Living in the Past!

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

johnthegriff
Super User
Super User

Re: Living in the Past!

Post by johnthegriff »

The myth that Tigers only won by shove it up your jumper methods is belied by the fact that consistently our backs have scored tries, be lt Cusworth, Dodge etc or the Underwood brothers, Healey, Howard, Murphy, Varndell or Alex Tuilagi and many others we have scored tries from anywhere. The difference was that when we had to we could win by mauling the ball over the line, I think win ugly is the phrase.
The decision to go recruit George Ford was taken early last season before Freddie was playing as well as he did in the latter part, I agree we could do with a few top international quality players in the back five, it has been Tiger's way to create these players rather than buying them in as established stars, we could be in the process and near to doing this again but we are all judging on two matches, it could be we will still not be happy after Saturday but even that is still too early.
Scott MOC is a Southern Hemisphere coach, there have been several foreign coaches in the Premiership some have been successful some not. Last years Anglo Welsh victory was not down to Aaron Mauger it was the assistant coaches Murphy, Allen and Deacon who deserve the credit for that.
Mauger might develop into a great coach but to change the system radically whilst still trying to compete at the top of the Premiership was a big ask. Coaching Tigers is a massive job, being a former player or coach does not qualify anyone for the position nor should it preclude anybody, you should simply be the best person available at the time.
ellis9
Super User
Super User

Post by ellis9 »

Scott11 wrote: Wed Sep 13, 2017 5:07 pm Who said i didn't like it? But it was stale and Cockers was regressing,a new direction/injection was needed which happened and there were green shoots including a happy squad in God knows how long. Either Mauger should've been kept on or money shouldn't have been an option and we should've scoured the world for a world class coach (sounds strangely familiar),we did neither and we are now left with this mess! No identity at all due to a bungling board who at the last minute bottled it!
Although I disagree re Cockerill and the whole scenario really, this is why we have moved on to a different style. Well, trying to. We are not playing the Tigers way.
Scott11
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Scott11 »

MOC is a SH coach,so is Gatland,your point? If you really think we are performing badly because we are playing the SH way then I don't know what to say.
And Mauger deserves no credit for last season? Hahaha! Forget it now I can't be bothered anymore! as for your last sentence lol,you think MOC really got the job becaise he was the best available?! He got the job exactly because he was an ex Tigers coach,the same as everyone on the coaching staff lol,that's my point :censored:!
Noddy555
Super User
Super User

Post by Noddy555 »

Perhaps those living in the past should try it themselves. It's the here and right now that matters. Any team living on past victories are sure for an early decline.
BFG
Super User
Super User

Post by BFG »

Scott11 wrote: Wed Sep 13, 2017 6:37 pm MOC is a SH coach,so is Gatland,your point? If you really think we are performing badly because we are playing the SH way then I don't know what to say.
And Mauger deserves no credit for last season? Hahaha! Forget it now I can't be bothered anymore! as for your last sentence lol,you think MOC really got the job becaise he was the best available?! He got the job exactly because he was an ex Tigers coach,the same as everyone on the coaching staff lol,that's my point :censored:!
You are wasting your time on some Scott!
I should let the season pan out and then judge, I have a horrible feeling some of the bookies could be right but only time will tell!
They aren't sacking another coach mid-season, hopefully, if they do that'll mean something has not gone very well at all and we don't want that!
Although I can't agree with you fully on your opinion on Cockers, I think there is always a place for someone of that type in a rugby club especially up front, there seems to be a complete ignorance almost bordering on institutional that for example Billy V was just a 21 year old out of Wasps academy when Sarries SH coach signed him up two years after beating us to the Premiership trophy.
Leicester will be scratting around trying to cover warm backsides for quite a while longer until the penny finally drops at this rate!
Robespierre
Super User
Super User

Post by Robespierre »

It is regrettable to see that some posters are jumping on the doom and gloom bandwagon after only two matches (ok, and two defeats).
Now, if it was December and wins are far and few between, then there would justifiably be cause for concern, but the season is young so get behind the team and give them your support. The home game against Glaws should be spicy to say the least, and in my humble opinion, a Tigers' win can be expected.
We Tigers' fans have been used to success over the years (and I go back a long time!) and quite rightly, we expect the same every season, but the standard of Premiership rugby has steadily improved and the quality of other clubs has come on leaps and bounds, which is great for English rugby in general.
O'Connor has not been long in charge and it'll take a bit of time for him to make his mark, so let's be patient and see what comes over the next couple of months.
Semper in excretia
ellis9
Super User
Super User

Post by ellis9 »

johnthegriff
Super User
Super User

Post by johnthegriff »

Scott I did not say Mauger deserves no credit for last season, I said the Anglo Welsh was not down to him, it was down to Murphy, Deacon and Allen as they were the ones coaching that team not Mauger and not Cocker. Aarron Mauger like Cocker deserves credit or blame for last season, one was Director of Rugby one was Head Coach, Hansen was Mauger's appointment as skills and defence coach between them things did not work, they are now all gone. The point I was trying to make was that good coaches are not exclusive to the Southern Hemisphere and whilst I don't think having a former Tigers connection should bar a coach from the job it should only be a small factor in an appointment. I have no idea who else was available when MOC was a given the role, the fact that he had been previously been recruited to Tigers by Meyer and remained with Cocker to turn things around after Meyer departed to me was a point in his favour. As I have said previously I will make my judgement later in the season not after a couple of games, I want to see signs of improvement and I want to see young players progressing and the Tigers being serious contenders for the two main trophies.