Post by Scott11 »

First person ever! Best friends forever :smt049
tigerfeet13
Silver Member
Silver Member

Re: Tigers v Bath

Post by tigerfeet13 »

Looking forward to the season starting.
Will be listening eagerly for the first time a commentator says "Harrison, Ford."
Rugby Special... Is the Tigers!
Mark62
Super User
Super User

Post by Mark62 »

Without wishing to sound like a broken record , Mapalanga is the new Steve Mafi, but maybe even better and will soon be pushing for at least a bench place
kpj tiger
Super User
Super User

Post by kpj tiger »

Mark62 wrote: Mon Aug 28, 2017 7:13 pm Without wishing to sound like a broken record , Mapalanga is the new Steve Mafi, but maybe even better and will soon be pushing for at least a bench place
From the way MOC spoke about him he might be close to the 23 already, wouldn't surprise me at all to see him on the bench being as he can cover second row and back row
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

Scott11 wrote: Mon Aug 28, 2017 6:15 pm Lot of back row options now and with our 6/lock hybrids it means our bench can contain 2 BR players if need be. Kalamafoni and BOC are nailed on if fit with one of Williams or Fitzy at 6 the other one on the bench. Then the dilemma is do we go with Ryan or Hamilton as the other spot? BOC is more likely than Kalamafoni to do the 80 so I would go Hamilton. Croft would be overkill in the squad unless Williams or Fitzy don't make the 23. Let's see Bath though first because Underhill is out and if Louw doesn't make it after his operation their backrow will be a more carrying one with Mercer and Toby in the wide channels and Garvey doing the dirty work.
It's Ryan or Williams at 6. Fitz will only make the starting 15 if Kitch isn't fit. Even then I'd be tempted to go with Mapapalangi and whichever of Ryan or Williams doesn't start on the bench. As Thacker will be the reserve hooker we already have an emergency 7 option of we need one.
Scott11
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Scott11 »

Yes forgot McGuigan was out,that changes things. Can Ryan play 8 as well as 6 and 7?
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

Mark62 wrote: Mon Aug 28, 2017 5:42 pm
JP14 wrote: Mon Aug 28, 2017 5:26 pm I would put Fred Tuilagi on the bench or Mike Williams but Tuilagi maybe concussed idk
Fred Tuilagi on the bench for a premiership game :smt038 :smt039 That is hilarious
He played well in preseason I don't see the issue
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

I have watched Mapapalangi highlights on Youtube he seems to be a good player but I remember Mafi being a bit quicker then what I can see from Mapapalangi
Scott11
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Scott11 »

Preseason? What did he play for,an hour? Nowhere near ready yet,lets see if he shines in the A league and AWC first! Im not convinced.
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

It was more than a hour but yh I get ur point
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

I think he has got it he just needs to be fitter I guess, which is definitely possible to improve fitness over a short period, ik that cus I go to a gym.
ellis9
Super User
Super User

Post by ellis9 »

Isn't it great to have all these options to pick from?!
Scott11
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Scott11 »

It certainly is Ellis,shame we cant talk the same about our centres!
Mark62
Super User
Super User

Post by Mark62 »

Jp14 I respect your opinion.

He played a part in Bridgend on a horrible wet night against a 2nd string ospreys side and looked ok.
Against Treviso he made some carries but lost the ball twice in contact and never really got over the gain line. Defensively yes he put some hits in but for someone of his size there was no real impact.

If he had a different surname he wouldn't even be in the discussion.
Soggypitch
Super User
Super User

Post by Soggypitch »

As I've been saying for months now, our forward options are good in all positions, but in the backs we don't have any depth of quality.

So if they mainly stay fit (G Ford, Toomua, Manu, May and Veainu in particular) we will have a very good season I think. If they don't then our second string backs are much weaker than Sarries, Wasps and Exeter, so we will win nothing again.

Believe me I am really hoping for an injury free season and some silverware!!
Soggypitch