Tigers v Bath

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Tiglon
Super User
Super User

Re: Tigers v Bath

Post by Tiglon »

I don't think our backline is as weak in terms as depth as many are saying - maybe we're all just scared after being without our two first choice centres (and probably most expensive backs) for 95% of the season?

Exeter in the back 3 have only Turner, Nowell, Woodburn and Short as senior players with any experience. If they lose 2 of those for most of the season they too will have a massive problem and will be relying on youngsters. They don't have the experience of the likes of Smith and Tait in reserve.

If Launchbury and Gaskell get injured, Wasps will look very exposed at lock.

I would be surprised if anyone thinks Saracens centre options are very exciting - Barritt, Bosch and Taylor, then they are down to kids with a handful of Premiership appearances or putting wingers in there.

Sometimes Tigers fans seem to be like the bloke with a Porsche on his drive who thinks everyone else has 3 Lamborghini's.
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

Plus we have also got Charlie Thacker who has had a good preseason, I wouldn't worry but to be cautiously optimistic about our depth is justifiable.

My worry is that we lose Toomua to Australia in a similar way to Wasps losing Beale.
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

Mark62 wrote: Tue Aug 29, 2017 7:54 am Jp14 I respect your opinion.

He played a part in Bridgend on a horrible wet night against a 2nd string ospreys side and looked ok.
Against Treviso he made some carries but lost the ball twice in contact and never really got over the gain line. Defensively yes he put some hits in but for someone of his size there was no real impact.

If he had a different surname he wouldn't even be in the discussion.
Not necessarily, I think Tigers would have been interested in any Samoan No8, having Tuilagi as your surname has nothing to do with it, Tigers disregarded Vavae and Andy Tuilagi years ago with barely a cap to their name each
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
Super User
Super User

Post by 4071 »

Tiglon wrote: Tue Aug 29, 2017 9:04 am I don't think our backline is as weak in terms as depth as many are saying - maybe we're all just scared after being without our two first choice centres (and probably most expensive backs) for 95% of the season?

Exeter in the back 3 have only Turner, Nowell, Woodburn and Short as senior players with any experience. If they lose 2 of those for most of the season they too will have a massive problem and will be relying on youngsters. They don't have the experience of the likes of Smith and Tait in reserve.

I would be surprised if anyone thinks Saracens centre options are very exciting - Barritt, Bosch and Taylor, then they are down to kids with a handful of Premiership appearances or putting wingers in there.

Sometimes Tigers fans seem to be like the bloke with a Porsche on his drive who thinks everyone else has 3 Lamborghini's.
Whilst I don't entirely disagree with your point - that some sides have far less depth in some positions than we do, they just were far luckier with injuries - you didn't pick the best examples. In the back three Exeter have those four you mention but they also have Ian Whitten and Phil Dollman. Basically, two very strong back three units before they need to start looking at their academy.

At lock, if Wasps lose Launch and Gaskell then they move straight to Symons and Myall, a pair who started more games last season than Launch and Gaskell did.
Tiglon
Super User
Super User

Post by Tiglon »

4071 wrote: Tue Aug 29, 2017 9:30 am
Tiglon wrote: Tue Aug 29, 2017 9:04 am I don't think our backline is as weak in terms as depth as many are saying - maybe we're all just scared after being without our two first choice centres (and probably most expensive backs) for 95% of the season?

Whilst I don't entirely disagree with your point - that some sides have far less depth in some positions than we do, they just were far luckier with injuries - you didn't pick the best examples. In the back three Exeter have those four you mention but they also have Ian Whitten and Phil Dollman. Basically, two very strong back three units before they need to start looking at their academy.

At lock, if Wasps lose Launch and Gaskell then they move straight to Symons and Myall, a pair who started more games last season than Launch and Gaskell did.
I'm not sure Whitten and Dollman are the level of quality that a lot of people, on this forum at least, demand we have as backup. Perhaps both more centres too, but it's a fair point.

At centre, if Tigers lose Manu and Toomua then they move straight to Smith and Tait, a pair who started more games last season than Manu and Toomua did. I'm being a little facetious there admittedly, and I these things are all debatable - one person's idea of quality backup is different to another's.

If we have another long term injury to one of our top players, I am sure we will use the injury dispensation for a decent short term cover, like we did with Mermoz. Due to the salary cap, all teams in the Premiership do have potential weak spots if they suffer injuries to certain players.

What if Slade and Steenson get injured at Exeter? Or Taylor and Cruse at Wasps?

