Tigers Vs Gloucester

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

TigerCam
Super User
Super User

Re: Tigers Vs Gloucester

Post by TigerCam »

MrPartridge wrote: Sun Sep 17, 2017 5:10 pm Easy 5 points for us next week then after Quins 24-21 win at Wasps today! Smith at 10 looks some prospect. Not sure if next week is a bigger test for him or Ford!
Yeah right? Given the Tigers persistent wish to play 'run-around rugby' with any structure gone 'walk-about', I cannot IMO see the Tigers even getting a LBP?
Whoever said "one person cannot change the world' never ate undercooked bat
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

Despite a potential loss of Joe Marler, Quins will be really backing themselves because they're on the back of a great win and are at home. Tigers need to want the game more than Quins, against a superb James Horwill need to be 100% times better in the lineout and get Williams, Barrow and Mapapalangi breaking the line strongly for Youngs and Ford to set up good platforms. Hopefully Owen fit for debut next week, looking forward to see what he brings.
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
Bristol Tiger
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by Bristol Tiger »

ellis9 wrote: Sat Sep 16, 2017 9:21 pm
strawclearer wrote: Sat Sep 16, 2017 9:09 pm
cowmadiddy wrote: Sat Sep 16, 2017 9:03 pm Plus all teams in the premiership lost a game in their first 2 - it's an exciting season this year with some great teams - I couldn't pick the top 4 yet.
Except for Wasps.

And Newcastle.

:smt003
Neither did Bath.

So a quarter of the league didn't lose a game in the opening 2 rounds.
But all of the teams in the league have lost a game in the first three rounds, and only one team hasn't won one yet. Does seem to be a more unpredictable season than ever before.
Noddy555
Super User
Super User

Post by Noddy555 »

Yes next weeks task looks harder after today but I thought Quins were extremely lucky for not having Marler yellow carded in the incident with Haskell. I thought both players were equally to blame. Again the standard of refereeing was extremely poor as in our game with Gloucester. The younger referees I think 3 in all who have been brought into the list this season have not impressed me one bit. Oh for Barnes, Owens and Doyle and I'd never imagined myself saying this but how I miss them.
Roly
Super User
Super User

Post by Roly »

Well, a win is a step in the right direction.

Before the match, if someone had offered you that full time score, I think the majority of Tigers supporters would have taken that. But the result leaves a bitter taste.

For the first 25 minutes, Tigers were too hot to handle - but then spent the next 50 minutes doing everything they could to mess it up. A bonus point win should have been a given. Glaws were terrible in that first period, had they played like they did for the remainder of the game for 80 minutes, the result would have been different methinks.

The lineout still looks like it meets for the first time in the carpark before each match. The scrum creaked louder than one of Nelson's ships. Ford's tactical kicking was definitely suspect. I thought Quins were pretty good value for their win v Wasps yesterday - because they closed down the dangerous Wasps backline when it mattered. Tigers place much emphasis on their new 'running style' of rugby, Quins will certainly have the measure of them.

Ed slater had a great game for Tigers...

The lineout must function next week if Tigers are to avoid a comfortable loss.
“It is no use saying, ‘We are doing our best.’ You have got to succeed in doing what is necessary.” Sir Winston Churchill.
Chobbsy
Super User
Super User

Post by Chobbsy »

JP14 wrote: Sun Sep 17, 2017 5:38 pm Despite a potential loss of Joe Marler, Quins will be really backing themselves because they're on the back of a great win and are at home. Tigers need to want the game more than Quins, against a superb James Horwill need to be 100% times better in the lineout and get Williams, Barrow and Mapapalangi breaking the line strongly for Youngs and Ford to set up good platforms. Hopefully Owen fit for debut next week, looking forward to see what he brings.
Sinkler v Genge WOW !!!!
God created rugby so footballers have heros too
BFG
Super User
Super User

Post by BFG »

Some seem to be licking their lips at the prospect of a heavy Tigers loss away at Quins.
Of course they are keeping their options open at the same time, if Tigers don't do this and if Quins do that, we'll blow me aren't they clever, I would never have guessed it all possible!
It's an away game, Quins will be favourites for sure but no change there but they had an immensely physical game against Wasps yesterday so the pressure is on them to repeat that in a few days.
A Tigers win is needed but the pressure is off Leicester a little for this one, expectations aren't much so I'm hopeful that they can get something.
Leicester need to stay in the game for Quins, not blow themselves out by half time and hopefully McGuigan is fit and the forward bench cover will take Lambert and Co.
Same as for Leicester and I'd be tempted to go a 6/2 forwards/backs bench split after Quins exerts yesterday, and take away any concerns about blowing out too early to go for it.
strawclearer
Super User
Super User

Post by strawclearer »

'RUCK' Team of the Week for Round 3 includes 4 Tigers - Dan Cole, Ben Youngs, Mike Williams and Matt Smith. :smt038
Happy days clearing straw from the pitch before the Baa-Baas games! KBO
Wear a Mask>Protect The NHS>Save Lives
wellstiger
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by wellstiger »

For me Tigers need to play this one compact and kick for field position - Keep pinging them back
Keep a solid defensive line and try not to run at every opportunity.
I fear for our lineout and we will be matched at scrum time. So no easy penalties.
It will come down to a battle of nerves but I have faith in the boys to scrape a" W"

Mr Ford I fear will have to earn his keep and keep the score board ticking and make touch rather than kick back to a good counter attacking team.
Tomvarndell
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by Tomvarndell »

As an earlier post alluded to, the loss of Matt Toomua made a massive difference to the game. I just hope he's available for Quinns. He was in the process of putting in a massive performance when he went off on Saturday and looks like he might be getting better the more game time he gets.
ourla
Super User
Super User

Post by ourla »

Quins are nothing if not inconsistent. So them winning at Wasps doesn't concern me. Especially given the nature of it.

I actually quite fancy us for this one.
Tiglon
Super User
Super User

Post by Tiglon »

We'll be playing a Quins team who shipped nearly 40 points to L. Irish in round one, so it will depend which Quins team and which Tigers team turn up - both are capable of playing very well and very badly.