Tigers v Bath

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

baz1664
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Tigers v Bath

Post by baz1664 »

A very strong team, only concern is the backs replacements look weak, a few more injuries and we could be looking very thin in that department, any idea where Gareth Owen is? Going to be a huge game for Malouf, inexperienced at 15s, would have preferred Holmes as he has looked good in pre season. I like the look of Ryan, with him and O'Conner we have good options at the break down pinching ball back, going to be a tough game, agree the forwards need to do a job on Bath, if we do then I think the Tigers backline could run in some serious points, I'll go for Tigers by 10.
Clowbeck
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by Clowbeck »

drc_007 wrote: Fri Sep 01, 2017 12:14 pm Leicester Tigers (v Bath Rugby, Welford Road, Sunday 3.00pm)

14 Nick Malouf
Malouf being named to start is a surprise, in my opinion he's looked at sea in the two pre-season games I've seen. Plenty of talent there and youtube clips indicate he'll be a great asset later in season once he's acclimatised to 15s and the Premiership, it's a risk that may or may not work; I was expecting to see Holmes start.

Burns starting from the bench is another twist, although this is perhaps a good shout, eases some of the hyped pressure from both fly halves.

Really looking forward to it. :smt026
Big Dai
Super User
Super User

Post by Big Dai »

I'm away for this one, sorting a house move out. (Son! Inconsiderate beggar) looks to be a tight match up. Bath have the edge on paper for me but home advantage could sway that. We need to gel and do it quickly. I'll be reading all your reports with interest. I hope the quality on here will be up to standard?
Exile Wigstonite living in Wales.
Poet laureate of the "One Eyed Turk".
Bar stool philosopher in the "Wilted Daffodil"
jgriffin
Super User
Super User

Post by jgriffin »

I think we will have a 10 point edge frankly, unless we completely misfire. Look for massive fireworks early doors, and I would not be surprised to see a couple of yellows very early. The scrum changes will benefit them IMO.
Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95
A game played on grass in the open air by teams of XV.
Chobbsy
Super User
Super User

Post by Chobbsy »

Simon239 wrote: Fri Sep 01, 2017 12:20 pm strong Bath team

Bath Rugby

15 Anthony Watson

14 Semesa Rokoduguni

13 Jonathan Joseph

12 Max Clark

11 Matt Banahan

10 Rhys Priestland

9 Chris Cook

1 Beno Obano

2 Tom Dunn

3 Kane Palma-Newport

4 Luke Charteris

5 Elliott Stooke

6 Matt Garvey (c)

7 Francois Louw

8 Taulupe Faletau

Replacements

16 Jack Walker

17 Nick Auterac

18 Anthony Perenise

19 James Phillips

20 Paul Grant

21 Kahn Fotuali’i

22 Freddie Burns

23 Ben Tapuai
A very good set of backs with a mix of speed and power and then Burns to come on
God created rugby so footballers have heros too
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

newbie wrote: Fri Sep 01, 2017 2:07 pm The only other 'surprise' would be I don't think many would have picked Ryan at blindside ahead of Williams or Hamilton - still great to have the new season staring and hope that we can start with a convincing win!!!
Williams is more of a finisher imo but I agree with you about Hamilton,
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

Front row dominance definitely despite the fact I'm a fan of Obano, rest of the pack will be a right shoot out, I agree that Bath want to get impact players like Foto'ali, Burns and Tapuai to finish us off but Harrison is good at quick ball, J Ford has proved himself in preseason and Mathew Tait is an experienced player. I predict a BP 33-17 win, back line firing with a strong scrum and lineout too fingers crossed🤞
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
TigerCam
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerCam »

Two really good sides. Lets hope for a hum-dinger of a game? A lot of pace in the Bath backline - remember Twickers? As long as they do not kick the ball away to Bath then Tigers to edge it by 5?
Whoever said "one person cannot change the world' never ate undercooked bat
TigerCam
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerCam »

TigerCam wrote: Mon Aug 28, 2017 1:13 pm Flying back from KL on wednesday night, couple of days to lose the jet-lag and then WR here I come - itchin to go!!
I didn't realise that the Kuala Lumper Tigers have an association with our Tigers? Unfortunately no game to see while I was there as it is their pre-season too.
Whoever said "one person cannot change the world' never ate undercooked bat
BFG
Super User
Super User

Post by BFG »

