Saints Away

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Re: Saints Away

Post by RagingBull »

Kalamafoni would make a very good 6 with a attacking 8 IMO.
RE Coaching what is Jake White doing these days perhaps he might fancy a consultancy role for the time being esp with the forwards :smt075

and is any of toulons 50 number 8's wanting game time?
drc_007
Super User
Super User

Post by drc_007 »

RagingBull wrote: Sat Sep 09, 2017 7:43 pm Kalamafoni would make a very good 6 with a attacking 8 IMO.
Just what I was thinking.
Dr H Flashman MBE
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Dr H Flashman MBE »

I am what has been described as a "happy clapper" but that has made even me feel dejected. I was really looking forward to this season, our signings looked good, injuries low and pre season a dream. Now this.
That was a fairly tepid and spineless performance. Genge aside, the rest showed nothing. The backs predictable and utterly without thrust or desire. The forwards, where I thought we would be great this season looked like they weren't up for it.
Shocking performance, and after the shocking games last season, it appears that it's just the same old same old. But I feel with that sort of game, 4th is looking hard already... 2 games in.
Let's hope for a real tigers team next game. If this team knows what that means.
There is never any points for 2nd place...
westwinds31
Super User
Super User

Post by westwinds31 »

The opening 2 games have a similar feeling to last season, although granted we won at Kingsholm after being 20+ points down but then backed it up with a defeat at home to Wasps. Slater was in that side by the way. The Gloucester game kind of papered over the obvious cracks in defence, the breakdown and also in attack. Last week against Bath, we nearly won a game and I think that the frantic last 10 minutes again, papered over the rubbish that went before.

Rugby as we know is a very simple game. You win your set piece, you keep hold of the ball and you front up. If you do all of those things and lose, then you've likely been beaten by a better side, but you can hold your head up. Tigers at the moment appear clueless. Stats don't lie where the set piece is concerned, the line out was terrible. The throw, the timing, the lifting and the handling were all shoddy. I'm guessing that we hammered this in training during the week, but for some reason it's not working in the heat of the battle.

We offer nothing at the breakdown. We don't clear out. The Bateman incident was a classic example. Forward runs straight into opposition tacklers, there's no support and we get turned over. Time and time again this happens.

If I were Gloucester, I'd look at our two games and focus on high balls to our back three, flooding the breakdown and coming up hard in defence. That should do it.

There's only one positive, it's only September and we have to get things right.
moorsman1
Tiger Cub

Post by moorsman1 »

Totally shambolic performance across the team. Doesn't seem to be any cohesive plan. Very disappointed to see that performance.
HantsTiger
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by HantsTiger »

drc_007 wrote: Sat Sep 09, 2017 7:37 pm Kalamafoni made 20 tackles missed none, Hamilton was just behind on 19 missed 1. They also made significant yardage (20 m) carrying the ball.

In contrast none of the tight-five made it into double figures ball carrying. Kitchener 1m, Barrow 2m, T Youngs 1m, Cole 2m.

In contrast 6 members of Saints pack made it into double figures, even Brookes managed 9m.
Their yardage was really helped by us failing to complete a tackle time and time again! How many times did they start crawling forward or get back up and carry on? Only Thacker seemed to do this for us and we didn't sort it out in defence!
BFG
Super User
Super User

Post by BFG »

Back row seems to be getting stick again from some quarters.
IMO Cole apart that tight five is about as tight as someone I once met in Amsterdam, it's all over the place!
Without proper foundations the rest stand little chance against a team come to fight!
chewbacca
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by chewbacca »

Changed coaches, changed players no discernible difference from the previous 3 + years. What hasn't changed, why senior management of course. Sad decline of the once most potent side in English rugby. You stand still you go backwards
I'm not cynical just experienced
TigerCam
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerCam »

Based on the past 2 games what are the odds on the Tigers taking the drop?
Whoever said "one person cannot change the world' never ate undercooked bat
chewbacca
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by chewbacca »

TigerCam wrote: Sat Sep 09, 2017 8:40 pm Based on the past 2 games what are the odds on the Tigers taking the drop?
Resorting to praying Worcs don't find some form coz we sure as hell haven't
I'm not cynical just experienced
BFG
Super User
Super User

Post by BFG »

TigerCam wrote: Sat Sep 09, 2017 8:40 pm Based on the past 2 games what are the odds on the Tigers taking the drop?
I don't like to brag but very long!
Mind you who was it said Saints bottom four! :smt022
What with Wuss about no chance the drop, some of the most average players I've really ever seen in that Wuss pack, not naming one (ex) but it makes me chuckle that they are actually paying him to play, great bit of business by one club to offload him and ensure safety! :smt005
Scott11
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Scott11 »

So 9 points needed from the next 3 to just match last season's fixtures!
fleabane
Super User
Super User

Post by fleabane »

Simon Cohen nailed his colours to the mast over the appointment of MOC who has yet to demonstrate that he is DOR material. Based on today's performance, following the dire game against Bath, one wonders who should go first. It will not do to say that the changes to playing and backroom staff have to settle.

The decline in performance on the field seems to be directly proportionate to the loss of the spirit that used to drive this club on and off the field.

On paper the squad is good enough. Something at the club isn't, call it spirit, drive, community, attitude or whatever, until it is rediscovered results like today's will continue to occur.
Valhalla I am coming!
ellis9
Super User
Super User

Post by ellis9 »

To be fair MOC isn't the DOR, we don't have one, he is the head coach.

I said it would take a lot for me to believe that firstly sacking Cockerill was the correct decision and secondly apppointing MOC his place was a good decision.

I was starting to believe that it may well have been correct when we announced the signings we did and saw what team we could pick. However, after the opening 2 fixtures, I am back to being 100% certain that Cockerill should still be Leicester Tigers DOR.
Leicestertinytiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Leicestertinytiger »

Feel like it's the front 5 that need to front up, bar Genge! A lot was bigged up about Barrow pre season but so far him and Kitchener have offered nothing going forwards or in defence!

Would like to see again the backrow that was put out against the Ospreys in Williams Hamilton and Kalamafoni. Would be tempted to stick in Wells in the engine room and switch Barrow to no.5 who needs to step it up!