Come off if injured.

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

BFG
Super User
Super User

Re: Come off if injured.

Post by BFG »

Scott11 wrote: Tue Sep 05, 2017 8:16 pm The physicality and failed scrummaging Is complete :censored: sprouted out by people who don't like him,our scrum has been took to pieces far more times when TY has hooked and thats a fact!
It's only been taken to pieces by the really big teams which has been few and far between and it has been equally good against some others, the rest has been six and half a dozen.
Scrum penalties are points, possession and territory and tire down opposition physically and mentally whilst saving the rest of your own teams legs at the same time.
Leicester are having to work much harder elsewhere than ever before and it shows, they make handling mistakes and lose concentration, fatigue.
The league is so competitive now and anyone can beat anyone on their day, fine margins like scrum penalties really matter.
Scott11
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Scott11 »

Its more than just Thacker,We struggled Sunday v Baths 3rd choice TH,second choice hooker and 3rd choice LH with no Attwood in the engine room either who Is by far there best scrummaging lock! Mulipola can't scrimmage either imo and should be used as an impact player.
BFG
Super User
Super User

Post by BFG »

Scott11 wrote: Tue Sep 05, 2017 9:25 pm Its more than just Thacker,We struggled Sunday v Baths 3rd choice TH,second choice hooker and 3rd choice LH with no Attwood in the engine room either who Is by far there best scrummaging lock! Mulipola can't scrimmage either imo and should be used as an impact player.
Absolutely agree it's more than just Thacker, it's an eight man job, but there is absolutely no room for liberties at this level anymore, Bath showed that and as you suggest it wasn't their first choice front row.
Leicester need to be maximising their potential in this area and not limiting it IMO.
I think Mulipola is a better LH, he can play TH and to be fair he has also been out for a while.

I'd add Scott regarding your previous comment "spouted by people who don't like him", you leave my reasoning open to misinterpretation, pound for pound he is a better player than many others, but unfortunately this is the heavyweight division and there is no escaping that where he plays!
big john
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by big john »

If you watched the game and also took on board the comments from Oz and Ben Kay post game (if you watched on telly) the issues with the line-out was far more if not almost all down to very poor 2nd row play, a lot of comments about "2nd rows just flapping at the ball rather than catching it" maybe the tactics had been more about tap downs rather than catching but if it's not working then it should be a case of catch it rather than lose it.

The biggest issues for roles like Hooker and Scrum Half is that the players around your role can make you look great but can also make you look really poor.

I remember a Scotland Vs England game Johnny Wilkinson got Man of the match with a great show but this was more down to Harry Ellis having one of his best games ever and made Wilko much better, Wilko even said post game whe he got MOM that it was down to Harry making him look good.

Its very harsh to judge Tom Youngs based on poor 2nd rows.

We look a bit weak at lock and Kitch just doesn't seem to cut it at this level and Barrow carries well but not so good in the tight.
TTRITH
Super User
Super User

Post by TTRITH »

I think personally Harry is too small for Hooker. That being said he is the most consistent player in our squad, followed by Hamilton and Thommo.

It would not be such a problem if we had decent scruammaging locks. Our best lock packing down is Harry Wells. If our pack continues its current trend I expect to see him forcing through. You could excuse the frailty in the scrum if our second rows were astutedline out operators. Theyre not. We have one and he's a flanker, although I'd bulk him up and put him in the second row.

Barrow and Kitch need to sort themselves out, they looked lacklustre last week which I never thought I'd be accusing Barrow of, and with Fitz out surely Wells and Croft must be entering the thoughts if our pack perform like last week.

The props have looked more sturdy since Boris arrived, but the pack on a whole is poor. I don't see what Blaze brings to the table other than a nod.
Richard Burnett
:axe: :smt100
BFG
Super User
Super User

Post by BFG »

TTRITH wrote: Sat Sep 09, 2017 8:46 am I think personally Harry is too small for Hooker. That being said he is the most consistent player in our squad, followed by Hamilton and Thommo.

It would not be such a problem if we had decent scruammaging locks. Our best lock packing down is Harry Wells. If our pack continues its current trend I expect to see him forcing through. You could excuse the frailty in the scrum if our second rows were astutedline out operators. Theyre not. We have one and he's a flanker, although I'd bulk him up and put him in the second row.

Barrow and Kitch need to sort themselves out, they looked lacklustre last week which I never thought I'd be accusing Barrow of, and with Fitz out surely Wells and Croft must be entering the thoughts if our pack perform like last week.

The props have looked more sturdy since Boris arrived, but the pack on a whole is poor. I don't see what Blaze brings to the table other than a nod.
I disagree regarding consistency, all can be equally as guilty as eachother IMO.
The line outs were messy for all manner of differing reasons.
If you look at that last line out from the Bath match you'll see that the trajectory of the ball is far too low, Charteris spots it straight away and he can see it coming all day long, he doesn't even need to be lifted that high to disrupt it, the Leicester lifters and jumper get up really well but the throw gave Bath a sniff, it was a poor throw and he is too small for the highest level.
I don't really know how you can say that Wells is our best lock packing down because I have yet to see him outperform the others at this level, but I certainly would like to find out!