabling the club, if it so desires, to seek cover for Manu via the dispensation route.
But let's be honest, permanent cover should have been sought last season as it's evident that he can no longer be relied upon.
Did we ever sign anyone? Was Pakalani before this?
Only name rumoured on the horizon appears to be Polota-Nau, and he's definitely not a centre.
Roly
Super User
Super User

Post by Roly »

doublecarpet wrote: Fri Sep 15, 2017 10:42 am
God! you can't say that!

Burn the heretic!

Manu is the Messiah you know.
“It is no use saying, ‘We are doing our best.’ You have got to succeed in doing what is necessary.” Sir Winston Churchill.
h's dad
Super User
Super User

Post by h's dad »

mol2 wrote: Thu Sep 14, 2017 5:25 pm Our problems lie in the forwards and should money become available why not spend it there.

If the rules don't state that the injury dispensation money must be spent on a like for like player then why not?
(d) the proposed replacement is the same position as the Injured Player or could
provide cover for the Injured Player;
(e) the proposed replacement has either an equivalent level of experience to the Injured
Player or has less experience than the Injured Player;
I am neither clever enough to understand nor stupid enough to play this game
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

If Manu gets another long-term injury (which is quite likely) an injury replacement centre I'd love to have would be La Rochelle's Fijian centre Levani Botia who can also cover the back row
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
G.K
Super User
Super User

Post by G.K »

jgriffin wrote: Tue Sep 12, 2017 11:08 pm
tigerburnie wrote: Tue Sep 12, 2017 10:06 pm Scrutiny is not slagging one our finest servants who never lets us down, scrutiny is coming up with a better assessment that he had a purple patch x years ago once. He's a dam fine player who does more for the club than so called fans like you.
Two votes from our house for that! Well put (down)!
Both Matts did a decent job in the Centres, leave 'em alone...
Nowadays referees decide matches, players by how much.
CitizenSmiff
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by CitizenSmiff »

First time I've signed in for ages because I feel so strongly- Matt Smith deserves a key to the city for all he's done in a striped green shirt, and he's got the winner's medals to prove it. Just think how much he must love this club to keep showing up game after game, year after year, body on the line every week for zero credit. A proper Tiger and it honestly baffles me how anybody could think otherwise.
Soggypitch
Super User
Super User

Post by Soggypitch »

CitizenSmiff wrote: Thu Nov 02, 2017 12:26 am First time I've signed in for ages because I feel so strongly- Matt Smith deserves a key to the city for all he's done in a striped green shirt, and he's got the winner's medals to prove it. Just think how much he must love this club to keep showing up game after game, year after year, body on the line every week for zero credit. A proper Tiger and it honestly baffles me how anybody could think otherwise.
I agree Matt Smith has been a brilliant servant to LFC, he's shown incredible loyalty and been a very good player with a strong character.

Is he an international class centre - unfortunately not. Do the genuine challengers for the top trophy in Europe have more depth at centre than us - yes.
Soggypitch