Saints Away

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Stephen18
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Re: Saints Away

Post by Stephen18 »

There are a lot of people on here who keep singling out Malouf to be dropped or loaned out, but yesterday I felt he was one of our better player especially in the backs doesn't miss his tackles his kick chace this week was a lot better tackling the man as soon as they caught the ball, and also able to cover back row apparently, I feel there are many other problems to address in the backs, finding a centre who offers a fret out side tamooa, stopping tamooa just running sideways and passing the ball on without drawing in any defenders and vianu learning to kick to he doesn't just keep running in to the defends as they've now learnt as long as they hold a flat line defence he doesn't go anywhere.
BFG
Super User
Super User

Post by BFG »

kend wrote: Sun Sep 10, 2017 10:03 am
There was one moment in the second half where that scrum just completely crumbled, that is one of the easiest signs that as a unit they are clinging on for dear life
There were several points where the Saints scrum crumbled as well. Were they hanging on for dear life? Overall the scrum went well - it was one of the solid positives of the game. As was the 5 metre defence. The odd scrum will go awry, especially if the forwards are having to work as hard in defence as Tigers did in that game. Thacker has been one of the positives in the last two games - I just don't understand the negativity about him. He is a forward that can play like a back, that makes him difficult for defences to handle.

It wasn't just Tigers playing badly; Saints played well and were worth the win.

Tigers really need to find someone to replace Manu as a gainline breaker in mid-field. Smith played well (according to the ESPN stats - no missed tackles), but he just doesn't bring the same threat. Ford and Toomua need some space to work in.

New combinations, new coach, maybe not the playing balance MoC would ideally want (that said, I still remain to be convinced about his appointment). There will be some bumps along the way. The side are better than that performance.
Thacker has been decent in the loose.
It amazes me that people just don't get it and if it continues then we will continue to be disappointed!
He is a forward who can play like a back really says it all!
sapajo
Super User
Super User

Post by sapajo »

Stephen18 wrote: Sun Sep 10, 2017 10:03 am There are a lot of people on here who keep singling out Malouf to be dropped or loaned out, but yesterday I felt he was one of our better player especially in the backs doesn't miss his tackles his kick chace this week was a lot better tackling the man as soon as they caught the ball, and also able to cover back row apparently, I feel there are many other problems to address in the backs, finding a centre who offers a fret out side tamooa, stopping tamooa just running sideways and passing the ball on without drawing in any defenders and vianu learning to kick to he doesn't just keep running in to the defends as they've now learnt as long as they hold a flat line defence he doesn't go anywhere.
I have seen Nick Myloaf play in four games now and yet I have only see him run with the ball twice.
Without hope we are nothing, keep the faith, a Tiger for eternity
Stephen18
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by Stephen18 »

sapajo wrote: Sun Sep 10, 2017 10:25 am [quote=Stephen18 post_id=673410 time=<a href="tel:1505034211">1505034211</a> user_id=12229]
There are a lot of people on here who keep singling out Malouf to be dropped or loaned out, but yesterday I felt he was one of our better player especially in the backs doesn't miss his tackles his kick chace this week was a lot better tackling the man as soon as they caught the ball, and also able to cover back row apparently, I feel there are many other problems to address in the backs, finding a centre who offers a fret out side tamooa, stopping tamooa just running sideways and passing the ball on without drawing in any defenders and vianu learning to kick to he doesn't just keep running in to the defends as they've now learnt as long as they hold a flat line defence he doesn't go anywhere.
I have seen Nick Myloaf play in four games now and yet I have only see him run with the ball twice.
[/quote]
I don't see that's his fault, nor am I overly fussed if he's replaced, again I think that raise the issue that we need to sort another centre to assist in attack and fast
markharbtiger
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by markharbtiger »

I'm not sure it helps to single out players for criticism. They are doing their best I am sure. I admit to being slightly surprised at some of the team selections, but again I am sure they know better than me.
It's almost like a number of our players haven't played much together before... :smt002
wellstiger
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by wellstiger »

Agree that to single out players who did not perform would be wrong.
Lets spin that around - I believe Matt Smith, Ellis Genge and Harry Thacker possibly May earned their salt.

