Eleventh in the Premiership...and rising!

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

markharbtiger
Gold Member
Gold Member

Eleventh in the Premiership...and rising!

Post by markharbtiger »

Trying to be positive on a Monday morning after the past two w/e.
I think things will improve with more game time, to knit a group of good individual players into an effective team.
I also think there has got to be a hard look at the first two weeks, as to my eyes there were a number of problems which persisted. But hard work by the coaching staff and players should put those right.
Really hoping that this is the worst it gets this season, and we start climbing the table!
BFG
Super User
Super User

Re: Eleventh in the Premiership...and rising!

Post by BFG »

The signs aren't good.
The balance is all wrong, it's been very slowly creeping off balance up front for a couple or three years IMO.
Folk on here will know my views, a simple lesson in weights and measures would be advisable, that forward pack is it's own worst enemy in selection.
It looks tired, that means it most probably is tired!
Some of those forwards are small compared to backs, they play fancy and have the look but with very little impact and is certainly not anywhere near enough to take it out of an ever improving competitive opposition.
Add that the half backs strengths rely on dominant forwards and it's a big concern.
Scott11
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Scott11 »

Please explain more BFG I'm curious as to what you mean. Off the top of my head that is 7 of the starting pack that turned it around including the same tight 5. One game that springs to mind is Sarries at WR where we really took their scrum to pieces and should've pushed it home and took another scrum where a yellow was close and OTY opted for points instead. We more than matched the AP best pack around the field too and lost because of YbY ridiculous pass to MW. Other games the same pack bar 1 or 2 was much better too. Please explain!
BFG
Super User
Super User

Post by BFG »

Scott11 wrote: Mon Sep 11, 2017 9:36 am Please explain more BFG I'm curious as to what you mean. Off the top of my head that is 7 of the starting pack that turned it around including the same tight 5. One game that springs to mind is Sarries at WR where we really took their scrum to pieces and should've pushed it home and took another scrum where a yellow was close and OTY opted for points instead. We more than matched the AP best pack around the field too and lost because of YbY ridiculous pass to MW. Other games the same pack bar 1 or 2 was much better too. Please explain!
Every team will have it's moments Scott, individuals will have their good moments.
I could pick you out plenty of highlights but it's the consistency that is key!
How hard a team has to work for those good moments impacts their ability to be resilient during the lesser good moments and indeed over the course of a season.
The scrum looked pretty solid against Saints, it worked very hard to be so, but that one big moment where everyone's legs went in the second half was a massive signal, think about it in full context and the Saints try by Collins, how and why did that happen!
Scott11
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Scott11 »

It's not a small tight five either,it's more a case of coaching and form imo. Constantly losing lineout ball is a massive problem and needs to be stamped out immediately! The yardage made by the tight five bar Genge is pathetic too. Big changes needed this week!
tigerburnie
Super User
Super User

Post by tigerburnie »

We are not a bad team, but we are not playing well....yet.
"If you want entertainment, go to the theatre," says Edinburgh head coach Richard Cockerill. "Rugby players play the game to win.15/1/21.
Latecomer

Post by Latecomer »

Last season Chiefs won only two of their first seven fixtures and still finished as champions. I know we can't afford to lose more than six games to make the playoffs, but the Premiership isn't won in September. Keep the faith
Chobbsy
Super User
Super User

Post by Chobbsy »

Latecomer wrote: Mon Sep 11, 2017 10:19 am Last season Chiefs won only two of their first seven fixtures and still finished as champions. I know we can't afford to lose more than six games to make the playoffs, but the Premiership isn't won in September. Keep the faith
You are spot on, however last season Chiefs looked like they would come good, after the Bath game I wasn't worried, but after Saints I thought we were awful and gut less
God created rugby so footballers have heros too
BFG
Super User
Super User

Post by BFG »

Scott11 wrote: Mon Sep 11, 2017 10:07 am It's not a small tight five either,it's more a case of coaching and form imo. Constantly losing lineout ball is a massive problem and needs to be stamped out immediately! The yardage made by the tight five bar Genge is pathetic too. Big changes needed this week!
It's not a big tight five.
How hard a side is having to work will affect everything, that affects fitness, fitness affects form, form affects confidence etc etc.
There's are so many facets to the game to consider that impact one another.
The league looks really competitive this year, it'll be up and down for a few sides, maintaining it for 80 is hard enough let alone a season.
Leicester have managed about 20 minutes against Bath.
TheRock

Post by TheRock »

BFG wrote: Mon Sep 11, 2017 11:05 am
Scott11 wrote: Mon Sep 11, 2017 10:07 am It's not a small tight five either,it's more a case of coaching and form imo. Constantly losing lineout ball is a massive problem and needs to be stamped out immediately! The yardage made by the tight five bar Genge is pathetic too. Big changes needed this week!
How hard a side is having to work will affect everything, that affects fitness, fitness affects form, form affects confidence etc etc.
The league looks really competitive this year, it'll be up and down for a few sides, maintaining it for 80 is hard enough let alone a season.
Our second row of barrow and Kitchener were about as physical as George ford.
Lineout and maul down to coaching, physicality in attack and defence down to personnel.
BFG
Super User
Super User

Post by BFG »

TheRock wrote: Mon Sep 11, 2017 11:09 am
BFG wrote: Mon Sep 11, 2017 11:05 am
Our second row of barrow and Kitchener were about as physical as George ford.
Lineout and maul down to coaching, physicality in attack and defence down to personnel.
Yes I agree, bar Genge and Cole who at least went looking for a scrap on Saturday it's not got much natural aggression in that pack at all in fact I'd go as far to say that Thompstone is one of our most physical characters and he is a winger.
I shouldn't really forget Williams who has something also but has yet to fully get back from his injury issues.
wellstiger
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by wellstiger »

For me Thacker stood up and made an impact when he came on both he and Genge looked Tigerish.
Tamoua looked like a virgin at a brothel and obviously needs to bed in.
Other squad members need to step up to the plate and play to their potential consistently. Then we may dig ourselves into a better position.
Basics have been lacking and players need to look inwardly.
As in other posts I believe players off form should be dropped to A team and earn their jersey.
Competition for jersey should change mind set. Irrespective of injured players earn the right to be a Tiger.
Coops
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Coops »

A question, and hopefully a valid one:

If we lose to Gloucester, what happens?

MoC says “Now we’ve got another home game and another opportunity to fix those the wrongs.” But what if those "wrongs" can't be righted? Does he continue? Board were quick to ditch Cockers when it didn't go right.
BFG
Super User
Super User

Post by BFG »

Coops wrote: Mon Sep 11, 2017 12:12 pm A question, and hopefully a valid one:

MoC says “Now we’ve got another home game and another opportunity to fix those the wrongs.” But what if those "wrongs" can't be righted? Does he continue? Board were quick to ditch Cockers when it didn't go right.
I didn't agree with sacking coaches mid-season before and still don't.
Despite everything I still fancy Leicester to win at home against Gloucester.
The will get a win eventually and I'd put money on it this week, I have doubts that'll it continue for long though.
Top four could be a struggle!
TigerCam
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerCam »

Coops wrote: Mon Sep 11, 2017 12:12 pm A question, and hopefully a valid one:

[/quote

As MOC says:

"but the beautiful thing is that there are 20 games to go." Don't what he is on but I sure hope he sobers up soon? If we lose to Glaws, and there is every chance of that happening, its 0 -3 and Cohen needs to take a really hard look in the mirror and get a set of coaches, especially forward/defence, that really do know what they are doing. The players are in place. Plenty of talent and experience, just confused by the lack of direction.
Whoever said "one person cannot change the world' never ate undercooked bat