Tigers v Bath

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

johnthegriff
Super User
Super User

Re: Tigers v Bath

Post by johnthegriff »

Lovely for MOC that he gets the chance to select from a nearly uninjured squad. I don't understand why there is conjecture regarding Fred Tuilagi, I believe he will not be included in the 23 simply because he is not ready yet, he is a twenty year old kid who has performed very well in Bridgend and did OK against Ospreys at Welford Rd. He is not overweight for his position, he may need to build up stamina but he could make the grade and if he does it has nothing to do with his name it is because he is good enough and some one saw the potential.
The backs look good, yes we have lost some from last season but have also made a few signings and young players have progressed. Back-up in the centre comes from Smith, Tait, Catchpole, Thacker and although we haven't seen him yet Owen. We have lost Roberts, Betham who frankly wasn't very good last season and Owen Williams, Mermoz was never ours to lose and when he was here spent most of his time injured so will not be missed. Fulback is sparsely covered but George Worth showed last season that he will not let us down when and wherever he is selected. I believe there may be another signing although probably not the one many have anticipated but a prospect with potential.
Scott11
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Scott11 »

I'm talking about centres! I'm not worried about our back 3,it's centres where we are In trouble!
Scott11
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Scott11 »

Just to add Williams was the highest assist maker in the AP this calendar year.
Tiglon
Super User
Super User

Post by Tiglon »

Scott11 wrote: Tue Aug 29, 2017 11:54 am I'm talking about centres! I'm not worried about our back 3,it's centres where we are In trouble!
My point with the other clubs was that all clubs have areas, not necessarily centre, where there will be problems if they have 2 long term injuries. My examples were the Exeter back 3, Wasps locks and Sarries centres.
big john
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by big john »

Centre is a bit of a worry with Manu's track record and Smith and Tait are not getting any younger and didn't have their best season last term.

I am also very twitchy about 15 as TV is great going forward but can be very hit and miss at best in defence, Tait seems to struggle there now for pace and Worth just needs a year or so more.

Centre we have options all be it not the best but fullback really could cost us unless we have a winger that can slip in but I guess if they could we would have seen it last term rather than Burns and a weaker 12/13 pair
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

I think Charlie Thacker might be ready to try and make the step up IMO, certainly could have a chance IMO.
Not saying he is ready to make any big impact but i think he could certainly be on par with Roberts, he's coming off a decent end of season with Nottingham and didn't look out of his depth off season (Abit Friendlies do tend to mean little on the whole).
Scott11
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Scott11 »

http://www.leicestermercury.co.uk/sport ... pes-395352
If the worse comes to it,Wells and Mapapalangi?
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

Chobbsy wrote: Tue Aug 29, 2017 10:59 am
Mark62 wrote: Tue Aug 29, 2017 7:54 am Jp14 I respect your opinion.

He played a part in Bridgend on a horrible wet night against a 2nd string ospreys side and looked ok.
Against Treviso he made some carries but lost the ball twice in contact and never really got over the gain line. Defensively yes he put some hits in but for someone of his size there was no real impact.

If he had a different surname he wouldn't even be in the discussion.
I think you hit the nail on the head, we see the surname and believe he will automatically as good as his dad and uncles
I seem like I'm saying this for the billionth time, Tigers would have been interested in any Samoan No8, Tuilagi surname had nothing or little to do with it, like it or not there are going to have to play Tuilagi Jr in AWC in November cus Mapapalangi and Kalamafoni might be with Tonga
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
Scott11
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Scott11 »

Bath could be without 3 TH,Attwood,Underhill, Faletau,Louw,Burns,JJ and Watson!
Dr H Flashman MBE
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Dr H Flashman MBE »

Love and hate this game all in one..win and I get to stroll around with a quiet satisfaction that the planets have realigned and all is back to the way it should be..lose, and it's hell on earth at work!!
If Bath don't have those players, then they will be there for the taking. Our preseason has looked impressive and MOC needs a pat on the back for that. There will will always be those who preferred cockers or Madge but MOC is in the driving seat now, and I will support him and the team with my usual blindness!
Having all those players back for us and our International contingent looking good, our season is one I am looking forward to with some degree of positivity, haven't said that for a while.
There is never any points for 2nd place...
Scott11
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Scott11 »

Attwood,the Tightheads and Underhill are definites,Louw is touch and go after a shoulder op as is Burns after a head knock and the rest are Lions so should be rested.
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

johnthegriff wrote: Tue Aug 29, 2017 11:51 am . I don't understand why there is conjecture regarding Fred Tuilagi, I believe he will not be included in the 23 simply because he is not ready yet, he is a twenty year old kid who has performed very well in Bridgend and did OK against Ospreys at Welford Rd. He is not overweight for his position, he may need to build up stamina but he could make the grade and if he does it has nothing to do with his name it is because he is good enough and some one saw the potential.
Couldn't have put it better myself I think that is the Fred Tuilagi argument done until we see him again in action.
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
Tigerbeat

Post by Tigerbeat »

Leicester Tigers lost out to Wasps by the narrowest of margins in last season’s Aviva Premiership Rugby semi-final at the Ricoh Arena after finishing 4th in the league table.

Tigers only defat at Welford Road in the competition since New Year’s Day was to Exeter Chiefs at the beginning of March.

Leicester Tigers have begun a new campaign with victory in round 1 for the past five seasons, since Chiefs won 30-28 at Welford Road in the opening weekend in 2011.

Bath Rugby finished last season in 5th place in the table but won just twice in the last seven rounds, against Leicester at Twickenham and Gloucester at the Recreation Ground.

Bath’s only round 1 loss since 2006 came at Gloucester in 2009.

The last six meetings between the two clubs in Premiership Rugby are evenly split with three wins apiece, whilst Bath’s only victory at Welford Road in Premiership Rugby was 13-12 in November 2003.

Welford Road, 3pm – Live on BT Sport

Referee: Luke Pearce (62nd Premiership game).

Assistant Referees: Anthony Woodthorpe, Simon McConnell.

TMO: Graham Hughes.

Read more at http://www.premiershiprugby.com/preview ... xi0sz1B.99
SUPPORT THE MATT HAMPSON TRUST
www.matthampson.co.uk
ourla
Super User
Super User

Post by ourla »

Leicester -5 on the handicap

Must win game and with Bath's problems they should win but whether they cover that will depend on the backs clicking.
Scott11
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Scott11 »

Leicester by 12 for me