Injury Curse Strikes yet again

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

ourla
Super User
Super User

Re: Injury Curse Strikes yet again

Post by ourla »

I think first and foremost there should be a lot of sympathy for the man. Sure, he is not short of a bob or two and there a people suffering far more in the world. But just imagine how you would be feeling in his sitation right now.

Second. Any talk of "getting rid" seems to me to be knee jerk (pardon the pun) and premature. Manu himself will know that this can't go on. For his own sanity as much as anything he can't handle another extended period on the sideline. And by that I mean longer than estimated for this injury. If he was 30 he would be considering retirement. But he isn't and it is too early to consider that.

Third. We do have other centre options and this is a chance for them to shine. We almost made it to a Prem final without Manu. Let's be positive - it's a long season.
Scott11
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Scott11 »

Planning around a period of absence for TNT has happened?! Has it? Owen in for Williams,Mermoz,Roberts and Bethany,not for me!
Chobbsy
Super User
Super User

Post by Chobbsy »

God created rugby so footballers have heros too
BFG
Super User
Super User

Post by BFG »

Leicester have options but none possess that bit extra IMO, they have strength, they have pace and they have some creativity but none all together, it's a concern they will be exposed and with the forward pack not quite being where it should be in the first game Leicester are going to have to work extremely hard for every single point.
Malouf was a good mention and if he has played there a bit already, very fast and very physical, see if he can play and hopefully add some edge.
strawclearer
Super User
Super User

Post by strawclearer »

sapajo wrote: Thu Sep 07, 2017 7:57 am Crocked list (that we know) post 1st game of the season.

Manu
Fitzgerald
Cilliers
Thompstone
Brady
Presumably, Gareth Owen will slot straight in as cover at 12/13? I've not heard that he's injured and, at 28, he's at his peak so surely this is just what he was recruited for!
Happy days clearing straw from the pitch before the Baa-Baas games! KBO
Wear a Mask>Protect The NHS>Save Lives
westwinds31
Super User
Super User

Post by westwinds31 »

Roly wrote: Thu Sep 07, 2017 7:55 am
westwinds31 wrote: Wed Sep 06, 2017 8:55 pm 3 months minimum without our first choice 13...incredible
How is Tuilagi the team's 1st Choice 13? They've managed without him for near on 2 years - one game back and the laminated sick chit is out again.
It's pretty simple, he's the best 13 at the club, so if fit, he's the first choice.
Grimlish
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Grimlish »

Scott11 wrote: Thu Sep 07, 2017 10:52 am Planning around a period of absence for TNT has happened?! Has it? Owen in for Williams,Mermoz,Roberts and Bethany,not for me!
Except Williams was a 10 covering 12, Mermoz was injury cover, Betham underperformed last season hugely and Roberts ain't that different from Thacker.
Scott11
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Scott11 »

Regardless,they are all better options than we have now. If we lose Toomua too we are in trouble!
Roly
Super User
Super User

Post by Roly »

Grimlish wrote: Thu Sep 07, 2017 9:07 am A lot of players get knee ligament damage - it's easily done - I did something similar in a white-out on a ski slope. Can't see why everyone wants to jump on his back. He's not done anything wrong and he won't be out for so very long. Give the guy a break - he needs it.
Knowing that sick note, a break will be his next injury, two weeks after returning from the last one.
“It is no use saying, ‘We are doing our best.’ You have got to succeed in doing what is necessary.” Sir Winston Churchill.
Roly
Super User
Super User

Post by Roly »

doublecarpet wrote: Thu Sep 07, 2017 9:33 am
Grimlish wrote: Thu Sep 07, 2017 9:07 am A lot of players get knee ligament damage - it's easily done - I did something similar in a white-out on a ski slope. Can't see why everyone wants to jump on his back. He's not done anything wrong and he won't be out for so very long. Give the guy a break - he needs it.
I think the most angst or frustration is aimed at the recruitment policy that put faith in a fully fit Manu for 9 months when history tells us he's likely to stay fit for 9 days. To go into the second game of the season without a viable alternative of sorts is poor management IMO.
Funny thing is, if I said that, it'd be trolling. Apparently.
“It is no use saying, ‘We are doing our best.’ You have got to succeed in doing what is necessary.” Sir Winston Churchill.
Scott11
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Scott11 »

Let's just pray one of these possible ins is a 13 or even better a 12/13 hybrid!
Roly
Super User
Super User

Post by Roly »

westwinds31 wrote: Thu Sep 07, 2017 11:24 am
westwinds31 wrote: Wed Sep 06, 2017 8:55 pm 3 months minimum without our first choice 13...incredible
How is Tuilagi the team's 1st Choice 13? They've managed without him for near on 2 years - one game back and the laminated sick chit is out again.
It's pretty simple, he's the best 13 at the club, so if fit, he's the first choice.
If he's the best 13 the club has, after nearly 2 years out, then it speaks volumes about the club's recruitment policy.
Grimlish
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Grimlish »

Roly wrote: Thu Sep 07, 2017 12:11 pm
Knowing that sick note, a break will be his next injury, two weeks after returning from the last one.
Usually I think your comments swerve between the irritatingly obtuse and self-important nonsense. This time I think you are simply being nasty.
maroontrunks
Tiger Cub

Post by maroontrunks »

Roly wrote: Thu Sep 07, 2017 12:17 pm
westwinds31 wrote: Thu Sep 07, 2017 11:24 am

If he's the best 13 the club has, after nearly 2 years out, then it speaks volumes about the club's recruitment policy.
You begrudge the club for expecting a homegrown player who has the potential to be the world's best player in his position to be first choice if fit? At this stage we don't know if Tuilagi's continued injury problems are the result of an underlying fragility or just plain bad luck, but if we simply threw out players every time they got injured what kind of a squad would we have?
It's much harder to come up with a list of top players who have never had a medium to long term injury than those that have, it's the nature of the sport.
ourla
Super User
Super User

Post by ourla »

Del Potro, who has just reached the US Open semi's has had wrist surgery four times