16.Mahoney
17.Thacker
18.Mulipola
19.Wells
20.Kalamafoni
21.Harrison
22.J.Ford
23.Holmes
I agree with the swap around of centres inside to out and vice versa but for me the back row is far too lightweight
I see Williams/Barrow being our best lock combination long term - both young, big and aggressive with the potential to play good rugby! I then wanted Evans for turnovers, Hamilton for ball carrying and Croft for the lineout. I'd actually like to see Kalamafoni as our 6 long-term.
Happy days clearing straw from the pitch before the Baa-Baas games! KBO
Wear a Mask>Protect The NHS>Save Lives
BG01

Re: Tigers Vs Gloucester

Post by BG01 »

I'm surprised people aren't mentioning the most obvious option (assuming BOC and Ryan are out) - bringing in Croft at 7.

He's played there a lot, and adds lineout expertise while allowing us to have Hamilton and Kalamafoni as big bruisers at 6 and 8.

Something like this works for me (assuming Youngs, BOC, Ryan, Brady, Cilliers, Kitchener all still out):

1. Genge
2. Thacker
3. Cole
4. Williams
5. Barrow
6. Hamilton
7. Croft
8. Kalamafoni
9. Youngs
10.G.Ford
11.May
12.Toomua
13.Smith
14.Veainu
15.Tait

16.Bateman
17.Mulipola
18.Betts
19.Wells
20.Evans
21.Harrison
22.J.Ford
23.Malouf
Never believe generalisations
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

BG01 wrote: Wed Sep 13, 2017 4:33 pm I'm surprised people aren't mentioning the most obvious option (assuming BOC and Ryan are out) - bringing in Croft at 7.

He's played there a lot, and adds lineout expertise while allowing us to have Hamilton and Kalamafoni as big bruisers at 6 and 8.

Something like this works for me (assuming Youngs, BOC, Ryan, Brady, Cilliers, Kitchener all still out):
MOC reckons that Youngs could be fit for Saturday but I would have him on the bench.
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
Scott11
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Scott11 »

I mentioned it yesterday BG,good shout!
Spicer
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Spicer »

I think we miss McCaffrey. With him and O'connor we had two guys who were useful at the breakdown.

That's why I disagree with Croft at 7. I don't feel we then have any players who are consistently good on the floor. That's why I think we need Evans on the pitch with O'Connor injured.

Thus I'd go for:
Genge
Thacker
Cole
Barrow
Williams
Croft
Evans
Hamilton
Youngs
Ford
May
Toomua
Smith
Brady
Veaniu

Youngs (partially fit?)
Mulipola
Bateman
Wells
Kalamafoni
Harrison
Ford
Tait

From what it said in the paper Tom is a slight doubt. Honestly I've been unimpressed with Kalamafoni so far, although I've been unimpressed by everyone so far. Both Brady and Holmes have played A league and are now fit I think, Malouf has made to many errors.
Noddy555
Super User
Super User

Post by Noddy555 »

Mark62 You show your limited knowledge of the game by your infantile post. Numbers 6,7 and 8 are known as the back line of the forwards. Perhaps you should read your scribblings before posting them,
Downsouth

Post by Downsouth »

For me, almost all of the sides names here would have a better chance than the one we played last week and should beat Gloucester. It is telling that there are not many automatic starters; I would say Genge, Cole, Barrow, B Youngs, Ford, Toomua, May, Veainu.

If McGuigan were fit, I would start with him, but I suspect it will be Youngs, or Thacker if Youngs is not fit.
In the second row, I would be happy with Wells, but Williams could also be a good shout.
Back row is tricky and needs to be balanced, assuming O'Connor is out, I would quite like to see Hamilton, Evans and Mapapalangi - but would expect Kalamafoni to start instead. Croft would be worth a place on the bench.
At outside centre, if Owen is fit, surely he has to play.
On the wing, it Brady or Thompstone (unlikely I guess) are fit, then play them, if not put Tait to full back
Clowbeck
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by Clowbeck »

Noddy555 wrote: Wed Sep 13, 2017 6:59 pm Mark62 You show your limited knowledge of the game by your infantile post. Numbers 6,7 and 8 are known as the back line of the forwards. Perhaps you should read your scribblings before posting them,
:smt009
Timmers
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by Timmers »

I would leave the backs as they are and give them at least 2 more games as a consistent unit unless injuries occur. Teams are based on working together and attacks are neutralised without quick ball. Two changes in the front for me. Craft and Thacker to start although I doubt O'Connor will make it following his hammy problem.
Tait for smith / toumma after 60.
Vienu is generally pretty good under high ball but had a shocker last week, and yes, he needs to mix up the counter with some kicking, which he is capable of. If we don't win this one it will be one of the worst starts to the season in a long time. Play offs are going t b tough this year because there's been too much focus on the backs and not enough investment up front.
Clowbeck
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by Clowbeck »

Timmers wrote: Wed Sep 13, 2017 7:29 pm
Vienu is generally pretty good under high ball but had a shocker last week, and yes, he needs to mix up the counter with some kicking, which he is capable of.
Vienu is a known threat this season, team are ready for him to try and duck and weave through defence. You're absolutely right, some strategic kicking is required to add another dimension to his game; pains me to say it as love to see the lad have a go.
Mark62
Super User
Super User

Post by Mark62 »

Noddy555 wrote: Wed Sep 13, 2017 6:59 pm Mark62 You show your limited knowledge of the game by your infantile post. Numbers 6,7 and 8 are known as the back line of the forwards. Perhaps you should read your scribblings before posting them,
Noddy yet again you show yourself up, ITS CALLED THE BACK ROW, as in front row second row back row.
Mark62
Super User
Super User

Post by Mark62 »

It is amazing that I respond to being told I have a limited knowledge and making infantile scribblings and my response, is censored and yet the almost libellous original post remains unaltered.

No wonder we're 0 from 2
Grimlish
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Grimlish »

When players like Ben are saying on Twitter words to the effect of 'just give me some front-foot ball' then we know that they share our (largely) common opinion and know what's wrong. Doing that on the pitch is what matters though. Gonna be interesting on Saturday whether they can convert the potential into performance - if not the pressure will be on BIG TIME - Quins away followed by Chiefs at our isnt it? I dont fancy a 5 & 0 start to the season...(and I'm not usually a pessimist).
Scott11
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Scott11 »

Don't forget we got a TBP at home to Gloc,won at Quin's but got zero home to Chiefs. Does anyone think we will get 9 points in the next 3? We are already 7 points down on last season's fixtures,we could be well behind last season already after 5 games!
Noddy555
Super User
Super User

Post by Noddy555 »

My Team for Saturday dependent on injury would be:

15, Veianu. 14. Thompstone. 13.Holmes. 12.Toomua. 11. May. 10. George Ford. 9. Ben Youngs.

1. Ellis Genge. 2. Tom Youngs or Thacker. 3, Dan Cole. 4.Barrow. 5,Kitchener. 6.Croft. 7, O'Connor. 8.Hamilton.

Subs: 16.Thacker or Mcguigan. 17, Bateman. 18. Mullipola. 19,Williams. 20. Evans.

back subs: 21.Harrison. 22, Smith. 23, Tait,

If we can field anything close to this team then I think we will come away with 5 sorely needed points.