Come off if injured.

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

spongebillybob1
Tiger Cub

Come off if injured.

Post by spongebillybob1 »

There was a point in second half when Tom Young's got injured, medic came over and wanted him to come off but he refused and then limped away, clearly injured.
I get wanting to continue and playing through, but at professional level with a more than capable replacement is it really acceptable to damage your team in this way, especially when you are trying to fight back.
When Thacker came on he played brilliantly and if he'd come on earlier maybe we could have won it as he seemed to give team a boost.

Thoughts?
BFG
Super User
Super User

Re: Come off if injured.

Post by BFG »

Putting aside the obvious and what wasn't brilliant I am wondering what exactly Thacker did that was? :smt017
spongebillybob1
Tiger Cub

The two clean line breaks he made and all the other meters he made with his carrying... Or did you not watch him play? He played a hell of a lot better than Young's did
BFG
Super User
Super User

Post by BFG »

spongebillybob1 wrote: ↑Tue Sep 05, 2017 11:11 am The two clean line breaks he made and all the other meters he made with his carrying... Or did you not watch him play? He played a hell of a lot better than Young's did
So that was brilliant was it!
Nothing to do with Bath being down two men, and I don't suppose that Harrison or anyone else made any difference, just Thacker!
He is a bundle of energy there is no doubt about that but brilliant on Sunday, really! :smt017
spongebillybob1
Tiger Cub

Okay in case you didn't notice I was talking specific about Thacker and Youngs and Thacker was better. And really Harrison didn't get enough game time to make much difference. Thacker came on and actually started to give us front foot ball and then the rest of the forwards played better making good carries. That made all the backs play better.

And just cause you don't agree doesn't mean you need to be an :censored: and have a go at people.

Let me ask when did you last actually play a game of rugby to know what sort of difference a player coming off the bench like that can make.

IMO be better starting Thacker at weekend and have BY as captain.
Scott11
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Scott11 »

You will never convince BFG when it comes to Thacker,no point in trying! πŸ˜‰
ourla
Super User
Super User

Post by ourla »

spongebillybob1 wrote: ↑Tue Sep 05, 2017 10:20 am There was a point in second half when Tom Young's got injured, medic came over and wanted him to come off but he refused and then limped away, clearly injured.
I get wanting to continue and playing through, but at professional level with a more than capable replacement is it really acceptable to damage your team in this way, especially when you are trying to fight back.
When Thacker came on he played brilliantly and if he'd come on earlier maybe we could have won it as he seemed to give team a boost.

Thoughts?
Only Youngs and the medic know what was said. One assumes the medic wasn't concerned he would do more damage staying on. And maybe Youngs thought he could run it off. Surely you want to see your captain want to continue.

For the record I thought Thacker looked good in the loose, although I don't think Youngs had a bad game either. And has pointed out Thacker came on against a tired Bath team, etc.
spongebillybob1
Tiger Cub

Haha

It wasn't really suppose to turn into a how good Thacker thing.

It was should players come off if they are limping around when we have a perfectly good replacement?

And Ourla, I don't care if he's captain surely there are other players on field that can make decisions as was seen when he eventually came off. A good captain should know if injured and trust team to make decisions. That's what I want the captain to do. And the medic was talking to him it seemed as if he wanted him to come off to get checked more. But I get your point of only they know.
BFG
Super User
Super User

Post by BFG »

Scott11 wrote: ↑Tue Sep 05, 2017 11:40 am You will never convince BFG when it comes to Thacker,no point in trying! πŸ˜‰
Spot on Scott!
I've seen better players released for lesser frailties.
Nothing but physicality problems up front for two years. :smt015
Frustrating to watch unfold at times, so close and yet so far!
Scott11
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Scott11 »

I know,all those scrum penalty trys....Oop wrong hooker πŸ˜‚
drc_007
Super User
Super User

Post by drc_007 »

In my experience the player is the worst person to ask about coming off injured. I've known players insist on playing on with what turned out to be broken bones (including myself). The decision has to be made by the medical team.
BFG
Super User
Super User

Post by BFG »

Scott11 wrote: ↑Tue Sep 05, 2017 7:35 pm I know,all those scrum penalty trys....Oop wrong hooker πŸ˜‚
Take your pick!
I'd have McGuigan in there in a flash and that kid who scored two last night get him scrummaging with the big boys and fast track him before another season goes down the pan with wannabe forwards who failed at being backs!
drc_007
Super User
Super User

Post by drc_007 »

BFG wrote: ↑Tue Sep 05, 2017 7:56 pm
Scott11 wrote: ↑Tue Sep 05, 2017 7:35 pm I know,all those scrum penalty trys....Oop wrong hooker πŸ˜‚
Take your pick!
I'd have McGuigan in there in a flash and that kid who scored two last night get him scrummaging with the big boys and fast track him before another season goes down the pan with wannabe forwards who failed at being backs!
You do know that Harry Mahoney the hooker from the A-team used to play fly-half in junior rugby :smt002
Scott11
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Scott11 »

The physicality and failed scrummaging Is complete :censored: sprouted out by people who don't like him,our scrum has been took to pieces far more times when TY has hooked and thats a fact!
BFG
Super User
Super User

Post by BFG »

drc_007 wrote: ↑Tue Sep 05, 2017 8:04 pm
BFG wrote: ↑Tue Sep 05, 2017 7:56 pm
Take your pick!
You do know that Harry Mahoney the hooker from the A-team used to play fly-half in junior rugby :smt002
Oh my word! :smt022
It must've been very junior because I am pretty sure I saw him playing at prop!
Had a look drc and you are correct, moved at 13, first year on the full size pitch so I assume a back on half a pitch, aren't they all backs at that age or at least they should be!
Last edited by BFG on Tue Sep 05, 2017 9:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.