I'm massively excited to see the current Tigers team in action this year, and I do believe we have the right balance between first XV quality and squad depth. Furthermore, in the likes of Holmes and Malouf I think we have signed the right kind of squad depth - players who may have the potential to be more than just backup in the future.
BFG
Super User
Super User

Post by BFG »

The difference with Saracens in the main is their robustness.
Brad Barritt though is an absolute rock for them.
Players like that are like gold and so underrated IMO, like Mike Tindall once was and Anthony Allen.
It can't be underestimated how important that 12 position is and IMO in terms of stability 12 is the most important position after tight head prop!
Chobbsy
Super User
Super User

Post by Chobbsy »

Doghashadhisday wrote: Sun Aug 27, 2017 11:04 pm Cant wait for the season to start. Here is what I think the starting line up will look like
1 Genge
2 Youngs T
3 Logo
4 Barrow
5 Kitchener
6 Hamilton
7 O'Connor (if fit or W Evans)
8 Kalamafoni
9 Youngs B
10 Ford G
11 May
12 Toomoua
13 Tuilagi
14 Brady (if fit or Holmes)
15 Veianu
Subs
Bateman, Betts, Thacker, Fitzgerald, Smith Harrison, Ford
Is Thompstone injured?
God created rugby so footballers have heros too
Chobbsy
Super User
Super User

Post by Chobbsy »

JP14 wrote: Mon Aug 28, 2017 5:26 pm I would put Fred Tuilagi on the bench or Mike Williams but Tuilagi maybe concussed idk
No way, unfit and over weight
Chobbsy
Super User
Super User

Post by Chobbsy »

kpj tiger wrote: Mon Aug 28, 2017 7:34 pm
Mark62 wrote: Mon Aug 28, 2017 7:13 pm Without wishing to sound like a broken record , Mapalanga is the new Steve Mafi, but maybe even better and will soon be pushing for at least a bench place
From the way MOC spoke about him he might be close to the 23 already, wouldn't surprise me at all to see him on the bench being as he can cover second row and back row
I doubt MOC signed him for the development side so I would not be surprised to see him on the bench.
Chobbsy
Super User
Super User

Post by Chobbsy »

Mark62 wrote: Tue Aug 29, 2017 7:54 am Jp14 I respect your opinion.

He played a part in Bridgend on a horrible wet night against a 2nd string ospreys side and looked ok.
Against Treviso he made some carries but lost the ball twice in contact and never really got over the gain line. Defensively yes he put some hits in but for someone of his size there was no real impact.

If he had a different surname he wouldn't even be in the discussion.
I think you hit the nail on the head, we see the surname and believe he will automatically as good as his dad and uncles
Chobbsy
Super User
Super User

Post by Chobbsy »

Soggypitch wrote: Tue Aug 29, 2017 8:29 am As I've been saying for months now, our forward options are good in all positions, but in the backs we don't have any depth of quality.

So if they mainly stay fit (G Ford, Toomua, Manu, May and Veainu in particular) we will have a very good season I think. If they don't then our second string backs are much weaker than Sarries, Wasps and Exeter, so we will win nothing again.

Believe me I am really hoping for an injury free season and some silverware!!
Exactly like last season, a good back line until injuries hit and then we had a substandard one for the rest of the season.
Scott11
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Scott11 »

Have people forgot about Hill,devoto,Bodily and Campagnaro for Chiefs and Tomkins,Taylor and Lozowski for Sarries?!
Scott11
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Scott11 »

The simle fact is we've brought Owen in and lost Williams,Mermoz,Betham and Roberts. We are considerably weaker in MF once TNT don't play.
Tiglon
Super User
Super User

Post by Tiglon »

Scott11 wrote: Tue Aug 29, 2017 11:23 am Have people forgot about Hill,devoto,Bodily and Campagnaro for Chiefs and Tomkins,Taylor and Lozowski for Sarries?!
No.

Hill, Devoto, and Campagnaro are not usually back 3 players. Is Bodilly really the kind of proven Premiership full back you would expect Tigers to have? More so than Tait?

Tomkins went back to Rugby League years ago, didn't he?! Tompkins is their current centre who has almost zero senior experience. Taylor I clearly mentioned, but yes maybe if Malins is seen as ready to cover Farrell during 6N and AI then Lozowski could cover centre.
Tiglon
Super User
Super User

Post by Tiglon »

Scott11 wrote: Tue Aug 29, 2017 11:26 am The simle fact is we've brought Owen in and lost Williams,Mermoz,Betham and Roberts. We are considerably weaker in MF once TNT don't play.
Mermoz was injury cover for Toomua. Now Toomua is fit he is not needed. If Toomua gets another long term injury I'm sure we will sign cover again.

Every team is weaker once two of their best players don't play.