Living in the Past!

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Scott11
Gold Member
Gold Member

Living in the Past!

Post by Scott11 »

I do apologize to Griff and Ellis for sometimes going off on one but I am a passionate fan like everyone else,we all have our ideas why our club is where it is,how it got there and who is responsible but let me tell you where I am.
Last season was a mess,defence coach sacked,DOR sacked,maulings in some games,walkouts at WR in the Glasgow game but where did it finish? 4th again and with a cup,won with a heroic defensive display against Exeter,a team who had comfortably beaten us twice that season,that after beating another team who had beaten us twice that season. Ok it wasn't their first XV but it wasn't ours either. But most of all it was won with a smile on the players faces,a huge black cloud had been lifted at WR and the players were enjoying their rugby again. Then we almost beat Wasps again at the Ricoh in the AP after coming close there earlier in the season,that after being crushed at home earlier in the season.
So we've got a cup,our performances are getting better,our defence is fixed and what happens? Mauger sacked the day after winning a cup! Nice one board,just how to treat people! But it's ok,Cohen is on BT " money isn't an option,the world is being scoured,the recruitment consultants that delivered Eddie to England are on the case" Exciting times ahead? Er nope! All of a sudden it changes to "has to have AP experience"! That rules out world class then. But it's the Tigers way,MOC was here when we were England's best,we will be ok! The Tigers way? Finished! I'm not saying Mauger would've worked but he deserved a chance and even in getting rid of him the board bottled it and went back to the "Tigers way" when we had the chance to do something special,well you reap what you sow!
Stephen18
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Re: Living in the Past!

Post by Stephen18 »

I agree with a lot of what your saying the board are the main issue spending money on the wrong things, then treating fans like idiots who won't notice. George ford when it was flat what was needed was a world class 8 and reinforcement in the centres. Buying land for hotels that will bloke the view of the stand they spent so much money on and building new stands when they didn't sell out for the game agains one of our oldest rivals. Signing up with inferior kit suppliers. And then trying to by success from the Southern Hemispheres rather than investing in the development teams.
CJ
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by CJ »

After about 60 years of support, I have grave doubts about our future. Never thought I'd say that . Agree with so much of what you say. Depressed doesn't do it justice.
Scott11
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Scott11 »

And I'm fully aware MOC presided over our end of season but according to sources he had very little input and left the coaches to their own devices for the most part which would make sense with him coming in so late. His methods would've just clouded the issue. The conspiracy theorist in me says Mauger was binned when he was in case he won the AP and the board had to give him the job! Why would Cohen lie otherwise? MOC was already lined up imo!
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

Agree with you on most fronts, however:
I can't think of big number 8s available, B Vunipola (like most of their stars) r prob paid more than Sarries state in their books, and I feel we signed what was available to us.
We are in Dire need of a multi-storey car park but I get ur point about the hotel, I know that money isn't in the players fund but it should be, and y waste that money on a hotel when they can redevelop the Crumbie instead.
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
Roly
Super User
Super User

Post by Roly »

JP14 wrote: Sun Sep 10, 2017 10:20 pm Agree with you on most fronts, however:
I can't think of big number 8s available, B Vunipola (like most of their stars) r prob paid more than Sarries state in their books, and I feel we signed what was available to us.
We are in Dire need of a multi-storey car park but I get ur point about the hotel, I know that money isn't in the players fund but it should be, and y waste that money on a hotel when they can redevelop the Crumbie instead.
And yet there are certain 'players' that have been warming the bench for two years and costing the club a fortune in the process. Go figure.
“It is no use saying, ‘We are doing our best.’ You have got to succeed in doing what is necessary.” Sir Winston Churchill.
BFG
Super User
Super User

Post by BFG »

It depends which pieces of the past you reckon are finished Scott.
If it's the more recent jobs for the boys and you scratch my back then yes I agree.
We could do worse than some old Tigers fight, in fact we are!
Whether you rated him or not all must now know that at least Cockerill had that grit.
I can't honestly work out how Leicester could get anywhere near the salary cap with these players.
ellis9
Super User
Super User

Post by ellis9 »

The title of this thread says it all.