No real surprises for me in the Leicester 23.
I thought Ryan might start this one with Williams fitness being uncertain.
Also not surprised to see Malouf play due to the pace of the Bath back three, Holmes had done alright but possibly Malouf might have a bit of extra gas off the mark, and footwork.
Only real concern for me is Thacker but Bath aren't at full strength up front so should be alright, never seen Cole do well alongside, hopefully a first!
Stephen18
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by Stephen18 »

Good looking team one of the few times I can remember in the last few year we had pretty much a full squad to choose from, only real surprise for me is malouf although I assume coaches know more that me about players, and would probably have preferred an out and out center on the bench, so manu could be eased in a bit more.
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

BFG wrote: Fri Sep 01, 2017 4:15 pm No real surprises for me in the Leicester 23.
Also not surprised to see Malouf play due to the pace of the Bath back three, Holmes had done alright but possibly Malouf might have a bit of extra gas off the mark, and footwork.
Only real concern for me is Thacker but Bath aren't at full strength up front so should be alright, never seen Cole do well alongside, hopefully a first!
Cole and Thacker combined well a couple of seasons back when we got to the HEC quarters against Racing.

Perfect game to have Thacker on the bench. Bath are strongest in the backrow and Thacker covers 7 without taking away a physical impact option from the bench (having Hamilton to come on as people tire and Falatau gets into his stride could be a big factor). Bath's scrum doesn't look up to much but they will threaten our lineout where Thacker is probably the best at the club. I'd prefer McGuigan on the bench against a side that likes to play tight but the weather and the Bath lineup indicates more that they are coming up here to play and may well probe side to side in that Crusaders style to try and wear down our forwards.
BFG
Super User
Super User

Post by BFG »

sam16111986 wrote: Fri Sep 01, 2017 6:29 pm
BFG wrote: Fri Sep 01, 2017 4:15 pm No real surprises for me in the Leicester 23.
Cole and Thacker combined well a couple of seasons back when we got to the HEC quarters against Racing.

Perfect game to have Thacker on the bench. Bath are strongest in the backrow and Thacker covers 7 without taking away a physical impact option from the bench (having Hamilton to come on as people tire and Falatau gets into his stride could be a big factor). Bath's scrum doesn't look up to much but they will threaten our lineout where Thacker is probably the best at the club. I'd prefer McGuigan on the bench against a side that likes to play tight but the weather and the Bath lineup indicates more that they are coming up here to play and may well probe side to side in that Crusaders style to try and wear down our forwards.
I have never ever seen them combine well, not well!
If Bath's scrum doesn't look up to much then it makes sense to attack that area, makes sense to attack any weak area of a team, that's why sides have attacked Leicester up front for the past two years.
Personally I think you underestimate them when saying their scrum doesn't look up to much, I think it is there for the taking but not with liberties IMO!
Anyway it is what it is, McGuigan is injured as far as I am aware so that selection is pretty much forced.
I personally wouldn't be trying to stretch the game late on against Bath with their back three and Burns, Tapui and Kahn on the bench, and Toomua and Manu only really just returned, that makes little sense IMO!
Get the points on the board and minutes in the legs and then close it out is my view!
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

BFG wrote: Fri Sep 01, 2017 8:05 pm
sam16111986 wrote: Fri Sep 01, 2017 6:29 pm

I have never ever seen them combine well, not well!
If Bath's scrum doesn't look up to much then it makes sense to attack that area, makes sense to attack any weak area of a team, that's why sides have attacked Leicester up front for the past two years.
Personally I think you underestimate them when saying their scrum doesn't look up to much, I think it is there for the taking but not with liberties IMO!
Anyway it is what it is, McGuigan is injured as far as I am aware so that selection is pretty much forced.
I personally wouldn't be trying to stretch the game late on against Bath with their back three and Burns, Tapui and Kahn on the bench, and Toomua and Manu only really just returned, that makes little sense IMO!
Get the points on the board and minutes in the legs and then close it out is my view!
No, I think Bath will try to spread the game and Thacker is entirely the kind of forward that is able to defend that and could be an asset when people are tiring.

I'm also unsure how easy it will be to attack an opposition scrum under the new laws. Selecting Thacker isn't taking liberties. He's held our scrum solid enough against international opponents before now.
BFG
Super User
Super User

Post by BFG »

It's an enforced change so it is what it is really but Bath certainly will try and spread the game late on, not so sure our centres should be running around at full pelt on 70 minutes, don't let them have ball is the answer, keep it tight and boss them, going lightweight up front is not the answer to that, that's playing to their strengths!