I'll just reiterate some senior players are passed their best and add nothing to a flagging team.

We can make excuses as being tired, overplayed and returning from injury.
If I had performed likewise I would have been verbally warned and shown the door.

As i have stated elsewhere, this trend has persisted for at least three to four seasons. New broom? Not with the squad at present.
But I hope the new hotel, match day space and car park get utilised to its potential? :smt013
Scott11
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Scott11 »

As for Wellstiger post of the day,the rot started in Cockers last two seasons,my Dad and I and a few In the Goldsmith could see it coming. A mini crisis could be turning into a real one very soon!
Mark62
Super User
Super User

Post by Mark62 »

Wellstiger makes an excellent point. I got quite excited in the week when Tigers twitter feed said there was an exciting news coming up, maybe a new player thinks I, But no it was the announcement of a new clothing range.

Not sure which old heads are past it there aren't many there, but the excitement following the summers recruitment is waning
Scott11
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Scott11 »

2 forwards who couldn't get in their previous teams says it all!
Tiglon
Super User
Super User

Post by Tiglon »

Well that was awful.

Remember when we had Johnson and Kay in the 2nd row? Back, Moody and Corry in the back row?

Compare that to the downright mediocrity in those positions now and you can see the problem. The other clubs around us get it, and have spent a lot of money on these positions in recent years, as well as developing excellent home grown players.

Tigers were massively flattered by the scoreline yesterday, thanks to some missed Saints opportunities and a moment of genius from May. I was optimistic even after the Bath game - not any more.
G.K
Super User
Super User

Post by G.K »

Oh dear, oh dear, oh dear - Tigers are now just average at best and are dropping down the pecking order season by season. :smt009

And, as I said over the Summer - it was a really bad idea to swap Burns for Ford, misses too many straight forward kicks for a top notch FH. :smt009
Nowadays referees decide matches, players by how much.
Bundy

Post by Bundy »

After all the hype of pre-season the game yesterday revealed how unfounded it was. Too many nondescript signings and aside from the scrum nothing to rely on. In the last few seasons we have been kidded that when we get a fit squad of players then all will be well - now I really can't see that the (few) players we have injured will make much if any difference when they return. After years of HQ Finals and then 'only' reaching the top four in the last few seasons, I fear even that is now beyond us unless we see a significant and surprising shift in how we play
:smt010
Roly
Super User
Super User

Post by Roly »

And people wonder why there is swearing on the terraces....

Another very poor performance. Other teams have moved on, and can improve their game from week to week. Tigers have done neither. Two games in and the writing is on the wall - continue like this and mid-table will be the aspiration. Tigers' 'nearest' rivals already have a near double figures points lead over them. And, that will be difficult to claw back.

Whenever I say Tigers are in decline (and have been for a while), I'm called out as a troll, as not a true Tigers fan, as posting without substantiation.... Anyone who watched the first two games with a different point of view - please stand up.

I'm not sure what can be done to fix this, but it needs to be fixed fast. We can only hope that it is fixed - nobody fears this team anymore.
“It is no use saying, ‘We are doing our best.’ You have got to succeed in doing what is necessary.” Sir Winston Churchill.
Coops
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Coops »

Spoke to a colleague and Saints fan this morning - he was genuinely surprised that we lost, and didn't turn up! He expected a fully explosive backlash from Leicester, especially at an East Midlands Derby like this.

Like me, he doesn't know where Tigers go from here.
brooksey845

Post by brooksey845 »

Watching the game from the weekend disappointed. For me Thacker has to start look at brits he has limiting factors in what he can do but Saracens allow him to play his game, Genge awesome, rest of the pack need a reality check need to start working harder, Mike Williams makes a difference but is just prone to not thinking by either not focusing on making a catch or no arm tackles, When is Thompstone fit feel we could do with his grunt in the back? Youngs and Ford are always going to struggle behind a pack that are going backwards and our new backline are never going to look as good without Manu in it far to predictable.