We were the best in England and Europe. Times have now changed and there are clubs a lot richer than us and clubs who allegedly break the salary cap. We cannot compete with that. We have to accept that titles and cups are going to be less frequent.
Coops
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Coops »

CJ wrote: Sun Sep 10, 2017 6:53 pm After about 60 years of support, I have grave doubts about our future. Never thought I'd say that . Agree with so much of what you say. Depressed doesn't do it justice.
Shouldn't necessarily be happening as a ST holder but I'm now questioning whether I can be bothered to come and watch Tigers.
sapajo
Super User
Super User

Post by sapajo »

Coops wrote: Mon Sep 11, 2017 9:07 am
CJ wrote: Sun Sep 10, 2017 6:53 pm After about 60 years of support, I have grave doubts about our future. Never thought I'd say that . Agree with so much of what you say. Depressed doesn't do it justice.
Shouldn't necessarily be happening as a ST holder but I'm now questioning whether I can be bothered to come and watch Tigers.
I empathise, if the coaches, players and board continue to talk the walk and take my hard earned cash then why should I be bothered? Tigers is now nothing more than a marketing brand. It's famous brand of rugby has sadly long gone.
Without hope we are nothing, keep the faith, a Tiger for eternity
Roly
Super User
Super User

Post by Roly »

ellis9 wrote: Mon Sep 11, 2017 8:49 am The title of this thread says it all.

We were the best in England and Europe. Times have now changed and there are clubs a lot richer than us and clubs who allegedly break the salary cap. We cannot compete with that. We have to accept that titles and cups are going to be less frequent.
Stop trying to blame the success of other clubs on breaking the salary cap. If breaking the salary cap were the reason, then how do you explain the success of Chiefs?

The answer is, you can't.

Tigers should be able to compete with any team in the AP, or indeed Europe. They can't compete because they lack nouse, cohesion, an obvious gameplan and dare I say it - commitment. It has very little to do with money. Apart from what they're paying that sicknote Tuilagi.
“It is no use saying, ‘We are doing our best.’ You have got to succeed in doing what is necessary.” Sir Winston Churchill.
Scott11
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Scott11 »

Correct Roly! Folk won't admit it but it's the "Tigers way" thats killing us,the constant recruiting from within! The Chance was there,you could smell it in the air,Cohen was on board then something happened and the board bottled it. Are our board like Will Carling's RFU boring old farts? Looks that way!
wellstiger
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by wellstiger »

Tigers should be able to compete with any team in the AP, or indeed Europe. They can't compete because they lack nouse, cohesion, an obvious gameplan and dare I say it - commitment. It has very little to do with money. Apart from what they're paying that sicknote Tuilagi.
[/quote]

200% Agree Roly

Good players do not become bad overnight. Our good players have become bad season after season which makes me believe something is more wrong off field.
Our "so called" average players that have transfered away have all progressed and added something to their new respective teams.
kend
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by kend »

IMHO it's not the salary cap per se, it is that more teams have the resources to pay up to the cap. The combination of capping the spend (which will have a levelling effect) and available finance has made it much more competitive at the top end. In the past there were generally two sides who were better resourced than the rest, now you have perhaps six?

I was wondering which version of the past you were thinking of. It's worth remembering that Tigers won nothing for years in the 2000s. It hasn't always been champagne and roses. Some of my father's old friends thought the rot set in in 1956.....
ellis9
Super User
Super User

Post by ellis9 »

Scott11 wrote: Mon Sep 11, 2017 10:13 am Correct Roly! Folk won't admit it but it's the "Tigers way" thats killing us,the constant recruiting from within! The Chance was there,you could smell it in the air,Cohen was on board then something happened and the board bottled it. Are our board like Will Carling's RFU boring old farts? Looks that way!
How do you explain the poor start to the season? We are trying to play the complete opposite to the Tigers way and have lost both games.

Saracens and Exeter play the Tigers way. Keeping it tight, using the forwards to gain momentum and playing in the right areas and then exploiting the weaknesses. It may not be the champagne style people want but it's god damn successful!